“Horrible”
Review of Mariner Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Seaside
Mariner Motel
Ranked #27 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
North Vancouver, Canada
“Horrible”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Arrived in Seaside late in the day on a road trip, without reservations and some volleyball tournament going on...so we ended up at the Mariner.
There were only 3 rooms left when we pulled in - we ended up with a single kitchenette unit for $124.10. It was obvious from the beginning we were getting fleeced.
When we first entered the room, we were mostly just underwhelmed, and a bit nervous of pulling the sheets back. But after a few minutes, we realized the TV was missing! The cable box , remote and cords were there, but no TV. We called the front desk, and the front desk clerk (very nice lady by the way), was 'shocked'. She immediately phoned 'maintenance', with whom she discussed doing up an 'incident report'. Sure. Whatever - a TV showed up while we were out to dinner. By the way, our front desk clerk recommended 'Norma's', which turned out to be incredibly delicious.
A note about the smell...we noticed that it just generally smells bad east of the slough/river in all of Seaside.
After spending the evening at the beach, we decided to have showers. The bathroom seems to have been recently re-done, with one minor exception. The shower curtain is scuzzy and old, and is too short by about 4 inches. It was a walk-in shower stall, so floor became very wet after showering.
No screen in the window.
My thought when paying the ridiculously high price for the hell-hole room was, 'well at least it's a kitchenette'. We were on a camping/hotel combo trip, and had all our cooking gear in the car. Thank god. There was no coffee maker in the room. One of each utensil. One coffee cup, a couple of bowls. All dirty. Maybe some kitchen gear disappeared with the TV.
The wifi password did not work, and the front desk clerk had no helpful alternative.
If you're in a pinch in Seaside, sleep in your car.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Joanna d

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 12 July 2013

East of Seaside beach awaits just the smallest corner of hell, rife with salmon-scented sheets, and just the tiniest pinch of shame. Welcome to the Mariner.

Our stay began with what one might consider to be a state of confusion. There were three rooms, each with just enough room for a bed, which was convenient because that's all they contained. Complimented by broken a.c., a broken television, broken windows, a sinkless bathroom, and clothes from the previous patrons, it could be safely said that we had found a "rent by the hour" land of leisure.

As the evening continued, a return from the beach required use of the shower. As the shower gingerly began to drissle luke warm water to the plastic tiles below, it could be seen that the shower curtain did not reach the floor. Instead, a cool breeze caught me by suprise and the curtain began flowing delicately in the wind, sending a draft my way that felt a lot like Christmas.

In the night, one is subject to the delightful noises of miscreant drug dealings, some of which go very wrong. And if that doesn't suit you, your neighbors will certainly keep you up with their delightful conversations about life, love, and Nascar statistics on the stoop next door. Most the renters live there, so stoop-talk is gauranteed.

The next morning, continental breakfast is a simple cup of black coffee. So if you're John Wayne or just seem to like the taste of chalk, you're on easy street.
Make sure to set your alarm early though, breakfast ends at 9.

My advice, gather your belongings and head elsewhere. Equivalent prices and sanitary rooms await you.

• Stayed June 2013
17 Thank filthygorgeous12

Travellers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Reviewed 6 July 2013

this was the worst hotel I've been to. The beds felt like we were sleeping on boards. there was no give in the mattress. the shower didn't even work and this for $95. the room was very musty smelling. there was no screens on the windows then when we tried to open it the window fell in our hands.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank retta1973
Gresham, Oregon
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Last minute trip to Seaside brought me to the Mariner as there were no rooms available anywhere else. Quick and friendly check-in sent us to room #5 which was very clean, and freshly painted. The bathroom was pretty small, but there was a microwave and fridge in the room. The beds were comfortable and we had a quiet night as we heard no noise from neighbors or the street. The pool was in use and looked to be in good shape as well. Short walk to Broadway Street and down to the promenade. Not a bad place at all, I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RPS080
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Overall the place wasn't bad, it was clean and within walking distance to downtown, and the staff were very friendly and pleasant. The walls are a bit thin and you can hear some of the stuff in the neighbouring rooms but it's kinda muffled. The room has a small microwave and a good size fridge but no coffee maker (coffee available at the office, but no hot water for tea), but it had a VCR for movies which I thought was odd since there were no VHS movies available. But I prefered this place over the Motel 6 which I stayed at last time through Seaside.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was good for parents with kid, had 1 double bed and a twin bed in a separate a...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Superstar_044
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 26 March 2010

My husband and I have stayed in a lot of hotels...some resorts, some not so nice. This was the absolute worst room either of us had ever stayed it. We drove to Seaside with our one year old daughter on a whim and ended up spending too much time at the beach so we decided to spend the night. We tried every other hotel/motel in Seaside but everything was booked. The Mariner was the only place that still had any rooms. That probably should have been our first warning.

I will say that the woman on the phone was very friendly and gave us great directions. Aside from that, everything else was well below good motel standards. We paid $107 for the room and was told that was with a special discount they were running for the night. The room was disgusting...very unsanitary. It smelled musty and moldy. The dresser was missing a drawer. Don't even get me started on the bathroom...I didn't even take a shower in the morning because the tub was so dirty.

The worst part was the bed. We didn't totally realize this until the sheets popped off in the middle of the night and revealed some terrible stain on the mattress. Honestly, it looked like someone had been murdered on the mattress. I have never felt so gross in my life!

The walls are also paper thin - we heard our neighbors up watching crappy television all night. None of us slept well at all...for more reason than one. Although I didn't see any, I was convinced the room had bedbugs or roaches, waiting to get us.

We weren't expecting anything great for our stay. We realized that our last minute plans might result in a less than stellar hotel. But honestly, I would never, ever stay there again. Not without a hazmat suit.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank melissamk222
OREGON
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I don't know what hotel these other people were talking about, but it sure wasn't the mariner in seaside. I was there 2 days ago with my kids, and it was the WORST hotel I've ever stayed in. The entire room smelled like urine and poop. We left to go shopping as soon as we got there and thought maybe if we opened the windows it would be better. When we got back it had gotten warmer and the smell was worse. I went and asked the manager if we could move to another room, even a smaller one, and was told no because we had rented the room 2 hrs earlier so it was to late to move. This was at 3pm. So we left again and didn't come back until bed time. While getting ready for bed we discovered a huge urine spot on the top comforter and 2nd blanket!!! I had to walk to the managers office to get a clean one. They didn't even apologize or anything! I wasn't the only customer with these problems. We asked some of our neighbors and they said their rooms smelled too. Overall it was the worst lodgings I have ever came across...The only plus was the pool. That was why we stayed there in the first place. Price and pool. Definitely was NOT worth it!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family