“Great food, nice atmosphere, accommodating!”

Willamette Valley Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 32nd Pine NE
Transit: #17 Salem-Keizer Transit
Description: We commit ourselves to creating the best experience for our guest as we put our heart and soul in our food,using the freshest ingredients. Our Restaurant & Bar elevates dining for locals and wine tourists alike. Situated in Northeast Salem, just 2.3 Miles from the Capitol.Our Northwest Inspired Cuisine is a great addition to the local Oregon culinary scene.
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We rolled in with a group of 12 - all professionals in the craft beer industry & an eclectic group. The beer on tap was a nice selection of state craft brews - the wine list also local - the food was also really good. More like an upscale restaurant than one would guess from the outside of the Red Lion. Very nice.

RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Willamette Valley Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you for spending a lovely evening with us here at the Willamette Valley Grill. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful dining experience. It is our mission to create truly unique and amazing cuisine and provide an elegant atmosphere. Whether on a date, a business meeting, or just a casual get-together of friends, we aim to dazzle you with one of a kind service and quality. I am glad to see that we were able to do so during your visit. Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We tried this place because of the Tripadvisor rcommendations, and also because it was close to our hotel. We started in the lounge and never left. Thats the place to eat. James, the bartender is the BEST and makes everyone feel right at home. The Happy Hour prices are excellent and you can also order from the regular dinner menu. We started with the crab cakes - some of the best I've ever had. Then my husband got the burger (he loved it - and the fries were excellent) and I ordered the chopped chicken salad from the main menu. It was also excellent. If we lived in the area, this would be a place I would go to again and again.

2  Thank ytc50
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Willamette Valley Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Thank you for your kind words and such high praise. I am delighted that your dining experience was a memorable one. There are many new choices on the menu with locally inspired and seasonly fresh cuisine. I would like to invite you to return and sample more of our chef's delicious creations.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We came in expecting the normal delicious steak house menu, and were surprised to see the new menu. As we perused it, we were intrigued. There were still a couple of steak selections, but now there are many more seafood options, pasta and much more. The special the night we were there was wild salmon served on crab cakes, with asparagus. It sounded great, so we both had it. The server brought out warm bread. Expecting the usual Rosemary bread, we were pleasantly treated to potato bread instead. It was a more subtle flavor and we enjoyed it very much.

The wild salmon entree was perfect! It was moist and flaky, not overdone as salmon so often is. Salmon should be served just past the sashimi point, in my opinion, and this was served at exactly the right point. It was served with a very light citrus cream sauce. I liked the attempt at subtlety, but the sauce was just a little too subtle. I would have liked a tablespoon more sauce, and a little more zest. This is a quibble, though. I was happy the salmon flavor could stand alone, and not be overwhelmed by too zesty a sauce.

The crab cake was a bit of a disappointment. I liked the idea of a bed of crab cake under the salmon, but it seemed to have more filler than it should, and the taste of crab did not come through very well. It was a little dry and took up what little sauce there was, pulling it away from the salmon.

A few asparagus spears rested between the salmon and the crab cake. They were done just right, crispy enough to retain their fresh flavor, and soft enough to eat easily.

The wine list here is good, with enough variety to go with the food. For the first time they have added a house bubbly, white and red, each for $5 a glass. We decided to give the house bubbly a try and were pleased. The soft bubbles and good balance of acidity paired well with the salmon.

The prices of the new menu are a little lower than the old menu, and the portions are just a little smaller, but we felt it was a terrific value and we were very satisfied, even though we forgot to order a salad to split. We had no room for dessert.

We will have to come back to sample the other items on the new menu. Except for the observations I had about the crab and the sauce, I would have rated this excellent. The salmon itself was excellent, as was the asparagus.

Good food, good value.

The atmosphere: The room needs more color. Perhaps some colorful paintings on the wall. The pale yellow and dark purple just seem too institutional and severe.

1  Thank pkrissel
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Willamette Valley Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. I must say, I have never read such a detailed and descriptive review. I am deeply indebted to you for not only telling us about your meal with us, but giving us the play by play picture. The reason these reviews are so important to us is because they help us to continuously shape and reshape our menu. Your words have been shared with the restaurant manager and chef, along with other senior management and staff. I want you to know that we will do everything we can to adhere to your commentary, and do our best to dazzle and amaze you on your next visit. I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We ate here for breakfast during our stay at the Red Lion. The staff was friendly and the food was good. I had been told the food was amazing, and I am not sure it was over the top amazing, but it was like having breakfast at any other decent restaurant with nice atmosphere. We will definitely eat here again with out next stay at the Red Lion.

1  Thank April P

Thank you for taking the time to review your dining experience with us. I am glad you found it to be satisfactory, however I would like to know what we can do to make it even better. Our mission is to excell at exciting your senses and leave you wanting more. For this reason, we take each review very seriously and invite you to return and let us know how we can make it even better. Thank you for your kind words, and come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I take my friends and family to the lounge here regularly. They have a great happy hour and we adore the bartender James. He goes out of his way to provide excellent service (and conversation when time permits). He is amazingly attentive and friendly.
There is a wonderful array of appetizers that are always tasty.
I would highly recommend this spot for after work drinks and snacks!

RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Willamette Valley Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for choosing to spend your evening with us. The 3301 Ultra Lounge is a great place to meet friends for a relaxing drink after the exhausting responsabilities of the day. Whether you're in the mood for good food, amazing drinks, or just some conversations with genuine people, the 3301 Ultra Lounge is the place to be. I have shared your kind words with management and staff. We thank you for your continued support and patronage, and promise to continue to amaze and entertain.

Been to Willamette Valley Grill? Share your experiences!