“Use as a last resort”

Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Adelaide, Australia
“Use as a last resort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We booked last minute and it was a Saturday so couldn't get anything besides this. It is pretty average and not in a great area but you get what you pay for. The bed was actually surprisingly comfortable. The breakfast isn't good so that doesn't add any value. Use as a last resort for a one night stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank njg8373

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
North Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Not sure what hotel the negative reviewers stayed at. I was a little apprehensive based on reviews but needed a place close to BMW Rally. This fit the bill. My room was clean, lots of hot water for the shower, refrigerator kept drinks cold, the AC worked fine, the price was reasonable and the staff was friendly. Good bed too. I would stay there again with no reservations - pun intended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Dave L
Eagle River, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

We had sworn off Rodeway Inns a number of years ago, after our experience with Keith, the manager of the one in Durango, CO (see other review). As this room was free, from my hotel member card, we decided to try it out. We were pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and comfortable. (We weren't expecting that from a Rodeway, honestly.) I marked "Excellent" value as our room was free - I don't know what the normal rate would be. The free breakfast offered only grain options; toast, cereal, danish. Some protein (hard boiled eggs, or yogurt) would have been welcome. Prompt service was provided when our fire alarm started to alert us that it wished to have its battery replaced. It took only a very few minutes from the time of our call to the front desk to the time the fix was completed in a very professional manner.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter - less foot traffic noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AKcabingirlA
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Sorry, this place was revolting. Filthy! Really. The carpet in our room had huge burn holes, The bed was the wrong size for the frame, so I got skewered by the metal frame hanging out (unseen under the bedspread). Sheets had hair on them - not mine. Useless wheeled cart with which to get luggage to your room. Thanks!

Seriously. Clean the blasted place! We stayed here because it was available and we were tired. Next time I'll head to a campground. It'll be much nicer and cleaner.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. It's not worth the imagined savings. Filthy.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mountaindweller

Travellers are raving about these Salem hotels

Portland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

ValuQueen here reporting from the Salem Rodeway Inn once again.

We had another four night stay and this time the room seemed clean and even the carpet felt as if it wasn't so dirty (see previous post). The only thing I saw that was yucky was a large stain on the seat of the arm chair and very slight mold on the ceiling above the shower entry.

I asked for a quiet room and was given the 3rd floor facing south. The room got warm at night so when opening the window didn't cool the place down, I tried the fan and AC only to find it not working. It wasn't a huge big deal so I didn't bother asking them to fix it.

On our 3rd day, I was working at the desk and discovered numerous ants crawling around the desk area and along the fridge underneath. I killed all I could see and from then on I would see a bunch come out now and then and I would kill them. This is the time of year they come out so I wasn't so surprised as that could happen anywhere. In general, I'm happy with the room so I don't complain although I have to wonder if it's normal to find ants 3 stories up.

It's around 8pm on our fourth and final night and I am happy and thinking about leaving a very positive review when I get home. My kids take off to use the pool and I discover what appears to be the toilet not being flushed so I flush it. Turns out, the toilet is actually clogged and not seeing any reason for this to be, I play with it for I while to see if it will clear itself, but even though it empties, the bowl fills up to the rim again when flushed. After going down to the pool to ask my kids if they are aware of anything that fell in the toilet (which they were not) I went to the front desk and was given the option of a plunger or another room.

I found it odd that I was expected to deal with it myself, but I go with it and try to unclog it myself. No luck and the front desk doesn't offer to try either so he says he is going to move me. I mention that we had ants in the room and he tells me that the folks 2 doors down had complained too and that the exterminator would be coming. Good enough, but why move us into the room between the 2 we KNOW have ants? Doesn't make sense to me.....anyway, due to the nature of our stay, we had a lot of stuff. Again, no offer of help to move our stuff, so after I briefly attempted to do it myself, i realized how long it would take and went down to grab the kids and the luggage cart to move the job along. The fridge in the new room was not on and also had no freezer so I asked permission to use the one in the first room which was granted. By now, I am hot, sweaty, and dirty from toilet unclogging and moving so i need to take an unscheduled shower. This basically takes up the whole evening in which I had work to do that didn't get done because of the issues.

The new room, although the same configuration (king) was actually a little wider which was really nice and we wish we had had that larger space to begin with. However, the over the sink lighting put out about as much light as a night light- no exaggeration. It was pretty useless. The chair had the same stain in the seat as the first room. What on earth do people do in those chairs? Nevermind, I don't want to think about it. Needless to say, neither chair in either room was used.

The staff were all the same folks as last year. The housekeepers were really nice and I enjoyed chatting with them. One even remembered us from the year before right down to the room we were in- impressive. The men at the front desk seemed a bit more personable than last year, but I noted one didn't like 3 of us in a king room as another poster said. He didn't say a word, but it showed in his face.

As others have said, forget about the "continental" breakfast. Toast, packaged pastry, cereal, coffee and juice PERIOD. I always grab a cup of coffee, but don't bother with the rest. Ask for a fridge and bring yogurt or something. No in room coffee either. Remember, choose your priority. Is fresh fruit worth or a hard boiled egg worth $20 a night somewhere else?

We remember thinking the hotel was really quiet last year and this year we heard a lot of highway noise. It seems that being located on the north side of the hotel, away from the highway, is the better choice.

Same wimpy mattress pad as last year (in both rooms). I'd really like to see that change. Other than that, however, I still think that for the price, this hotel is a good value. The toilet issue and the ants could happen anywhere. Had they made effort to fix the problem verses making me do all the work, I would have still given them 4 stars as last year. I try to stay only at choice hotels to take advantage of their rewards program and the next option up didn't have much better reviews than this place and would have been $20 a night more. The customer service could definitely improve here, but for the low price, it was still a clean and comfortable stay. Cleanliness and comfort are my top priorities. It wouldn't have been worth another $80 for someone to come plunge the toilet for me and there are no guarantees the higher priced hotel would have either.

Room Tip: Ask for room on north side and request that the room be extra clean due to some poor reviews on clea...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Aztec,NM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stayed here three days. We asked for a room on the 2nd (top) floor. We kept the curtains open at night and it was quiet. The room was clean and the bed was comfy. The pool was in working order and the pool area was dry. Every one at the front desk was nice and wanted to make sure that everything was okay. The ice machine was broke, but the front desk didn't hesitate to give us a bag of ice from the freezer.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Roseburg, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

Next time we will pay a few dollars more for a better experience!! My husband & I booked a bedroom with a King bed because we have a 3 yr old (who can sleep with us one night) & a infant who slept in his pack-n-play the man at the desk when we checked in was VERY RUDE and said "How are you going to fit $ people in one bed" like its ANY of his business & we should have to explain our sleeping arrangements to HIM!!! The whole place has a old musky smell and stains all over the floors I was sooooo grossed out we wore our shoes the whole time & their "continental breakfast" was cereal w/ warm milk or a plain bagel. I wish I had read the reviews about this hotel before staying here or we would have not tried it!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT chose any room!!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family