“Average food ”

Ranked #148 of 543 Restaurants in Salem
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch with friends ! Average food ! Friendly enough service ! Had lunch special for $6.99 ! Was ok for chain restaurant ! So many other good restaurants prob not return ! X

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stopped by this Applebee's on our way home from CA to WA, The host that seated us was friendly. Our server Candis M was excellent. Probably the best service we have had at any of the dozens of Applebee's that we have visited. She was friendly, accommodating and personable. Would stop by on our way to CA again. She was lovely.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

After enjoying a great play in Portland, we returned to Salem hoping for a pleasant meal. Instead, we encountered overly salty steak and vegetables. The food tasted mediocre even when some of the saltiness was removed. Our server was overly busy and seemed to push us through the ordering and the eating.

Disappointing.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

We won't go there for hamburgers unless they change their policy on how well cooked they are.
I like my hamburgers and steaks rare, or at least medium rare. I realize a lot of resaurants won't do that so I always ask them how they prepare them. The wait staff dodge the issue, saying pink or no-pink, or no less than medium. So I ordered mine medium, as did my wife.

The were well done, all flavor cooked out of them. So I sent mine back. The waiter came out to see me. I showed him that mine was clearly well done. He said company policy system-wide was that they have to cook them medium-well or well. What they call pink or no pink. I showed him that there was no pink about it, that was over-cooked.

They were very nice about it, gave me a medium-rare steak and didn't charge me for it. We still like the place a lot. But they are apparently strapped by company protocals. And we will just not go there for hamburgers. We can do better, but will just have to drive a little further.

Steaks however are good and very reasonable, especially on Mondays.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

We ate an early dinner at the South Salem Applebee's today and the food was good as usual. We got the $20 deal which includes two dinners and an appetizer. Both dinners were good and we had more food than we could eat, so we ended up taking a box home. However this is not about the food. There were only a few customers as it was early for the dinner hour. I noticed an elderly man who came in and sat near our table. The dinner shift crew was comming in one after another and every one of them stopped to talk to the old gentleman. Later, when our waitress brought our bill, I had to ask "who was the old guy and how did he seem to know everyone in the restaurant". She explained that he used to come in every Friday with his wife for date night, but she passed away about a year ago and now he still comes in by himself. I was impressed that every one of the crew stopped to talk warmly and personally with this man who has lost his wife. They may have helped in some way to fill the emptiness for him. Kudos to the South Salem Applebee's crew for having a heart and not being too busy to be human.