“Good choice for downtown Salem”

The Grand Hotel in Salem
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Salem
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Irvine, California
“Good choice for downtown Salem”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This is a modern, reasonably upscale centrally located hotel in downtown Salem. Staff was friendly and efficient. Free underground parking. Complimentary downtown area shuttle including Amtrak station. Complimentary breakfast with nice selection of hot/cold items in a room with plenty of table seating. Room was attractively furnished, upscale, but not luxury level. A/C draws air from outside. Very quiet. Windows open for fresh air. Room had sofa, refrigerator, microwave, desk, good lighting and was spotless. There was no traffic noise.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Polish first
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 9 March 2013

The Grand is a nice place to stay, and its location in downtown Salem is really ideal. Bentley's, the restaurant housed at the hotel, is pretty good and all is a very nice atmosphere. The only drawback is the noise from the hallways and neighboring rooms, even with quiet guests, walls are thin.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah B
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 6 March 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the Grand in Salem several times.....this place doesn't miss a beat. Everything from reservations, check in, front desk staff, breakfast staff, maid service, room service attendants are all top-notch. You can tell that the staff takes great pride in their establishment, it shows in their professional but friendly attitudes and their awesome customer service....thats what keeps us coming back again and again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Central Oregon
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Spent two nights at this downtown Salem hotel; got a King Suite. Bed was comfortable, room was nicely furnished, including a leather couch. Staff was friendly and helpful. My employer paid for the room, so I can't say what the price was (I don't get a receipt). Had a very good hot breakfast buffet too - kinda a novelty these days it seems like.

San Jose, California
Reviewed 26 February 2013

First mark against this hotel was the increase in price when I arrived despite my reservation and corporate rate, but @ midnight I was stuck!! I would have loved to enjoy the comfy bed and get some much needed rest. However, the maids decided I needed a wake up call by talking, laughing and yelling at 7am right outside my door. Did I mention, I arrived around midnight and didn't settle in until 2 am ... they proceeded to carry on for hours, which allowed me to hear every flush of the toilet, shower and step in the room above mine. Not to mention all the morning traffic!! When I phoned the front desk and asked if they could ask the maids to refrain from yelling, talking etc outside my door -- I was told they would see what they could do. Which meant nothing!! The next morning was worse!! Thank God I was awake and the worst was a near collision with their cart and vacuum cleaner. You guessed it no excuse me or an I am sorry from the two talkative maids. Needless to say ..... I moved to another hotel.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Francine Y
scottSalemOr, General Manager at The Grand Hotel in Salem, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Francine,

It was a pleasure to speak with you by phone regarding your experience while visiting schools in Salem. While extremely embarrassing that any guest would feel this way in our hotel, your experience has not been wasted as we have had several training opportunities with both the housekeeping and front desk staff. Our guest's comfort and the lasting relationships that are built through great service are paramount to our continued success. As mentioned during our conversation, I do hope that you will give us a second chance should your daughter choose to attend college in Salem.

Scott Snyder
Bartonville, Illinois
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with very helpful and friendly staff. I stayed here while attending a convention and thought it was simply amazing. My room was spacious and clean, the bed was comfy, the bathroom was spotless, and the internet worked well.

Granite Bay, California
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I stayed alone at the hotel due to my son being recruited by the local college football team (he stayed on campus). I felt very safe, the rooms are large, the free breakfast plentiful. The staff was very helpful and the free parking was easy. I was first given a room on the street and it was a bit noisy but the staff quickly switched me to another room on the back-side of the property when I contacted them. The rooms are up-dated and the bathroom looked brand new. Located down-town with lots of shops and restaurants to walk to. Very close to the state capital and hospital.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo