“Horrible Food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Slow service and horrible food. Honestly, the "beef" looked like either Dinty Moore Stew or dog food. Both the smell and the taste was unlike anything I have ever had before. In my entire life, I have never eaten an enchilada with gravy. High priced, too. Will never return to Gilberto's.

There are newer reviews for Gilberto's Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We seated ourselves, and I guess no one saw us. Took forever for someone to come to the table. Ordered a margarita while reading the menue and no one ever brought them. I had a chili reno with grandma's gravy on it. Husband had enchalatas with grandma's gravy. Horrible
Finally got the margies, they were pretty good. Were told they put a better tequila in them because we had to wait so long.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

When I asked What was up with the weird gravy on my enchilada I was explained that it is a Mexican / Irish Family recipe. That the food is authentic to that type. I mentioned that it didn't say anywhere on the menu about this fusion idea, nor have I never been to another Restaurant with this type of food. He agreed that It's a very small Region that has this kind of food offered. I mentioned they may want to put it in the menu or explain when ordering food like this that is very different than what you'd be used to. It had a Washed out Brown pasty look to it. Not only did it taste bad but looking at It was almost as bad. I do feel bad for the server and the son of the owner because they were both very nice. I think if they updated their food and add some spice and changed the brown gravy out they might be okay. It's a family recipe so I really doubt that will happen. I'm also Irish and I've never heard of this food & usually love Mexican food.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

My husband and two other couples went to Gilberto's to celebrate our friends 30th birthday. Gilberto's has been a restaurant I have been eating at for YEARS. There are a lot of dishes that I like, but my favorite dish is his nachos. They are unlike any other nachos I have ever eaten as they are each individually made. Each chip has beans, meat (chicken, beef or shrimp), followed by sour cream, guacamole, cheese, tomatoes, onions, and jalapeno. No more fighting over who gets the chips with the cheese nucleus as each chip is perfect. My friend and I shared a full order, but I think a half order would have filled us up just fine.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Brown gravy and thin salsa made this a stay-away restaurant for me. Service poor.I was surprised given the recommendation from others who have been there. Bad night? Maybe... But the brown gravy and bad salsa did not cut it for me.