“Not bad, but lacking...”
Review of Mariner Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Seaside
Mariner Motel
Ranked #27 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Overall the place wasn't bad, it was clean and within walking distance to downtown, and the staff were very friendly and pleasant. The walls are a bit thin and you can hear some of the stuff in the neighbouring rooms but it's kinda muffled. The room has a small microwave and a good size fridge but no coffee maker (coffee available at the office, but no hot water for tea), but it had a VCR for movies which I thought was odd since there were no VHS movies available. But I prefered this place over the Motel 6 which I stayed at last time through Seaside.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was good for parents with kid, had 1 double bed and a twin bed in a separate a...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Superstar_044

Reviewed 26 March 2010

My husband and I have stayed in a lot of hotels...some resorts, some not so nice. This was the absolute worst room either of us had ever stayed it. We drove to Seaside with our one year old daughter on a whim and ended up spending too much time at the beach so we decided to spend the night. We tried every other hotel/motel in Seaside but everything was booked. The Mariner was the only place that still had any rooms. That probably should have been our first warning.

I will say that the woman on the phone was very friendly and gave us great directions. Aside from that, everything else was well below good motel standards. We paid $107 for the room and was told that was with a special discount they were running for the night. The room was disgusting...very unsanitary. It smelled musty and moldy. The dresser was missing a drawer. Don't even get me started on the bathroom...I didn't even take a shower in the morning because the tub was so dirty.

The worst part was the bed. We didn't totally realize this until the sheets popped off in the middle of the night and revealed some terrible stain on the mattress. Honestly, it looked like someone had been murdered on the mattress. I have never felt so gross in my life!

The walls are also paper thin - we heard our neighbors up watching crappy television all night. None of us slept well at all...for more reason than one. Although I didn't see any, I was convinced the room had bedbugs or roaches, waiting to get us.

We weren't expecting anything great for our stay. We realized that our last minute plans might result in a less than stellar hotel. But honestly, I would never, ever stay there again. Not without a hazmat suit.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank melissamk222
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I don't know what hotel these other people were talking about, but it sure wasn't the mariner in seaside. I was there 2 days ago with my kids, and it was the WORST hotel I've ever stayed in. The entire room smelled like urine and poop. We left to go shopping as soon as we got there and thought maybe if we opened the windows it would be better. When we got back it had gotten warmer and the smell was worse. I went and asked the manager if we could move to another room, even a smaller one, and was told no because we had rented the room 2 hrs earlier so it was to late to move. This was at 3pm. So we left again and didn't come back until bed time. While getting ready for bed we discovered a huge urine spot on the top comforter and 2nd blanket!!! I had to walk to the managers office to get a clean one. They didn't even apologize or anything! I wasn't the only customer with these problems. We asked some of our neighbors and they said their rooms smelled too. Overall it was the worst lodgings I have ever came across...The only plus was the pool. That was why we stayed there in the first place. Price and pool. Definitely was NOT worth it!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank jessie0049
Reviewed 21 January 2009

During our very recent stay of 2 nights in this motel we found it to be very clean, well kept, and the room was well stocked. The room contained a working fridge and microwave. The NEW management was very friendly, helpful, and attentive to our needs.
These new managers are quickly changing the image and coziness of this property, for the better.
We hope that the owners of the chain realize the immense value that they have in this management.
The Mariner has very reasonable and affordable off season rates.
On the downside, there is NO coffee in the office as advertised on the website for the Budget properties.
The owners should strongly consider placing coffee pots in each room, this would be a great plus for this property. The decor still retains the garage sale furnished look, but the furnishings are functional, if not a bit mismatched. I found the mattresses to be quite firm but still comfortable enough.
Overall, our stay was quite enjoyable and we plan to book our future trips to Seaside at the Mariner.

Reviewed 11 August 2008

While the people running this mom & pop motel are friendly enough, this place has all the charm of a trailer park. We were overwhelmed by the musty smell of our rooms, and were amazed at how poorly each room was furnished. It was like they furnished the rooms by visiting garage sales. The hot/cold facets were badly mismatched and the sink was old and stained. The pillows were mismatched and had comically mis-fitted pillow cases. The bed covers (in our non-smoking room) were old, thin, and had cigarete burns. There was exactly one Kleenex in the bathroom. As if that was not enough, all of our "neighbors" spent the evening smoking on on the front steps and arguing with each other. I felt like I needed to take a shower after spending a few hours in these rooms, but did not want to get near the disgusting shower stall.

Oh, and they charged my credit card before I even arrived and told me that they could not reverse/refund anything because the money was already "In the bank."

What a dump.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)