“Unpleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Springfield
“Unpleasantly Surprised”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Upon my arrival, I noticed that the room was "shabby". Not at all like the one we stayed in at our last visit in October. Also, there was a musty "body odor" smell. Not the clean and fresh smell we were used to. We called the desk and a nice young man brought some "Fabreeze" up. He tried but it didn't help at all. There was "hair" on the lamp shade, a chunk of wallpaper out of the wall and a power strip hanging on the wall next to the TV. Besides being ugly - it was unsafe to have all of those plugged in. Missing cabinet door under the bar sink and a stain under the sink as well. Dusty furniture and more. So very disappointing!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
We value each and every one of our guests and I truly apologize that we failed to provide you the best possible service. We are very displeased to see that there were some areas of concern regarding your room. I would like to apologize for the condition of your room and that there was an odor as well. We do appreciate your feedback so that we are given the opportunity to address your concerns. We thank you very much and we hope to have the chance to serve you better in the near future.
Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I expected to have a terrible stay here. Salem is not exactly chock full of fine hotels, and I chose this one strictly based on its location. And indeed, my room was barely acceptable: I had a view of the roof; the room was barely wide enough to fit its queen bed; the air quality was truly terrible; I could hear my neighbors' TVs; and linens, furniture, and the hotel itself were extremely dingy and dated.

Terrible, right? Except the restaurant, bar, and customer service were awesome at every turn. Savannah at the front desk went above and beyond helping me get a good place to complete some work on my last day. The restaurant had a lovely seasonal and local menu. And, the bar can boast a great wine list, and the BEST BARTENDER IN THE WORLD. I'm serious. I've traveled the world. James Oliver is the best bartender in it. James is worth a destination trip. He knows everything, including you, your unspoken needs, your drink preferences, what books you should read, and what songs you might like. He know every ingredient in every dish from the adjacent kitchen, and what wine you might like to pair it with. He can speak knowledgeably with clients about everything from golf to gardening, and he REMEMBERS people. He makes the bar a fantastic place to spend time.

So what I thought would be a terrible weekend was unexpectedly OK, with occasional AWESOMENESS. Thanks, James!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
RedLionSalemGM, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, 2 December 2016
Thanks for staying with us. We work hard to make our guests happy and appreciate your feedback!
Beaverton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

The hotel was very nice though I thought the room was kind've small. The bed and pillows were to die for!!! I had a coupon for $5 off the dinner menu but they didn't apply it to my bill. I haven't gotten a clear resolution of the problem two days later. I took the service down a notch for this mistake that hasn't been handled as of yet.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Tigard, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I was very unhappy with your hotel last week end. the room smelled like someone had smoked it and a platic bag over the smoke detector . We had to open the windows to get air in the room. I spent alot of money to have a room that did not smell like smoke. We were in a nonsmoking room.

Room Tip: There a platic bag tied on the smoke deceter. the room smelled like someone had smoked it. we had t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
RedLionSalemGM, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, 5 December 2016
Dear Dorothea,

Sincere apologies for the unpleasant stay, thank you for the comments and opportunity to improve.
Olympia, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here along with about 50 others in our group for a weekend basketball tournament. Let the list of unpleasantness begin...

Before we even pulled into the hotel parking lot, EVERYONE in our car said at the same time, "That's not how this place looks in the picture!" The published pic is of a much newer hotel - maybe it's the pic Red Lion took when they first built the place....NOT how it looks now - old and neglected. While cruising the lot looking for parking, we saw the grassy area in front of the hotel restaurant was dead and there were several piles of dog turd right outside the hotel restaurant window. No parking in the cramped lot and had to park on the street the first day due to a huge al-Anon convention happening at the hotel. Arrived in the lobby to find the place was completely overrun with people and their often-unattended children, which continued the whole weekend. While waiting to check in, my husband sat on one of the few pieces of available seating and got his pants soaked by who-knows-what. Tried to check in early and our room wasn't ready yet. Understandable, but then the front desk clerk asked for our number so she could call us when the room was ready - never got a call. Then had to wait for the front desk clerk to stop smooching her boyfriend so we could ask directions. Ceiling tiles throughout the common areas were stained, carpet was wrinkled and old. Our room smelled and the comforter in particular smelled so bad my husband removed it from the bed and put it in the closet. The rest of the bedding APPEARED clean AT FIRST. Walked out onto the 4th floor balcony to find the railing was flimsy. Stayed overnight, took a shower the next morning. On exiting the shower, found a long, black hair stuck to the shower curtain - not any of ours. Then my husband found two areas of my pillow were BLOOD-stained. Not my blood, and I slept on that disgusting biohazard all night. Apparently it was on the underside of the pillow AT FIRST. Took my pillow straight down to the front desk and asked for a refund. Desk clerk's eyes were huge. They comped our room without argument (as they should), and gave us free breakfast coupons. After the nasty pillow, already knowing about the dog-poo-view from the restaurant, and now reading the restaurant reviews on this site, I'm glad we passed on the free breakfast. We will NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere - like the Doubletree less than a block away. We've stayed there twice before, and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Gus C, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Lynn C,

Thank you for all feedback, your comments help guide our efforts on improving our facilities and the service we provide. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope we get a future opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Cordially,

Gus Castaneda

Travellers are raving about these Salem hotels

Salem
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

There was noise in the room above us and outside in the halls. We reported the noise; however, the noise was so pervasive throughout the night that my fiance and I both woke up several times during the night. When the morning came we were exhausted and frustrated with the hotel staff for not taking care of the problem. Upon check out I mentioned this to the staff and the response was, "yeah, that sounds about right." and did not offer to resolve the situation in any way. - Staff was friendly, but unable to respond when needed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jordan S.

Please accept my apologies for the noise, lack of sleep and lack of proper response from our staff. I specially regret our lack of sensitivity and for that I am truly sorry.
I invite you to reach out to me personally on your next visit so we may provide you a pleasant and memorable experience.

Truly yours,

Gus Castaneda
Salem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Excellent hotel. Breakfast was very nice. Beds extremely comfortable and the entire hotel was clean throughout. The staff was friendly. The parking spots could have been a bit larger but lots of good lighting.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Thank you for being our guest and providing the nice feedback.