“Pleasant Surprise!”

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Yakima, Washington
“Pleasant Surprise!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute and was lured in by the price and proximity to our event... I didn't look very closely at the pictures. When I pulled into the parking lot I was a bit disappoinited to see it had "outside entrances", and I have to admit I was very skeptical as I checked in. However the Lobby was very nicely updated and the clerk was very helpful and knowledgeable. We walked over to our room and I was PLEASANTLY SUPRISED! The rooms had been very nicely remodeled, very clean and not at all what I expected! The beds were comfy and the continental breakfast the next morning was fantastic! It was MORE than worth the price and I am glad we gave this hotel a chance.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Coos Bay, Oregon
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The staff was all very friendly the room was neat and comfortable, beds were great. not a big room but it worked well for 3. Very rest full not a lot of hotel noise so we got a good night Sleep.
I will definitely stay here again when I travel to Salem!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Eastern Washington
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Although this facility is a bit removed from the city center on the old highway, it proved to be clean and very comfortable with direct access both to the interstate and downtown. Our room was well equipped, and it was clear throughout the facility that it had been recently renovated. Additionally, considering that it is located in the state capital, it was a welcome bargain.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
minneapolis
Reviewed 10 October 2013

OK, so I live a secluded life (actually I pretty much live in hotels) but I’ve never seen a machine like this; you push the button, you get a hot fresh pancake and it’s not too bad. Decent hotel, larger than average pool and workout area. Rooms are about what you’d expect, small bathroom but nice size room. Bed not so nice but subject to opinion. Breakfast was as good if maybe not a little better than most but still pretty typical. Convenient location. Get a room as far from the road as possible if you like quiet. Service level was great; helpful smiling faces. Price seems a little high for pretty much standard fare but there really isn’t much bad to say about this place.

Room Tip: Get a room as far as possible from the road if you like it quite
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
seattle, United States
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I did not get any sleep which is the most important part of staying away from home. it could have been that I was not used to the firmness of the bed but both beds in my room were uncomfortable. I own a sterns and foster and am used to a good nights sleep but I didn't get much sleep here. Neither did my wife.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

PacificHighwayInn, Manager at Best Western Pacific Highway Inn, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was surprised to hear that you did not find our beds comfortable as we have recently put all new beds in our rooms. I will be sure to pass this comment along. Our goal is make sure each guest is satisfied when they stay with us. Our staff and management work very hard to make sure each guest has an incredible experience. Thank you again for your comments.
Irving, Texas
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed here for one night near the end of our Oregon vacation on our way back to SeaTac.

They were having some sort of party in the main building that spilled out into the parking lot near our room and we could hear them over the TV at times. No one seemed to try to contain them or keep them down.

We had to try several times to get into our room each time we entered because even though the green light would go on, the door lock seemed to jam. We tried multiple times with 2 cards and after some shaking of the door it would finally open. This happened when we first got there and when we returned from breakfast.

The shower has a nice head but you can't aim it lower than your chest, or in the case of my wife, her neck.

Breakfast was the typical minimal items you expect these days. The coffee was pretty good but the OJ tasted funny. There weren't a lot of options that didn't included sugar. When I asked the desk clerk for the remote, she said we could not change channels and she treated me like a jerk for wanting to change the volume even though my wife and I were the only ones in the breakfast area at that time.

Overall, not worth the price considering the door and shower problems, and the poor service.

Room Tip: Stay some place else.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Jim,
Thank you for your feedback. Letting us know about your experience helps us provide a better service. I hope you will enjoy knowing, we will be adding extra training hours to ensure our staff can properly handle situations such as the one that was happening the night of your stay. I am having our maintenance staff look into the door and shower head from the room you rented so we can remedy the issues for the next guest. Again, I am sorry that you had a negative experience with us, but I appreciate you bringing it to our attention. Your comments help us to focus on what needs to be done to help future guests to enjoy their stay at the Best Western Pacific Highway.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We were very comfortable in our overnight stay. Everything was clean. The room was a little small but fine for an overnight stay. The bed was comfortable. That's important to me. The staff were nice and helpful. Only had fruit and the packaged oatmeal as I don't eat gluten so couldn't eat the rolls, pancakes or biscuits. Overall for most people several things to choose from. I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple