“A must-stay when in Salem!”

Betty's Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Betty's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 6 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed one night while traveling between California and Washington. Betty was warm and welcoming. The house is a lovely craftsman-style home in a central residential neighborhood. We were able to walk to the historic downtown which was filled with shops, restaurants and government buildings.

There is a beautiful garden which provided fresh flowers in every room and the breakfast table.

Betty was making fruit preserves which we sampled at breakfast.

The bedroom was inviting and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank 1rabbig1

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Step back in time for a fabulous experience. Betty's exquisitely restored Craftsman bungalow demonstrates her appreciation of the old with a flair for the finest in furnishings, food, and friendliness. Our room on the first floor offered great comfort. Breakfast was simply tops with terrific homemade biscuits and jam, plus scrambled eggs, bacon and fresh berries with greek yogurt and honey. What a treat in every respect. This place is not to be missed but be prepared to be carried back in time in the best possible way.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank oyezman
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Betty’s Bed is a joy. Her 1920’s Craftsman home exudes warmth and comfort with lovely Stickley furniture and beautiful quilts. I came back after a long day visiting Willammette University with my daughter to a warm fire and a cup of chamomile tea. I had to be back at the school early the next morning and she prepared the most incredible breakfast: homemade broccoli quiche, potatoes, ham, fresh apples and a cinnamon apple muffin. It was a nice, easy walk from her place past the Capitol Building to campus. I will definitely return next time I’m in Salem.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank AJM5
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I was in Salem on business and wanted to stay at a B&B downtown. Found Betty's B&B after a short Google search. I stayed in the bedroom on the ground floor and had full access to the cozy living room with gas fireplace. Betty treated me like a member of her family. She is a superb cook/baker and the breakfasts she prepared were among the best I have had while traveling anywhere. She helped me find my way around Salem and even drove me to an appointment I had in town. I have stayed at B&Bs in Britain, Canada and the US and Betty's is among the best. She could not have been more helpful, gracious and accommodating.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank RogueRiverRider
Reviewed 2 November 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a lovely weekend stay at Betty's. Her daughter was a perfect hostess and prepared gourmet brekfasts. Very comfortable facilities. Beautifully restored Craftman house with woodwork to die for. Well located close to the Capital and downtown.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew N
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We planned a short stay in Salem on a trip to the Redwoods National Park and spent one night at Betty's. The B&B was easy to find and Betty and her daughter, Julia, were fantastic hosts. Betty's dinner recommendation proved to be very good. The house itself is a restored and updated older home, as are many B&Bs. It was quite comfortable, although our bathroom did not have a shower which we both missed. The breakfast was one of the best we have had at a B&B. Betty makes her own bread and served it with homemade raspberry preserves. There were also slices of pears from her own tree and an "impossible pie" full of vegetables from her garden. All in all, it was a most satisfying stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GabrielsGrandpa
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Let me begin by saying that I don't normally write reviews, because I don't normally like reading them. I'll rate something with a few stars and move on, but I felt strongly enough about my stay this weekend to type this out...

I had never been to a bed and breakfast prior to staying at Betty's, but I have stayed in some of the nicer suites available in the U.S. and Europe. Unless I'm on a corporate trip and my company is picking up the tab, I might never stay in a hotel again.

I joined some friends in Salem for our 20th high school reunion and we opted to take up both of the rooms among the three of us. I have to say that both of the rooms were gorgeous. The downstairs room had an attached bath with a shower that never seemed to run out of hot water as I just soaked myself. Upstairs the bath had the most amazing claw-foot tub that I have seen (I somewhat regret accepting the room because I wanted to take a nap in that tub). I forgot to check the manufacturer of my mattress, but now that I'm home again I'll have to go do some shopping. It was the most comfortable thing I've slept on in recent memory.

The food? Amazing! After asking about any dietary restrictions the night of the reunion, we woke to a gorgeous plate of scrambled eggs seasoned with fresh herbs from the garden, sliced peaches, a giant sausage, and a strawberry lemonade muffin that may as well have been a light meal on it's own. I think I have paid close to the price of the room for a breakfast that wasn't nearly as nice as what I woke up to (okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not as much as one might think).

And then there was Betty. She was so sweet, and welcoming in to her home. She went about her gardening and did some work on the computer and tidied up around the house, all while keeping me company as the girls got ready for the reunion. I have to imagine that it would be odd to have new people in your home semi-regularly, having the same conversations repeatedly, but Betty seemed to truly relish getting to know each of us as time permitted.

I will whole-heartedly recommend choosing a bed and breakfast for any overnight trips in the future. For anyone going to the Salem-area I would say that staying here is a must, and I would also ask that they tell Betty that Frederick says hello.

• Stayed: August 2012