“Great building, standard McMenamins food”

McMenamins Roseburg Station Pub & Brewery
Ranked #6 of 141 Restaurants in Roseburg
Price range: US$6 - US$12
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was passing through Roseburg, and decided to try the old railroad station. We have many establishments in Portland, Or which are owned by the McMenamin Brothers. I thought I would try this one. The building is intriguing, an old station, which in true McMenamin fashion is well done.
I was there on a Sunday night, and they were slammed. I was warned that it will be an hour before I got my food. This is not unusual for their places, small kitchens I guess. Not being real hungry, I ordered a small salad and a bowl of soup. They arrived reasonably quick, and they were good.
This is good pub food.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We ate here on a Sunday night around 5:30pm. We were told after being seated that we would be waiting at least 45min - 1 hour, whatever we ordered. We weren't in a rush. So no big deal. We got drinks and an appetizer (the hummus platter), while deciding on food. We waited for a good 30 minutes on the appetizer (only thing that required 'cooking' was heating the pita bread). The table next to us had ordered after us and received their chicken wing appetizer before us. We didn't say anything, but the waitress apologized and told us she would comp our appetizer.

We finally got our appetizer. Our meal arrived about 20 minutes after that. The Dungeon burger was pretty good. The jalapeno bacon barley soup had a good flavor, but wasn't anything to write home about. For dessert, we ordered the Black and Tan Brownie and a latte. Both were good.

What made this experience less than wonderful was the service. Every time food was delivered to our table, the staff practically dropped it on the table and ran. We asked the waitress if they were just short-staffed and found out that they have plenty of people. They need to have their kitchen expanded...the grill (from what we were told) isn't much bigger than the table we were eating at. Apparently this long wait is normal during their rush. So don't go between 5-8pm (I imagine the lunch rush is probably awful too). We noticed that it emptied out right around 8pm.

Finally we get to the bill and that appetizer the waitress offered to comp was still on our receipt. We just decided to pay and forget about it. So overall, food was pretty good, but the service was kind of a damper on the whole experience.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We had an early dinner here on a Friday afternoon, around 4pm. Very few patrons were there and service was excellent. I mentioned to the server that I had read reviews on Tripadvisor, and he admitted seeing some reviews about the service. While not justifying the slow service on occasion, he did say that they also have to bus the tables and other chores and not exclusively take orders and serve the meals. So, it if it busy, they might get behind a bit. We enjoyed the unique decor, the artwork, the historic photos and the signs that appear to be in Dutch, not to mention the food. We would definitely dine here again.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our family lucked upon this restaurant while traveling through Roseburg. Great ambience. Our two favorite dishes were the clam chowder and Sheridan St. burger with their special Hammerhead sauce. Also have kids menu.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

When under stress one can often see the best and worst in both people and places. We had dinner here on Father's Day and McMenamins was stressed. The very good news is that the food was excellent. The bad news was there was virtually no front of house management. The servers were doing everything, seating, orders, food delivery, table bussing, cashiering. Our server was amazing, fast, well organized, and never lost her composure. Not so everywhere else. Patrons came and walked out repeatedly. True service was slow very slow, but we could see into the kitchen and it was clear that the kitchen was overwhelmed. We were not in a hurry and the train station dinning room was very charming and interesting. We imagine that on a normal day the lack of organization out front would not be so evident and even for us the food was so well prepared overall we had a good experience. Still my advice is come early or don't be in a hurry, but do give it a try.