“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Roseburg, Oregon
“Nice place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

Not the place one instantly thinks of, but I was very pleased. Friendly, knowledgable staff and clean, comfy rooms.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

Pros:
*The guy at the front desk was very welcoming at check-in and check-out.
*The ladies in the breakfast room were very helpful, greeted everyone, quickly cleared tables, etc.
*For our purposes, it offered the best location in town.
*Pillows were nice and soft.

Cons:
*The price was very high (the rate is comparable to what I pay for Starwood Properties when travelling on business)
*The breakfast was awful (hot food was luke-warm, baked goods were dry, limited selection)
*It was extremely noisy (outside of the wedding party that came home at 1am and the screaming kids who were running the halls at 7am, we could hear anyone walking down the hall, even when not being excessively loud and the walls were paper thin so you cound nearly hear the conversations in the next room)
*Calling these "suites" is an overstatement; studio might be a more appropriate description.

In the future, I'll stay in another part of town and deal with a few extra miles to get where I need to go. This was my first stay at a Phoenix Inn, and my last if I have any other options!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank deeitup
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2011

This is my second time staying at Phoenix Ins Suites in south Salem. This motel was recommended to me by a colleague who was hosting a conference seminar that I was teaching. It is the hotel they recommend to all incoming guests. Both times I chose the king bed room with the hot tub to soak my arthritic bones.
The room is spacious even by North American standards. Even with a King bed and hot tub and seperate bath room and a double sink vanity area I had plenty of space to sprawl out my gear. The beds were super comfortable - I want to know who made them as I would buy a new one for home.
Despite being in a suite that adjoined others with hot tubs I hardly heard the other guests. I never sleep better anywhere than I do in this hotel.
The suites are exceptionally clean and were made up immaculately every day.
Location wise it is perfect - right on Commercial street gives great access to both south and north Salem. There are lots of good eating places within a 5-10 minute drive at most. Very easy to get to from I-5.
This suite has a really good breakfast included in the rate. Standard American fare but well done for an el a carte setting. I ate so well I never bothered with lunch at the conference.
My only beefs were that I could not make a long distance call from my room and the front desk was helpless to fix it. But they let me make my calls from the lobby at no charge so that was ok. And sometimes it would take them an awful long time to pick up the phone when I called front desk. But the staff were universally friendly and accomodating and always apologized meaninfully if things were not spot on. Service with a smile.
For business I could not recommend a better hotel in Salem.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

The only negative thing about this place is the slightly dated decor. Other than that everything else was very nice. Clean rooms. Clean facility. Very courteous staff.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TimDog77
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

We were very pleased with the facilities and the extremely friendly staff at the Phoenix Inn, and would definately stay there again. Great morning breakfast --- belgium waffles, eggs, sausage and a free paper. Everything was very tidy, and the beds so comfortable!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
los angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2010

Great room. The rest of the place is tacky. Terrible breakfast. Only fresh food available lousy unripe apples, bananas. Disgusting looking gravy. Industrial baked goods. Margarine. No butter. Staff really nice. Convenient, if charmless location.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Oakdale,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

We found the phoenix after a 10 hour cross Oregon drive, I pulled into a gas station and saw them next door so looked on AAA in GPS and got number, called over and asked for best AAA rate and was happy to get a great deal, the hotel is a definate step above a no frills hotel, the rooms are indeed a suite, they are roomy , quiet, and well optioned, we had a great stay here and would stay here again, Oh and the free breakfast??? Excellent ! best we had ona 8 day journey and any of the other chains we stayed at.............real nice bonus and a friendly staff.............ty

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple