“Not Impressed this time”

The Grand Hotel in Salem
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Salem
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I have stayed at The Grand on many occasions. On my recent visit I was in Room 324 on the street side of the hotel. I assumed the commuter traffic would abate, and I would enjoy a good night's sleep.....well the traffic does NOT abate and I had very little sleep. I expressed my disappointment to the young man at reception, and was offered a late check out (??) I was on a schedule and hanging around a hotel was not my idea of remedying my dissatisfaction. I will look elsewhere next time I am in Salem.
Courtenay who looks after breakfast is under utilized in this hotel. She should be given opportunities in the Hotel Industry !!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
scottSalemOr, General Manager at The Grand Hotel in Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Mary,

Thank you for the comments about the street noise, we hope that the other great experiences you referenced in your review will bring you back to our hotel. My desk staff person did follow up by placing a preference in your profile indicating an interior facing room.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

The Grand Hotel in Salem has a beautiful lobby with comfortable couches and chairs, a beautiful enormous antique desk, and a gleaming chandelier. The area is spacious and inviting. A colorful glass sculpture greets visitors as they come through the entrance. Artwork on the walls and down the hallways is attractive. Service at the desk is polite and professional. The rooms are fresh and clean with comfortable beds. The decor is modern and attractive. Attached to the hotel is a wonderful restaurant with a long, beautiful bar. The food is excellent. A gas fireplace made of stone is at the center of the main dining area. The tall ceilings and ceramic decorations high on the wall are splendid. This restaurant provides the elegance of a comfortable, large lobby, modern rooms with a cheerful mood, and a beautiful restaurant all in the same building. It's located in the downtown area, close to shopping, restaurants, and historical sites. Nearly everything that's important in Salem is within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank rolfmcewen

Dear Rolfmcewen,

Thank you for the great comments, it sounds like you got to enjoy everything that the hotel and restaurant has to offer. We like to share the feedback with our team as great affirmation of the effort that they put forth.

Take care,

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

The Grand Hotel had many excellent qualities and a great location in downtown Salem. Close to the Capitol, Williamette College and eating. Nice spacious lobby, front desk staff was helpful and friendly when trying to find late night dining. Note to non Oregonians: late night dining was difficult as we were traveling with a 19 year old who could not enter may places with alcohol. (Think sports bar etc) Turns out the hotel restaurant was wonderful! Rooms were comfortable but THEN about 2:30 to 3 am, an adjacent room decided to shower etc. I heard the shower run, the toilet flush etc. sounded as if it was in my own room.
Then around 6 am, the regular morning noises with shower, toilet etc. again. No sound proofing at least at our room location. It was a bummer. Would try hotel again, but I'd check room location.

Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for the feedback regarding your visit to our hotel. I can certainly empathize with the noise issues that accompany having lots of neighbors. I think your comment of requesting an upper floor is great, whether the reservation is made directly with us or on-line we do pay attention to guest requests and do our best to make them happen. It is great to see the comments about Bentley's Grill.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I really enjoyed staying in the Grand, they truly mix old fashion style and quality with new amenities. You can't beat the convenience of the location right in the heart of town. The rooms are extremely well kept, clean and roomy.

The staff made everyone feel like they were frequent guests and long time friends.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I had 4 nights here last month during a busy work week in Salem. The front desk went out of their way to assist me in meeting some business deadlines I had. The tech center was modern and well appointed. The hotel lobby is old school, vaulted ceilings, comfortable big chairs, well adorned and great for mini meetings. My room was very conducive to work and relaxing. There were feather pillows stashed in the closet and an excellent full breakfast in the morning (included). The adjacent restaurant was very good, great food, great staff and handled impromptu parties of 8 with aplomb. The Grand Hotel is a grand stay, well situated for business in Salem.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed here with my daughter while we visited my son at Willamette. I especially liked the free parking and ability to go in and out without any problems. The room was very clean and comfortable, we decided to eat in the restaurant downstairs for dinner which was quite good. My son especially enjoyed a good steak.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel! Staff is superb! This is the second time we have stayed here. We are extremely impressed with all the staff. Both visits were for conventions. The facility for the convention is well laid out. Staff in convention center were great and very professional. The way the hotel is situated in downtown Salem, it is conveniently located to the skyway mall system only four blocks away. All the major department stores are located there. Many local restaurants nearby and Bentleys in the hotel is fabulous.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business