“A Gem in Salem, OR”

Dining options: Reservations
Western Canada
“A Gem in Salem, OR”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

VERY knowledgeable and skilled server; food and wine pairings were unique; it was a pleasure to pause and really taste the various combination of fresh ingredients, flavours and textures. Everyone in the restaurant seemed thrilled with their meals; you could hear them quietly "oohing and awing" about what they were eating, us included. Large portions - luckily we had a fridge in our hotel room and enjoyed our left overs (mushroom risotto, broken lasagna) for lunch the next day. A funky antique style decor and wonderful classic 60's jazz music playing at just the right volume in the background. The chef and staff show real pride in their product and service; we really felt that they cared that we enjoyed a memorable dining experience. We wish we had this caliber of restaurant in our home City.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank podseat

“A great find!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

A pleasant surprise to find such a wonderful restaurant in downtown Salem! We had a delightful meal with great service. We will definitely go back.

• Visited August 2013
Gilbert
“Great little restaurant with a big city vibe”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I stopped here on our way to Seattle from Phoenix. The food was the equal or better than fine restaurants we have eaten at in these big cities at a fraction of the price. The appetizer of Olives and Almonds was unique and delicious. Our main courses were equally great. My husband had the broken lasagna and I had the chicken milanese. When we complimented the food to the waitress, the owner came over and gave us a big hug and talked about her restaurant. It was clear that she cared very much about it and her customers. This restaurant deserves to make it and we hope both residents and visitors give it a try.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Ronald S
Salem, Oregon
“A little cosmopolitan touch in Salem.”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Maven's menu is limited but excellent. From “Tasty bites” I had Cascade Baguette with homemade butter ($4), which Jen, my server, kept replenished throughout my meal, and from “A little more” I chose Grilled Wild Salmon over Beet Risotto with Shaved Parmesan. ($15) It was very rich and very, very good.

Maven is snuggled comfortably in the elegant old Pomeroy & Keene Jewelry location. Intimate tables with back-to-the-wall bench seats run along the west side of the deep dining room. A long stand-up bar hugs the turn of the twentieth century brick wall to the east. The lighting is soft and each table offers muted votive candlelight. Unobtrusive chamber music sets the mood. It's a perfect setting for a romantic dinner and cocktails.

Service was crisp but cordial.

It's a step up in casual elegance for Salem Oregon. A perfect place for a quiet interlude with that special someone.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank ChuckBradley
Salem, Oregon
“What Salem WAS Missing”
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Great aosphere, friendly, attentive staff and let's not forget the excellent and unique cocktail selections. I have been there several times and all this is consistently wonderful. Kudos to Maven and its proprietress for her vision and ability to execute it. I will be back often, I recommend you do the same.

• Visited June 2013

Been to Maven? Share your experiences!