First, I think Salem is very under-rated as a tourist destination. It is a very nice little town with a lot to do if you take the time to look.
The hotel is really nice. It is right next to I-5 interstate so fairly easy to locate. The front desk staff if very nice. I was checked in quickly, given 2 delicious cookies, and I went to my room. I needed a sewing kit and I called the front desk to see if they had any (some hotels no longer carry them) and I grabbed my keys and put on my shoes to go down and get it, just as I got to the elevator it opened and there was the nice woman from the front desk with a sewing kit! I couldn't believe it! That was above and beyond in my book.
The room was clean except for some small details. Also, a few power sockets looked questionable. Very strange because the rest of the hotel looked brand new. My room was huge. Very large sink area with a mini fridge next to it, and a large sitting area with a couch and a desk. There was a wall divider then a king size bed. It was VERY comfortable and the pillows were amazing as well. My room was facing the interstate. I could hear it a little bit, and I am a light sleeper, but I had no issues falling/staying asleep. The internet is free and very fast. Which is usually not the case. The hotel was completely booked that night as well. So that's great the internet was still fast.
I went to the pool. I was surprised at the size. Very small. The hotel is quite large, and the workout room was VERY nice and sizable, and then the pool and hot tub are tiny. The hot tub could comfortably fit maybe 4 people? I was the only one there so it wasn't an issue, but with how nice everything else was in the hotel the pool was a bit disappointing.
I showered after the pool and the shower head was great. I like when the spray can be adjusted. The bathroom (toilet and shower) are separate from the sink. I like this feature in a hotel, especially when there are more than one in the traveling party. The bathroom itself is a slight letdown though. It doesn't look like it belongs in the same beautiful room.
After the shower I went out to my car to grab a few things I didn't bring up the first time. It was 11PM by this time and I did not see any questionable people or the strip club that is being talked about. I stayed on a Thursday night. So maybe it's closed some nights? I had no issues with the area. I did leave a lot of things in my car and I did not feel uncomfortable doing so.
Breakfast in the morning is $5 all you can eat. I guess a free continental breakfast is no longer provided so if you want to eat you pay $5 to "upgrade". The $5 got you the typical continental fare, but also hot waffles, bacon, eggs, lots of fresh fruit. It was worth it. If I went to McDonald's across the street my iced coffee, egg mcmuffin, hashbrown, and fruit slices would have been $6ish. This was miles better. Hampton Inn has a similar breakfast but free with your stay. Not sure why they don't just charge $5 more for a room.
Overall I had a great stay, and I would stay here again. Salem is a nice town. The capitol building is beautiful. I highly recommend staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At our DoubleTree by Hilton hotel in Salem, Oregon, we are conveniently situated just off of I-5 in the heart of the Willamette Valley. Our Salem hotel is just 60 miles south of Portland and only 15 minutes from Oregon's famous wine country. We also offer close proximity to Salem's major business districts and government offices. On your next stay, warm up to a freshly baked cookie and our welcoming staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel North Salem reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Phoenix Inn Suites North Salem Hotel Salem
- Phoenix Hotel North Salem