The Grand Hotel in Salem
US$120
ComfortSuites
US$209
US$132
Best Western Pacific Highway Inn(Salem)(Great Value!)
US$139
US$101
US$130
US$103
Priceline
All reviewsconvention centerbentley's grillfree underground parkingdowntown locationwillamette universitystreet noiseliberty streetbreakfast buffetrooms are largeplace to stayhotel restaurantattending a conferenceoatmealsitting areaearly checkstate capitolking suite
Reviewed 2 July 2011

First the positive: The lobby and the restaurant are very nice. The people at the desk were polite.
Negatives: First, don’t park in the drop off area thinking you’ll be able get into the parking garage…you can’t unless you go all around the hotel again. I was with my elderly mother and needed to drop her off and register. The hotel should include this in the information selection of their website. The elevators are very slow and we waited several times. The room was fairly clean but with older blankets and bed spreads (really, what nice hotels use bed spreads anymore?) We also found several dark hairs on the bed and in the bathroom (not ours for sure.) The two most distracting things were the traffic noise and the vibrations felt when someone would walk down the hall in front of our room. At first my mother thought we were having an earthquake but then just chuckled whenever we felt it (even in our beds.) The traffic noise was horrible and very distracting. When I told them at the desk when checking out they were kind but said all the queen bed rooms faced the busy street and offered a king bed and a sofa sleeper for our next stay (yeah, like you’d put your 83 year old mother in a sofa sleeper?? And if I’m paying $150+ I’m not sleeping in one!)
Stay here only if a king bed will do or heavy street noise doesn’t bother you. Stay if you want an easy place to eat and drink but you don’t mind waiting for slow elevators. We probably won't be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from traffic noise!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
scottSalemOr, General Manager at The Grand Hotel in Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2011

Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate the opportunity of getting our guest's perspective. I believe the root issue is the noise from the street, I understand and apologize for the proximity to the high traffic. Your interaction with my desk staff was accurate, in that we don't have any double bedded rooms not facing the street. I do wish to share that we are very close to having updated bedding delivered to really brighten the guest rooms. We just celebrated our 6 year anniversary and we've already updated the flat panel televisions, added more variety to the breakfast line and improved the wi-fi bandwidth. I do hope that you'll reconsider and give us another opportunity.

Cordially,

Scott Snyder

Reviewed 29 June 2011

On business with a colleague - and the Grand Hotel provided a great place to relax, eat, walk. The location is in the midst of an interesting downtown; the hotel's restaurant was way above average for food; the rooms are roomy and comfortable. Also the staff is friendly and informative, parking is free, and the free breakfast has lots of variety. I'll be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MarkLB
Reviewed 29 June 2011

After reading all the reviews on hotels in Salem we decided to book two rooms in May via the internet only to discover there were no vacancies. With a call to the hotel, I was able to reserve two rooms. Everything about this place was fantastic. Free underground parking, easy check in, extremly nice rooms and a very friendly and professional staff. Great breakfast in a large eating area allowed you to take your time eating and relaxing without feeling rushed or overcrowded. Room service was great and I highly recommend the bread pudding with coffee ice cream. The downtown location allowed easy walking to the park, Discovery Center, and local shops and resturants. A 10 minute drive puts you at Enchanted Forest, which is highly recommend by this grandpa. We will return to this hotel for more relaxation and fun. I have done numerous hotel reviews and I am a big Marriott fan, this is the best hotel I have stayed at since I have been doing reviews. Sorry Marriott but I call them like I see them.

Room Tip: reserve well in advance and call if you cannot boe
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jkw95
Reviewed 14 June 2011

You cannot ask for a better place to stay. Very friendly & helpful people. Bentleys restaurant is delicious. I recommend this hotel to everyone

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank salem0
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I have been traveling to Salem from Texas several times a month for the past 6 months, and I always stay at the Grand Hotel in Salem. The hotel is clean, the resturant is probably one of the best in Salem, and there is never an issue with my reservations or accommodations. The highlight here is the staff. They are wonderful. Being a on the road almost every week, that is the thing that really makes a great hotel. They remember your name, always are ready to take care of any request, and generally become like a home away from home. That is why I will be staying at this hotel when I travel to Salem and would be very comfortable in recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business