“A Friendly 'Port in the Storm'”

Red Lion Hotel Salem
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Ventura, California
“A Friendly 'Port in the Storm'”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Unexpected stay due to snowstorm on trip from Portland to Nth California. Hotel staff could not have been more friendly and accommodating. This is a good comfortable, clean stay. Small downstairs indoor pool & sauna but oddly, no changing room thereabouts. I changed in Sauna since I was alone there. Restaurant is a bit overpriced for quality of food. My steak was quite tough & leeks on plate not really cooked at all. Both restaurant & bar staff friendly - eager to please. Their attitude sort of makes up for the food.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

RedLionSalemGM, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, 5 December 2016
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us and providing the kind feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Seattle
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I was traveling to Salem to visit family during a hard time. Red Lion Salem was a nice surprise on a hard trip. Check-in a smooth sailing, and our room was upgraded to a king suite, free of charge. Complimentary breakfasts really helped things out too. Couldn't have been happier and will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

RedLionSalemGM, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, 6 December 2016
We like to surprise, thank you for being our guest and the nice comments.
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I was in Salem OR on business. After checking in I went straight up to my room. I entered to find someone else was already checked into that room. They were not there but all of their belongings were. I tried to call the front desk but the clerk did not answer. I proceeded back downstairs to find her chatting away with another guest. After standing there for a bit she finally acknowledged me. When I told her what had happened she simply made me a key card for another room. I told her this was a safety/security issue and asked to speak with a manager. Apparently there are no managers available at the Red Lion Salem in the evenings. I told her she should alert the guest that was checked into room 406 to let them know the error she made. I doubt this happened. The next morning when I checked out there were still no managers available. I called back at 9am when they said their GM Gus would be in and left him a voicemail. Gus finally called me back 4 hours later. Obviously the security of his guests was not that important to him. They compt the room, but that was not the point. I travel with a laptop and personal belongings of value that I may leave in my hotel room when I go to dinner or the hotel fitness room. I want to know that my belongings are secure. If you feel the same you definitely won't want to stay at the Red Lion in Salem OR. Right across the street is the Double Tree by Hilton...a far superior choice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank LLD360
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay with us as your feedback is important when providing excellent service to our guests. I apologize greatly for the experience that you encountered when you were checked into a room that was already occupied. We make every effort to ensure our guests are safe and certainly understand why this would have an effect on the quality of your stay.
We do value you as a guest and I would like to assure you that this will be addressed accordingly with our staff. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you better on your next visit.

Travellers are raving about these Salem hotels

Whitefish, Montana
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed at this property during the Thanksgiving holiday of 2013.

Great location for Salem. Shopping and restaraunts out the front door. Close to I-5.

Our room had a balcony which was used frequently to expand space and allow for the one smoker in the group to not have to go all the way out through the lobby.

Room was clean, and quiet. Pool was great but they have removed the jacuzzi... you should know that.

Room Tip: Balcony is a great help for this property.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for the patronage and nice feedback.
Chico, California
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We were only spending one night in Salem and having stayed at The Red Lion 10 years ago decided to give it another try. The gentleman at the front desk was very welcoming and extremely helpful. I did ask for a quiet upper floor room and that is what we got. The king bed was extremely comfortable and the room had a small refrigerator. The coffee in the room was excellent. We had a drinks at the bar before dinner. Very personable bartender who knew how to make an very good drink. We had dinner in the attached restaurant. The food was very good as was the service. My only complete is the decor of the restaurant which is very stark.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mauisun
Thanks for your return trip and feedback, hope to see you back more often over the next ten years :-)
Salem
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We have stayed at the Red Lion on two occasions now and each have been wonderful stays. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and some even offer a private balcony which is a huge plus! The lounge provides a great atmosphere and the service is exceptional. We dined at the restaurant which offered some of the best dishes in the city. The room service was another bonus!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Jolene M
Thanks for staying with us. We work hard to make our guests happy and appreciate your feedback!
Salem
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I was looking for a place that I could relax and escape the fast-paced world. Wanted something local, close to places that I may wish to visit (like a grocery store, fast-food, restaurant, etc.). Red Lion was the perfect choice, they did not seem to mind when we checked in late. They treated my son like he was a special guest instead of snarling their faces because a child was present. The hotel was very clean and very relaxing! I would go again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Nikki M
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for your kind words. It is our goal to create a truly unique experience for our guests. We want this to be your home away from home, where you can relax and leave it all to us. Locally inspired - seasonally fresh cuisine in our award winning restaurant, soothing libations and cool tunes in the 3301 Ultra Lounge, and a luxurious atmosphere are just some of our wonderful features. We look forward to assisting you in your next escapade!