“Never again”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I've NEVER been treated so badly at check in. There is no use for the level of hostility I received. I never yelled or raised my voice I refused to fight with the women ( I Refuse to stoop to her level) all I did was ask when the manager would return ( apparently he doesn't work weekend, at a hotel really ? )

It ended with me calmly repeating " I don't want to argue can I just have my room key ) repeatedly while she continued to argue with me I could not get the women to stop. She actually said to me " if your going to be rude don't bother to check in " .... There are at least 3 other hotels in walking distance if I wasn't there with a large group I would have walked out immediately . I travel often and have never been treated this way.

After talking with other members if my group it's clear that this women is just hostile in general

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mia A
gmor055, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Guest,

We take pride in our staff and hotel. We try very hard to make sure all guests are treated fairly with respect. We are sorry that you feel you were treated unfairly. I understand that the issues that occurred all begin because of a hotel policy. Our hotel does require all guests to have a valid credit card or a cash deposit. And after speaking to your coach yesterday, he was also aware that it was required in the team contract. We do understand that sometimes misunderstanding will occur. But it is never our intent to ever have guests feel disrespected.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Hotel is nice enough- pretty entry and decent room although on the small side, but nothing overly special. The bed looked super plush, but I didn't find it that comfortable and actually a bit hard. The carpets weren't disgusting by any means, but seemed in need of a cleaning as they were a bit dingy looking. Pretty much an average place for a mid-level hotel.

The cash price seems high compared to other hotels within the same brand that I have stayed. To be more specific, the Choice Hotel reward program has an acceptable reward program price per night at this hotel- especially compared to similar hotels in the same brand- (12,000 per night vs up to 20,000). However, I found the travel reward program through my credit card (uses Travelocity) was much better yet at only 10,000. Interestingly, the Travelocity point system charges that same 10,000 points for a Rodeway Inn a short distance up the highway that is half the cash price or better of this hotel. There is no question I would choose this over the Rodeway Inn for the same points, but don't think this hotel is worth over double the cash price of the Rodeway Inn which I have stayed at numerous times.

Since I frequent this area every year or so, the bottom line would be that I won't likely pay cash at this hotel due to better values being elsewhere, but if I have the points through Choice Priveleges or better yet, my travel credit card, this hotel is a particularly good value and I would gladly stay here under those circumstances. I would consider this hotel a 5 star for point value, but only 3 stars for cash, hence the average of 4 stars given.

Room Tip: I didn't see anything about this hotel that would make one room better than another
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
gmor055, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. We value each one and try to build on them.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Clean, spacious rooms, well-equipped with fridge,microwave, easy chair, small sofa, and desk. Large counter in bathroom. Top floor rooms slightly longer.

Breakfast typical for the chain, complete and filling. Wish they had real scrambled eggs instead of the pre-fab patties. Newspapers and cookies free at front desk.

Near airport (as name implies) and less than half a mile north of Costco on Mission Street.

Hotel far back from street so all rooms equally immune from road noise.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
gmor055, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you in the future

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stay here for business often, staff if always polite and helpful. It is close to what I need when I am in town on business, but I would stay here if in town for pleasure because if my previous experiences at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you in the future

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Wonderful location in a modern business park. In the early morning, took our dog for a walk through manicured landscaping and even a couple ponds that were full of waterfowl. The parking lots and sidewalks were still empty and it was rather peaceful.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
gmor055, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your comments and review.

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

From the warm cookies at night to the great beds and service this hotel has served me well everytime I come to Salem. I stay here often enough that they know my name ......breakfast is great and all the staff are wonderful I recommend this hotel anytime you're in Salem.

• Stayed: October 2013
gmor055, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

We love to hear that we make our guests feel at home. Thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you in the future

Reviewed 9 October 2013

This hotel is average which was expected so I was not disapointed in any way. The rooms are nice for one or two and are both clean and comfortable. I also found the palce to be very quiet and fine for buiness, however nothing special. One nice item is they provide a light meal during the dinner hour gratis on Monday through Wednesday.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
gmor055, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are working on making ourselves more than "average". We have alot of things in the works and hope that if you get back in our area again, you will give us another look.