“amazing fish and chips!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sand Dollar Restaurant & Lounge
Price range: US$5 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene, View
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“amazing fish and chips!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

my three young kids stopped in for dinner on a friday night after playing in the sand. there was only one other table filled, thankfully, because the kids can sometimes be loud. they had coloring books, kid menus and high chairs, which was great. the clam chowder was tasty except for the stale croutons on top. the kids did not like the macaroni and cheese, though, because it was too adulty....penne noodles with a very thick cheese sauce and chives on the top. however the fish and chips were wonderful and i loved their tartar sauce! very good fries too. very nice and helpful service although a bit rough around the edges.

1 Thank wkaiser

Yachats, Oregon
“Best bloody mary I have had in years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We could not find the other restaurant in town we were looking for, and happened upon this place at random. I felt like a bloody mary, and the sign said lounge so I decided we would try it. Let me just say OH MY! Really was the best Bloody Mary I have had in years, not many places around me make their own mix and here they do. Don't need a V-8 with one of these beautiful drinks. My boyfriend and I both had the potato scramble with sourdough toast, and it was delicious. The bread was homemade, as it seems was the jam. I would highly recommend this place to anyone in the Rockaway area.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Shannone32
Portland, Oregon
“the sand dollar”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

my wife and I went once and that's all I will say. from what I read in comments most are true. the chowder is thick and what I call soup/stew not chowder at all.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Brian S
Bay City, Oregon
“The view is about it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I have been to this little place twice. Once for lunch and again for breakfast. For lunch I ordered the calamari and a cup of clam chowder. The chowder is nothing special, it was bland but colored with paprika. It had an odd texture, kind of gritty, like potatoes had been blended to thicken it but not smoothly. When our waitress, Kathleen, brought out the calamari she said the chef had told her to tell me that the order was not normally as large and not to expect as much next time. WTH? Why qualify it? Not really the thing to say if you want repeat business. My husband ordered the Reuben sandwich done on homemade bread. He said it was good, fries were good with it.

We had heard they had an amazing breakfast and decided to try that. It was horrible! We both ordered the chicken fried steak. My steak was nearly burned on the outside and raw in the middle. It was not drained properly and there was grease all over the plate mixing with my hash browns, eggs and fruit salad. They offer toast, a pancake or a waffle with breakfast. We asked for sourdough toast and was told it was homemade as well. It was a thick piece of doughy bread that didn't really taste like anything.

I think this place needs to find it's rhythm. On our first visit there was Irish music coming from the kitchen, during our breakfast there was a mix of really loud old school rock going on. Not really what I want to listen to while trying to enjoy my breakfast looking at the gorgeous Pacific. You can't beat the view and while they are trying to distinguish themselves on the coast I think they are trying a bit too hard and missing the mark. I seriously doubt they will be around long as there is little to no business in the winter here.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chris C
Victoria, Canada
“Bright, beachside cafe”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

The food was tasty but nothing fancy. It seemed overpriced for what you actually received. Its strength lies in the view of the ocean from the dining area and bright interior. Don't order the kids' menu chicken strips-they are small pieces of chicken breast smothered in deep-fried fish batter.

Visited April 2014