“Great hotel in an under-rated town.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel North Salem
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Salem
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Great hotel in an under-rated town.”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

First, I think Salem is very under-rated as a tourist destination. It is a very nice little town with a lot to do if you take the time to look.

The hotel is really nice. It is right next to I-5 interstate so fairly easy to locate. The front desk staff if very nice. I was checked in quickly, given 2 delicious cookies, and I went to my room. I needed a sewing kit and I called the front desk to see if they had any (some hotels no longer carry them) and I grabbed my keys and put on my shoes to go down and get it, just as I got to the elevator it opened and there was the nice woman from the front desk with a sewing kit! I couldn't believe it! That was above and beyond in my book.

The room was clean except for some small details. Also, a few power sockets looked questionable. Very strange because the rest of the hotel looked brand new. My room was huge. Very large sink area with a mini fridge next to it, and a large sitting area with a couch and a desk. There was a wall divider then a king size bed. It was VERY comfortable and the pillows were amazing as well. My room was facing the interstate. I could hear it a little bit, and I am a light sleeper, but I had no issues falling/staying asleep. The internet is free and very fast. Which is usually not the case. The hotel was completely booked that night as well. So that's great the internet was still fast.

I went to the pool. I was surprised at the size. Very small. The hotel is quite large, and the workout room was VERY nice and sizable, and then the pool and hot tub are tiny. The hot tub could comfortably fit maybe 4 people? I was the only one there so it wasn't an issue, but with how nice everything else was in the hotel the pool was a bit disappointing.

I showered after the pool and the shower head was great. I like when the spray can be adjusted. The bathroom (toilet and shower) are separate from the sink. I like this feature in a hotel, especially when there are more than one in the traveling party. The bathroom itself is a slight letdown though. It doesn't look like it belongs in the same beautiful room.

After the shower I went out to my car to grab a few things I didn't bring up the first time. It was 11PM by this time and I did not see any questionable people or the strip club that is being talked about. I stayed on a Thursday night. So maybe it's closed some nights? I had no issues with the area. I did leave a lot of things in my car and I did not feel uncomfortable doing so.

Breakfast in the morning is $5 all you can eat. I guess a free continental breakfast is no longer provided so if you want to eat you pay $5 to "upgrade". The $5 got you the typical continental fare, but also hot waffles, bacon, eggs, lots of fresh fruit. It was worth it. If I went to McDonald's across the street my iced coffee, egg mcmuffin, hashbrown, and fruit slices would have been $6ish. This was miles better. Hampton Inn has a similar breakfast but free with your stay. Not sure why they don't just charge $5 more for a room.

Overall I had a great stay, and I would stay here again. Salem is a nice town. The capitol building is beautiful. I highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side will be quieter. (Odd numbered rooms)
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bumann84

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Great hotel that takes pets. Great location off I-5. Surprise, you will be charged $5 for a drab continental breakfast in an age when comparable hotels include. Rooms are nice with a sitting area and wood tile floors.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Rochester, WA, United States
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I enjoyed my stay. The staff was friendly, the rooms are quiet, modern and clean. Within walking distance to good restaurants. I was attending for business. This was my first time at this location. I will happily stay here again on future business trips.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

North Bend, OR, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Nice facility, great location. Hilton Honors membership benefits not what they used to be. Breakfast buffet was absolutely FORGETTABLE! In fact, I wish I could. Frozen English Muffin, still-frozen scrambled egg thingy. Save your money and time. Walk across the street to McDonalds for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Klamath Falls, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed for a long weekend. The pool was nice and clean, the rooms clean and fresh. The staff was great! Very helpful and went above and beyond even when we had a simple question. The "Business Center" is not the best equipped, but the front desk staff was able to scan and email me the documents I needed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Ashland, United States
Reviewed 4 June 2013

For those who have children, be advised this hotel is next to a busy strip club. There also seemed to be a lot of transient/homeless hanging around the nearby intersections. The hotel itself was fine and we didn't have any issues during my stay. But, the location just isn't someplace I would ever take my family again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

7 Thank Dwaine D
Fallon, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The sheets were dirty & never changed (even after staff was informed of the dirty sheets 3 times) son found dirty sock in the bed the 1st night...GROSS! trash under the beds They charge $5/person for a breakfast that I could have gotten at mcdonalds

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family