“Not worth the price.”

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Coralville, IA
“Not worth the price.”
Reviewed 18 July 2007

The rooms were clean and the pool was ok. The front desk staff were grouchy and rude and the breakfasts were terrible. We stayed for 4 nights and before 9 they were out of food and juice. Since all that was available was pre-packaged muffins and pastries, I'm not quite sure how you could run out every morning. The breakfast time was to be until 930. We booked online and were charged about $98 per night. I don't feel this was worth the money.

• Liked — wifi
  • Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
washington
Reviewed 12 July 2007

We just pulled into the lot and were excepted without any nonsence. My husband, 16 and 9 year old sons and 5 year old daughter myself and a 2 pound housebroke chihuahua. Other places wanted to split us up and charge us double or no pets or huge deposits for the pet. The hotel was clean with a pool and hot tub. Coffee was in the lobby and breakfast in the morning. The also didnt kick us out as soon as we woke up. You can check in at 2PM and check out at 12PM so you get your monies worth and that was only $80.00 with tax. And shopping as far as the eye can see. I also forgot my swimsuit and my daughters and they shipped it back to me. I am so grateful. I had A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE! THANK U SUPER 8 !!! I came tiered and left relaxed.

• Liked — family friendly
  • Disliked — no ellevator
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank WapatoWa
Bellevue, WA
Reviewed 16 May 2007

Was travelling with a dog..very few choices...but this hotel just smelled awful! Front desk staff was helpful, location was fabulous (right on the river)..but the rooms are very small, not very clean, noisy and the hallways smelled like urine. Looked at the pool but would NOT allow my family near it. Was filthy. For the money ($60) I don't know if you can get a cleaner hotel. My daughter (we were there for a volleyball tournament) stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn...BEAUTIFUL! Unless you have to stay here (i.e. nothing else available or travelling with pets)..I would advise to go elsewhere!

Stayed May 2007

Travellers are raving about these Salem hotels

Florence, Oregon
Reviewed 20 February 2007

I chose this motel because it allows pets. I normally stay at the Mill Creek Inn or Shilo, but this time I decided to take the pooch. When I checked in, I was informed they had no pet rooms available (I had a reservation and told the clerk I needed a pet room). I looked at the desk clerk and said "I have a pet". She looked at me and started typing. Lo and behold, she had a room for us. I diidn't find out unitil checkout that she put us in a non-pet room and did not charge us the $10 pet fee. That was good.

The motel was pretty noisy. It didn't help that the state high school wrestling championships were being held that weekend and several wrestling teams were staying at this motel. The other things I did not like were the smell of stale cigarette smoke throughout the building (not in our room) or the fact that their "breakfast" consisted of pre-packaged muffins and bagels with coffee and juce. There is a Subway and McDonalds one block way thankfully.

The room was clean and good sized and the bathroom was fine. Over all, I'd rate our stay as average or a little below.

2 Thank dengay
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 11 July 2006

At first, it seemed fine. I had called before coming and my reservation was there and it would be held 'til 1 am. When we (husband, wife, and teenaged son) got there at 9, we waited patiently as there was a line of people and only one person checking folks in. Still fine. Our reservation was located and our rate had actually been reduced $10 a night, adjusted for the "sports special" (for which I had originally called and been told that that particular rate was only for rooms with one bed). We got our key and were told to park in back; no elevator. When we got to our room, it had obviously not been cleaned as the beds had covers strewn everywhere and the towels were all piled on the toilet. Unsettled, we went back downstairs and decided we would just bite the bullet and get two rooms, one bed each. No adjustment to the bill, but no problem, either: the rooms were cleaned.

Okay, so you're waiting for the punchline: why wasn't everything okay. Here are the reasons:

* No microwave or fridge
* Pets really ARE allowed ($25 deposit), so if you have allergies (like I do), go somewhere else
* I also have a very sensitive nose; since smoking is allowed in other rooms on the floors, there is somewhat of a stale smoke odeur the subtly permeates the atmosphere. And although the cleaning staff is diligent, spilled rotgut wine scents may assail you when you enter your room.
* The fan in the bathroom is not separate from the light and is not efficient. In order to lessen natural function stench, one has to keep the bathroom light on constantly. While the air conditioner does seem to help (and works very well), it does not completely eliminate the odor.

If the above issues do not bother you, it is an inexpensive place to stay and close to a mall area where you can find all sorts of restaurants (and, of course, shopping). It is also close to Willamette University, being only ~3.5 miles away.

Also, the staff are extremely pleasant (Lori's won many awards) and do try to accommodate you - if there isn't a long line of folks. (As there never seemed to be more than one person at the front desk at a time).

Stayed July 2006