“The room smelled bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Pendleton, Oregon
“The room smelled bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is not the first time I've stayed in this motel, it has been a year so I don't remember if any of the rooms smelled bad last year. But this last week my room stank for about 2 days. I'm not a germaphobe, everything looked clean.

The bed was comfortable to me, room looked clean, my only complaint is that it smelled bad.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank cathy s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My room was extremely dirty. There stains all over the sheets, mold on the wall, cigarette burns all over the comforter, and something thick and splattered all over the ceiling. It appears it is designed to be a very inexpensive option for people to stay for an extended period of time. My room smelled terrible. I went out and bought eye drops and allergy meds to get through the 2 days I had booked. I wouldn't stay here again if it were free. I have plenty of pics available if the hotel mgmt would like to see.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Meredith36
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I apologize that you were not pleased with the cleanliness of our hotel. I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to review our cleaning standards and procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Salem hotels

Britton, South Dakota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

The price was right. Took me a few attempts to get to the hotel since there is no nearby interstate exit. The room smelled a little funky. The bedside light did not work. The TV was small. The carpet was fraying quite a bit. The bed was hard (and I'm a big guy). The bathroom was nice. The thing that really ticked me off though is the thin walls. I was just falling asleep when the guy next door started to verbally abuse someone in his room. The language was foul and it disturbed me how mean he was to the person. The room worked as a quick stay-over night, but I won't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank BrentB24
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Brent - I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I apologize that you had difficulties getting to our location. As well, I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced with the smell and condition of your room. I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to review our cleaning standards and procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. I would also like to apologize for the noise disturbance you encountered from neighboring guests. Your comments will be useful as we continue to improve our guest experience.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Union, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

This motel was way more than I expected. The rooms were actually more like a studio apartment. I was completely impressed with the room and the price was excellent. The only downfall was the freeway noise.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front to avoid freeway noise
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Connie N
Manager_11525, Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Connie – Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens at a great value. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Salem, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

Let me start by saying that I'm not an overly picky guest, and a Motel 6-esque motel is usually enough for me. But I finally found something that grossed me out 100%, and Crossland is it. First, the room smells so strongly of cigarette smoke and mold, it is nauseating the moment you walk in. I put out two huge boxes of baking soda and some air fresheners during our stay, and could barely mask the smell.

The window will only open a couple of inches, and it's on the side where the curtains are hung - therefore, unless you can find a way to keep the curtains pushed to the side (there's no tie or anything) you will be unable to get any fresh air.

I am by no means a germophobe, but the sanitation raised a big question mark for me. There was still murky brown liquid in the bottom of the coffee pot, the filter was crusted with old coffee that looked like it hadn't been rinsed in years, and the curtains in the room have strange, unidentifiable black stains.

I felt the need to go out and buy my own pillowcases, and take sanitizing wipes to every handle/light switch in the room before I could relax.

If you absolutely cannot afford anything else, this is a good value for the Priceline price. But I wouldn't pay a dollar more, and I'd pay an extra $20 a night to stay somewhere else in the future. No way would I touch this place with a ten foot pole again.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank KMKR
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that the smell and cleanliness of your room did not meet your expectations. I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to ensure a deep clean is performed on the room so that your experience is not repeated. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly at SLM@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you’re in town.
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

An excellent hotel with fantastic and courteous staff willing to cater to every request. I was required to stay for one month for business and I was extremely satisfied with every aspect of my stay. Having a kitchen included in the room was a fantastic luxury. I would strongly recommend this location to anyone visiting the Salem area, albeit for a brief or extended period.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jlmiller326
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
I am so thankful to you for your review of our hotel. It is nice to hear that we were an excellent choice and that you would recommend our services moving forward. We truly enjoyed having you stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Sumas, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is a very good budget motel just off Interstate 5 in a decent part of Salem close to shopping. One can save a little money by utilizing the nicely equipped kitchen instead of eating out. My room was clean and included a full size (but stiff) bed, bathroom with stand-up shower, kitchen with stove top, microwave, refrigerator, sink, coffee maker with coffee included and a 19" TV with limited cable. The free Wi-Fi works very well. Staff was friendly & efficient. In all, a good choice for a budget motel close to I-5.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TravlinNole
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am thrilled that we provided you with a clean, comfortable stay at a great value. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, free Wi-Fi, your fully equipped kitchen and our friendly, efficient staff. Still, I apologize that you found your bed to be stiff. Your feedback will be useful as we continue to improve our guest experience. We look forward to hosting you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.