“Right on the Prom if that's what you like - older place though”
Review of Ocean Front Motel

Ocean Front Motel
Ranked #7 of 9 Seaside B&B and Inns
seattle
“Right on the Prom if that's what you like - older place though”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I have to admit, I was kind of reluctant making reservations after reading a few of the reviews. But our trip was decided the week before we left, and I was hard pressed finding a reasonably priced room, let alone a smoking room. I was told no pets allowed (great for me because I don't care for the smell of dog hair or the bugs) and that there would be wifi access in the room. And from the helpful notes from previous reviews, I brought a window sheer (because I knew we had a ground floor room), a fan and scented candles. The room was what it was for the price, and for that I have no complaints. I mean really, the sand and ocean was right outside your window. Yes, it is an older building, so it doesn't have modern luxuries. The appliances and beds are older and much used. We hung the curtain sheer and that took care of the people on the Prom, and the candles and fan took care of the musty ocean smell, which wasn't that bad anyway. But when we had to use the internet to do our business, we lost connection after 15 minutes and never got it back the rest of the stay. My husband had to go to the internet cafe in town to use the laptop. Very inconvenient and probably the only complaint I had about our stay. They did offer to move us to another room to see if we had better wifi, so we did move to a room upstairs, which was a nicer room than the one we had, but other than not having people right outside your window, the room was the same - old appliances and beds. I would definitely stay again, but will opt for an upstairs room next time.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor rooms are larger and nicer because you're above the Prom.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
portland, oregon
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Pros:
*They allow one-night reservations even on a Saturday night in August. The vast majority of the other hotels/motels I looked at had a two-night minimum.
*The location was perfect! Right on the Prom.
*Great view
*Microwave, fridge in room. (However, our fridge wasn't working - see Cons)
*Much cheaper than the surrounding hotels/motels
*When they gave my friend a much smaller room than she had reserved, they apologized and gave her a free night stay.

Cons:
*The room stunk like an ash tray (but there is an openable window, so the smell improved a bit after we left the window open for several hours)
*No clock, phone, or shampoo in the room
*Our room only had a shower, no tub (important for families with little ones that need a tub)
*Several families reserved rooms here and they gave about half of us a different room than what we reserved.
*Because they gave us a room with 1 bed when we reserved a room with 2 beds, they gave us a roll-away at no charge (normally $5), however they said that they were out of pillows.
*The fridge felt cold when we got there so we put our food in it. In the morning the fridge was warm and we had to throw out all of the food. I did tell the office but they did not compensate at all.

Because we were only staying one night and were out on the beach at our bonfire until late and then got up fairly early to go to Pig-N-Pancake for breakfast, we did not spend much time in the room. In this situation, I think the room was worth it because of not having the two-night minimum and it was about $100 cheaper than the surrounding hotels/motels.

I think that as long as you know what to expect, this is an OK place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This motel has an excellent location in Seaside. The unobstructed views on the beach and ocean are terrific. I appreciated that they would allow a one night reservation on a weekend unlike many that require 2-3 in summer..... but the magic stops there.

We stayed here about 15 years ago. It was getting run down then but I like the price and location so I tried again and that was a big mistake. I have to say that other than a purchase of sheets and towels I don't think they have upgraded much since we had been there way back when.

I really wanted it to be a better experience since it was the last night on our road trip but it wasn't at all. The place is tired, soiled and shabby.

It didn't help that at check-in they tried to downgrade the room I had paid for months in advance and then when I showed my receipt and room type they tried to charge me $20 more for it.
It didn't help that the housekeeper and her barking dog were parked a couple of feet in front of our friends doorway for hours.
It didn't help that the parking lot and walkways were littered with cig butts and misc debris. The windows looking out to the terrific ocean view were filthy, there were many stains and rips in the aged indoor- outdoor quality carpet. The 70's goodwill reject furniture was soiled and torn and the room smelled pretty bad. There were tiles missing in the bathroom floor and someone else's hair in the shower stall... YUK.

I'm all for low budget lodging and even rustic or decade themes but this place has become a dump and it's screaming to be brought up into the 21st century.

They allow fires on this beach and it was hot out. We had to close the only window giving us a breeze because the room was filling with smoke. Then we had to sleep in the hot, smokey, stinky, shabby room. No AC, no fan. Bummer. ( BYO fan)

Yes, we even felt compelled to look for bedbugs and happily didn't find any.(Whew) especially since we had to stay having brought our friends and had 4 rooms reserved and nowhere else to go. It's really too bad because the location is so great (ocean front and steps from the prom, shops,dining and fun) and this place could really rock if someone took on the project.

BTW it wasn't just me and my husband that felt this way. We brought 6 other guests and they all said UGH, this is a dump.

If you need a relatively cheap beach place (considering the rates at surrounding lodging) it may be ok for you if you can get beyond the bad repair and no amenities but have very, very low expectations.
Sorry Ocean front you are off of our list. :(

Room Tip: There is a walkway right in front of the downstairs rooms view windows and everyone stares into your...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Harleytravelerx2

Travellers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Longview, Washington
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This motel is right on the Prom in Seaside, and all the rooms face the beach. The view is wonderful and the people watching is terrific. But the hotel itself is quite awful. We had a ground floor room with a queen bed that was as hard as a rock. Not only that, but the mattress pad was coarse and poked through the sheets. The furniture is from the 60s or so, except the refrigerator which was more from the 50s. There was a little 20- year old tv and a rusty old baseboard heater we were afraid to use.

We paid for two nights before we looked at the room because the place we usually stay was full, so we were kind of stuck. But never again. We didn't even get housekeeping! Somebody came by and left clean towels, but didn't make the bed or empty the garbage or anything else.

Save yourself a miserable night and keep looking!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank melindamccrady
Stockton
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We came out last minute for a wedding and I didnt want to have to pay and arm and leg for a single night stay. So after ALOT of research we decided to reserve with them. The price was very reasonable and I was very satisfied with the office staff. I was coming from California and I knew I would not be in town till about midnight to 1am that Saturday and I was worried that I would have to pay another night. After explaining my situation the manager was most helpful and offered to leave the key in a accessable spot for us so we can check in, for the office will be closed.

The location and ammenities offered in the room was FANTASTIC! if I knew I would be getting a full functional kitchen I would of just bought groceries and brought there! I know next time.

The only slightly negative thing I can say is when you first walk in the room it has a stale musty smell as if it needed to be aired out. After leaving the doors open and turning on the fan the smell lifted and we enjoyed our stay.

Will most definatly visit the Beautiful Seaside again and will booking in a Ocean Front Motel!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stay here on our way to Lincoln City each year as well as on the journey home.
Yes, it is totally outdated so be prepared for that BUT it is the best location for the price in Seaside and it is clean.
We sit at our window and watch the sunset...how great is that!
We are always welcomed and made to feel at home and when there was a plumbing problem after we had checked in last week we were immediately moved to another room with apologies (they couldn't have predicted the problem) and a smile.
We will stay there agai next year!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arden44
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed 11 January 2012

For an inexpensive, no frills, nothing special or fancy motel, this place is great. I was worried about the cheap price (the whole, "getting what you paid for" thing) but was pleasantly surprised by the warm staff (she had cookies and/or muffins out every day for guests) and cleanliness.

Yes the rooms are dated, and if you're looking for something fancy, this is not it. But if you want a warm place to sleep, a roof over your head, an excellent ocean view, a great location, and a cheap price, this is it!

My only suggestion would be to allow dogs, especially since the staff had her dog on site. I would have loved to bring my little dog with us on this trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in a far corner room on the ground level and loved the views!
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple