“More than expected”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Salem
WA
“More than expected”
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Traveled to Salem recently during a national softball tournament. I was amazed at how well the hotel contained the chaos and when expressing this to the staff was given a card directing me to your site so I could leave a review.

I was concerned about the noise level in the lobby but was assured the business section would be nice and quiet and they did not lie. My room was everything they assured me it would be...comfortable, quiet and roomy. I was even able to hold a brief meeting in the sitting area of my room.

The breakfast area was a bit congested in the morning but the short wait was well worth the hot waffles and biscuits and gravy.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean spacious room at an affordable cost. Their motto is "affordable excellence" and in my opionion they achieved that.

Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
browneyes61, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Salem, responded to this review, 24 August 2009
From everyone here at the Shilo Inn Suites - Salem we thank you for your great review and positive comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to provide comfortable accommodations and outstanding service to every Shilo guest. We hope to see you again in the future when your travels bring you back to the Salem area.

Pam – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
California
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Our softball team came up to Salem for a game. I was concerned that my kids wouldn't like the area only because they are hard to please, but they absolutely loved everything. It's spacious and accommodating. The Desk clerks were super nice and we're very patient with the team. The kids can get a little over excited and loud when they are all together, I applaud their understanding.
I definitely would recommend this Hotel to others - looks fabulous and the price was a steal.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
We thank you for choosing the Shilo Inn, Salem for your stay during the softball tournament. It is always wonderful to hear that we have succeeded in providing a memorable experience for our guests. The softball teams were so fun to have stay at our hotel, there was never a dull moment! We hope to see you again in the future, and wish your team the best of luck in upcoming seasons!

Pam Urben - General Manager
Oregon
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I chose the Shilo Inn by accident! I have never stayed at one before, and we had a problem with another chain regards our two Chijuajua's. We were so pleased with our stay that I have decided to use the Shilo exclusively whenever I can! The entire staff continually went above the call of duty to make our time in Salem more enjoyable! The front desk clerks were always helpful, Joey, Kristin Steph ( Stephanie) and Erik impressed me with their professionalism and attentiveness. The housekeeping staff was always up beat and helpful with our rooms, ( we stayed over three weeks) so we sometimes didn't want to be disturbed or our rooms cleaned every day, Darcey and Mel ( Melody) kept track of all of us and our needs perfectly! The breakfast bar was a very pleasant morning ritual, we were sometime almost late, however, Debbie was a pleasure when I would ask for something at closing time. I watched Orin for the weeks we were there and he seemed to do things seamlessly! I know I have left someone out, but I don't remember everyone's name. I would like to thank Pam and her entire staff for making an unusual situation much easier for us to deal with! They were the "BEST"! Thank you!

Daniel and Jaqueline Lambert
[--]
skillymunga@gmail.com

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
We would like to extend a very special thank you to the Lamberts! All of the staff here at the Shilo Inn, Salem are very touched by the outstanding review. We are happy to have been your place to call home and enjoyed having your family as our guests. Thank you again for choosing the Shilo Inns, especially to Mr. Lambert who provided us with weeks of comedy and laughter. We hope that you come visit us again soon!

Pam – General Manager
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 21 June 2009

We stayed for 2 nights at this Shiloh Inn location, and I was surpised to see how tired it was.

Upon check in, there was no one at the front desk. We waited for a couple of minutes, then the employee arrived. During that time I walked around the lobby to check it out (I am a travel agent). The lobby was dreary and dark, and there were even huge cobwebs hanging from the chandlier. The front desk agent checked us in and we loaded our luggage onto the cart. Then began the wait for the slowest elevator I have met.

We opened the door to our room, and you can imagine our surprise when the first thing we saw were two people in bed.

Back to the slow elevator we go. The front desk girl apologised, then blamed the guest for not calling down to tell her she had given them the wrong room?!?

We finally got into our room, and it was very, very tired. Patched walls in the bathroom, grimy tile and an AC unit that barely worked.

I suppose it would depend on how cheaply you got this room for, how you would feel about it. Looking at someone paying the rack rate for this one...I myself would much rather stay at the Phoenix Inn down the street.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Aubree M
browneyes61, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Salem, responded to this review, 28 July 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel and for bringing these issues to our attention. From everyone here at the Shilo Inn in Salem, OR we would like to extend our apologies for the issues that you had during your recent stay with us. While it is always great to recieve good feedback it is also helpful to know when we have fallen short of our goal. I assure you that we have addressed the issues that you mentioned in your review and we would like a second chance to prove to you that this is far from what you can expect from your stay from your stay at the Shilo Inn Suites - Salem.

Travellers are raving about these Salem hotels

Anchorage
Reviewed 21 June 2009

This hotel and chain has been great over the years. I usually stay here when I am visiting friends in or around Salem. The only knock on the place is that it's getting near time to put in new rugs, and get that elevator to work a bit more quickly.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Boise
Reviewed 4 June 2009

We stayed here in May for one night for business and some family fun. Hotel is easy to find, we pulled right up to it. The inside and out was very clean and had a nice feel to it.
The room was awesome-roomy, the kids loved the sofa sleeper and we loved the king size bed! The half wall between the two beds was pretty and perfect! Nice touch to the look of the room! All the sheets were clean and white. The bathroom was crazy clean, it felt new it was so clean! The shower worked well. I was impressed! We used the pool area twice and loved it both times. Everything was in great working condition and the depth of the pool wasn't too deep, which for us was nice for our kids to play as they wished without getting in too deep of water. (still learning to swim). By the way, they also loved the shower in the pool area too....we had some fun with that one! Our family had a great stay and would definately stay again and recommend to friends too!
While there we rented a kids movie while Dad was away for the morning doing his job interview. Half way through the movie our son sat on the remote by mistake and it shut off the whole tv and of course, the movie. Well, before getting to upset, we called down to the front desk and explained that we turned off the move by accident. They were kind to offer to take off the first charge from our bill and let us know we could sign on again to rewatch the movie. How wonderful that they understood our situation and were kind enough to simly offer that choice without a big situation. Nice job Shilo! Breakfast was great too that morning. My husband really appreciated the biscutts and gravy and we all had some toast and yogurt and an apple for a later snack too! The staff was friendly and knowledgable. If I was to suggest anything about our stay to the company I would ask two things....one, both the hot tub and the pool water levels were clearly low.....please fill them. Also, I've stayed at other Shilo Inns over the years traveling to see family and it jumped out at me that this Shilo, the front desk employees were obviously not in any dress code standard. Both days all front desk employees wore their own stretchy, unprofessional clothing with only name tags on. It was a distraction while checking in and out. Let's just say...Lycra should not be part of the company's professional attire. EEEEKS!!!
Other than that, it was a wonderful stay! :O) oh ps- the seafood restaurant immediately accross the roadway from the hotel was nasty and way overpriced. We should have just used the hotels on site restaurant instead. we were looking for a fancy dinner out for the family....that place was not it....but Shilo was a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Shilo Inn Salem. I appreciate both your positive comments,and helpful comments about the employee attire. I have reviewed Shilo's dress code and all uniform expectations with my staff. I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed all of the amenities we offer such as our indoor pool area, clean and spacious rooms, and our complimentary extended continental breakfast. Nothing is as satisfying as knowing that we are in fact living up to the standard that the Shilo Inns expects. I hope that your husband had a successful interview. Please come and visit us again in the near future.

Pam Urben,
British Columbia
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We used a roomsaver coupon as a "walk-in" on our way north. The room was actually a suite with comfortable king bed, sofa, desk, micro, fridge, in-room coffee and very nice bathroom/shower. Excellent value. Family restaurant nearby.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple