“Not that great”

Cuisines: Chinese
Junction City, Oregon
“Not that great”
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

I differ from other reviews. Very ordinary! Food was boring. Service .it very unattentive. Won't go again.

Salem, Oregon
“Among the things I like about Hong Kong House..........”
Reviewed 17 November 2012

are these; it's a stone's throw from my house and it's one of only a handful of Chinese places that serve Singapore Pan Fried Noodles.

If you've never tried this wonderful dish, it is usually comprised of; Rice Vermicelli Noodles, Bean Sprouts, Onions, Scallions, Julienned Carrots, Shrimp, Beef, Chicken, Egg and BBQ Pork all tossed in Yellow Curry Sauce and served piping hot. Most places serve a mountain of it, but I always manage to put it away.

The Hong Kong House venue housed the first Chinese restaurant in Salem back in the late '50's or early '60's and has a soft spot in the hearts of many other old timers.

My server, Jack, seemed to be working the front of the house solo tonight but did a top notch job all the same.

I've adopted the monotonous habit of always ordering Singapore Noodles in places that offer it, but many of their other dishes are good too. House Special Fried Rice holds some pleasant recollections. It's also worthy of mention that this place has the only Dim Sum menu in town.

• Visited November 2012
Salem, Oregon
“Best chinese delivery”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

HKH delivery is one of our go to meals when we're too tired to cook or eat out. My favorites are General Tso's Chicken, Sesame Chicken, and Crab Puffs. Like all delivery places, they sometimes overcook the chicken in the attempt to keep it hot on arrival. But the flavor makes up for it.

• Visited December 2011
Salem, OR
“Great Food and They Deliver Too!”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

First I would like to say that I have not ate there in years, but I do get there food delivered to me a lot.

Overall they have great food with decent portions and prices. I usually get their combos and everything has always tasted great.

They offer delivery from 4:30pm to 10pm with a $20 minimum.

• Visited November 2011
Edmonton, Canada
“Superb Singapore Fried Rice Noodles”
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Don't let the rough and slightly tacky outside appearance of the Hong Kong House Restaurant on Commercial Street deter you from stepping inside. This place has a sumptuous, spacious interior laid out in a classic 1970's style Chinese restaurant - but it has been finely kept up with lots of woodwork. Comfortable seating.
The service was prompt, from a slightly cheeky young oriental lady who asked to see my id when I asked for a beer although I am clearly a few decades beyond the need for that.
I ordered the Singapore Fried Rice Noodle and was rewarded with a huge plate of freshly fried noodles, loaded with shrimp, pork, mushrooms, hot peppers and crisp bean sprouts. The spicing was of the Masala curry style and it was nice and hot but not overly so. I have always ordered this dish when exploring a new North Chinese eatery, ever since I was introduced to it by a friend from Hong Kong a few decades ago. This interpretation was one of the best I have ever had. Lots of little delicacies, finely spiced and served on the slightly dryish side.
My only complaint was the beers. They had 8 microtaps listed but only 4 were available. Should not happen in Pacific Northwest eatery but the beer that was poured was fine.

• Visited May 2011