“Great weekend”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Austin. tx
“Great weekend”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed at the Grand Hotel to participate in the Cycle Oregon weekend ride. The hotel was very accomaditing, even storing out bikess. We even were upgraded to a fabulous suite which was as large as a small apartment. Very well located within walking distance of very good restaurants.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
Washington
Reviewed 1 August 2011

On a road trip we found this hotel online while driving down the freeway. After calling several other hotels in the area with rates of $150-$210 for a weeknight I called The Grand Hotel. When the price quoted was $30+ lower than the other hotels we booked it. Upon arrival we were very pleased. The entryway, hallways and rooms were very asthetically pleasing. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant- BEST BURGER EVER! The pool and spa were very large and clean. The fitness room was well equipped and the final topper was that they even have an expresso stand if you prefer specialty coffees. The free breakfast was a great selection of fresh fruits, eggs, and lots of carbs.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My room was clean, comfortable and very nice. The employees were courteous, helpful and very friendly. I had room service one evening which was wonderful! The Breakfast is a full breakfast and far surpasses your expectations. One evening I walked downtown which is handy and close. I also ate at the Bentley's Restaurant in the Hotel a couple times and found the waiters and waitresses went out of their way to be accommodating and the food was Excellent. The whole experience was nothing but the BEST!!

Room Tip: I would feel very confident simply explaining what I would like in a room and relying on the desk em...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Washington
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Honestly, this hotel doesn't have much competition in Salem. That said, I'm pretty sure it blows the others completely out of the water.

I reserved a block of rooms for my wedding in July 2011. The reservations staff were very patient and helpful - they even placed the gift bags I'd made for the guests in their rooms. They also helped my mom get a new room when hers didn't work out, and even though it was more expensive, they still charged her the original rate.

The rooms themselves are really nice - lovely furniture, marble in the bathrooms, etc. The breakfast was pretty good, too (cheesy eggs!), and dinner at the Bentley is tasty but a bit overpriced.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank BookGirl9
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
Reviewed 15 July 2011

A group of 20+ guests stayed at the Grand Hotel Salem having travelled from Australia for my sons wedding to a girl from a Salem family. The co-ordination of the stay for our group was an easy experience considering we were travelling such a long distance. The hotel was exceptional for our needs in every way. The breakfast an added bonus. My son had organised quite a few things to make our travel to the wedding church service and reception at Williamette Vineyard an easy experience and the hotel went along with all of our requirements. A welcome message to the guests of the wedding posted in the lift was a lovely touch. All guests were happy with their rooms and when I return to Salem I will certainly stay here again. Thankyou very much for making such a joyous occassion even more special

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank suziejo
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2011

grand old lady with a great face lift, we stayed one night the bed was comfy ,free breakfast was great

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank den&deb-2004
NY burbs
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This was the 2nd stay at the Grand Hotel for my family (mom dad and kids 5 and 7). The hotel is clean, the staff nice and helpful, our one bedroom suite was reasonable in size. The included breakfast is above average.

The hotel was full with many groups and conferences in town. We traveled in from the East Coast and were jet lagged and looking for an early night. No problem for the kids, the bedroom was quiet and the fan provided the perfect white noise. However, we had a connecting door in the living room and the neighbors were playing an accordian and a recorder. While I am embarrassed to admit it was only around 8PM, the noise was irritating and LOUD. Minor point, but next time we'll try to get the suite without the connecting door.

Parking is also an issue. The lot is full during the day with conferences, so guests have no where to park (except down the street). The 3rd time this happened, I expressed my displeasure to a management type and he let us leave the car in the driveway. Again minor point.

My family will stay here again during our annual visit. It's the best Salem has to offer.

Room Tip: Avoid connecting rooms.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
scottSalemOr, Manager at The Grand Hotel in Salem, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Thank you for the appraisal of our hotel. We would happily note a request to avoid a connecting room for your return visits. I assure you that the parking during your visit was an anomaly, but we are grateful that you took the initiative and let the desk staff know your circumstance. We really enjoy helping people feel comfortable.

We look forward to seeing you again,

Scott Snyder