“This place is falling apart”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Salem
“This place is falling apart”
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

The manager is oh so rude to you if she thinks you aren't rich, lol, she's a manager and working the front desk of one of Salems crustiest motels. The wifi only works near the stair wells or lobby. The toilet plungers are hard to come by because of so many toilet problems. We had two room changes because of this. No breakfast, no ice, no vending machines, no screens on the windows, no working air conditioner, no blow driers, no ironing board or iron, no coffee maker in the room, but they do have cockroaches. It seems as if the owner wants to make money by selling rooms and doesn't want to put any money back into the hotel. All night long you could hear people coming and going. The police showed up on one night. We just wanted to go to the fair the last week of it and hotel rooms were scarce. I would not stay here again when visiting Salem and do visit often because of family in the area. This actually was a decent place about 15 years ago.

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Rob L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Longview, Washington
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My experience at this motel June 14, 2013 was horrible.

From the moment we arrived, we knew we had made a mistake. At 9:30pm the door was locked and no manager was available. She finally came out and let us, and the other two couples, in.

Our "nonsmoking" room was, in fact, a smoking room that reeked terribly. Our clothing and luggage stank for three days afterwards. We couldn't sleep until we opened the door and window for fifteen minutes to air it out. With the freeway 50 feet from our window, you can imagine how pleasant it was to have the window open.

The room (and the whole hotel) was filthy. There was a big stain on the bedcover, debris on the floor that had been vacuumed, and even spots on the wall that looked like food had been thrown around the room. There was white gritty stuff on the sink. The hallway looked beat up, and the carpet was soiled.

The room was in disrepair. There was a broken receptacle cover, stains on the door, and the smoke detector appeared damaged and looked like someone had taped it back together. I think perhaps I should report that to the Marion County Fire Marshall.

The room lacked basic amenities. No garbage can in the bathroom.... Are you nuts???? There was only one towel for the two of us. The pillows on the bed were the worst I have EVER encountered in my fairly long life. Yes, THAT bad!

At checkout the clerk was again missing with the door locked. I just left the key there. The clerk was missing a total of three times. What would have happened if an emergency arose?

In short this was a "hotel from hell." My emails raising these issues were never even answered by the motel, probably because there is NO ONE THERE, just like the night I arrived.

I did not get the value I paid for and, in fact would have been better off sleeping in my car. At least then I would not have stunk like smoke afterwards

If there is ANY other option, don't stay here. Sleep on a park bench if you must, or in the train station, but NOT HERE.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Skier1969

Travellers are raving about these Salem hotels

Pahrump, Nevada
Reviewed 6 June 2013

no Kleenex, no breakfast, no coffee in lobby. nice desk clerks. desk in room ,but no chair. not enough towels for 2 people. $50 bucks including tax though. room did not have a tv remote. had to get one from the clerk. lousy channel selection

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ken y
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I did not like the place at all. The room didn't seem cozy, everything was kind of old and the furniture was worn down. There was a metal piece sticking out of a bed on one side covered by blanket and so it caused a little injury. The bathroom looked old and bad. And there was a stain on the blanket. The room or probably whole hotel just totally needs a reconstruction! Also there was a view on a highway from the window and it was very close! The price was about $50 and they did NOT even serve breakfast. I don't recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Michaela D
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I stayed in this hotel this past weekend for three nights. It was not a great experience.

It should have been a red flag when I spent a half hour searching for this place because it is not on the main road where the other hotels in that area are located. It sits on a frontage road and you must go through a residential area to get to it. There is only one way in and out of this location and be sure to get very good directions if you are brave enough to stay here.
When I arrive, the second red flag should have been that there were only two other cars in the parking lot. I assume one belong to the front desk clerk, so I was a little surprised about this, considering that it was 9 PM on a Friday night.
Upon pulling into the parking lot, I saw the front desk clerk out front smoking a cigarette. She asked me if I had a reservation, when she saw me pull in. I thought that was funny, since there were only a couple cars in the whole parking lot. I responded, "Do I NEED a reservation?" and she said, "No".
When I told her my name, she said that she could not find my reservation. She asked what website I booked the room on, and I told her it was the Americas Best Value Inn site (their own company website). Her comment was, "We have been having trouble getting those reservations in". This should have been another red flag. Since when does your own company website fail to deliver their online reservations. They could not even run my credit card and had to charge it over the phone because their computer system could not do it.
I asked for a specific type of room and she acted like it would not be available. She said, that it is a very popular type room. This hotel had 75-100 rooms, so I am taken aback, because I know that there cannot be more than a couple rooms rented for the night from the number of cars there.
When I got into my room, it was very worn and not very clean. Dirt and grime was present on the window sill and above the shower. The furniture was missing parts and there were huge holes in the bedspread from cigarette burns. The blanket on the bed was literally see-through, it was so worn and thin. After one night on that old tired mattress, I was hoping that my bad back was going to withstand another two nights there.
After I returned from a family gathering late the next evening, I found that no one had cleaned my room or made the bed. I just groaned and fell into bed. I could not easily leave and go elsewhere because they charged me in full, when I arrived the first night. I just overlooked the inconvenience, but it was annoying.
There was a big hole that someone had punched into the bathroom door and when I went to set the alarm, I found that there is not even a clock in the room. I looked on the phone, since often alarm systems are built in and saw that my phone had "Westin Seattle" on it. That explained everything.
All the furniture in the room, including the mattress must have been second hand and purchased from another hotel very well used. No wonder that room was so shabby and run down looking.
There was no coffee maker in the room and no place in the hotel to get it. The nearest place to walk to get a cup was five or six blocks away and very inconvenient.
The TV was a very old tube style model and a large portion of the screen was burnt out and so watching it was also annoying. I was thinking, with so many rooms, was this the best that they could offer me.
On Sunday morning at 6am there were only two cars in the parking lot and the same on Monday morning. I am pretty sure that there were only one or two other people staying there, besides me. Now I understand why.
There are a lot of other chain hotels closer to the freeway exit and I am sure most of them have to be better than this place. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo