“Substandard”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I made reservations through Priceline. What I didn't know is that they do not give you two beds if you are traveling with a friend. When we checked in, I asked the staff if there was a room with two beds and she said "no". They brought in a roll-away cot with springs poking through for $21. Good thing I had my camping mattress with me. Elevator was dirty; carpet throughout was in need of Hooverizing. The breakfast was so-so and it was in the lobby. I'd stay somewhere else next time. They were going to change over to another name on July 9th--Guest something or another. I couldn't find it on here.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank WindyRuth
Heritage H, Owner at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

I'm very sorry Priceline confused you with their reservation process. Assuming you were using their "Name Your Price" functionality they unfortunately do not guarantee a number of beds. When the hotel is full (which is the case most of the time) we don't have the option to correct their mistake by upgrading you to a different room.

I am glad that our staff went to the extra effort to try to accomodate you with a rollaway bed.

During peak season at a busy hotel it's a little dangerous to book through a 3rd party like that. They don't always maintain information accurately and, as you found out, Priceline only books one bed. A good rule of thumb is to shop on any site you want but book directly. The published rates are guarranteed to be the same, you get accurate information, and you don't have to pay in advance.

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We just got back today from a 3 day stay at Microtel...won't go back...we were given 2 small micro size bars of soap for 3 days for 4 people.....one micro bottle of shampoo...2 wash cloths for 4 people...also the whole time we were there our swere never replaced with fresh and our blankets were just pulled up, which I could have done myself...I reported that our ac was not working properly 2 days in a row and nothing was done, like maybe a follow up...the day we left out bathroom outlet was not working at all...also there was not one piece of fruit in the morning breakfast...the coffee was like warm 2 out of three mornings....
We reported these problems and nothing was done....not even a 20% savings of some sort...Cannon Beach...You may be pricier but we're coming back at least we get spoiled there and if their are 4 people in a room there will be 4 washcloths in that room and our beds are made everyday and changed every other day!!! Sorry Microtel....There were fingerprints and smudge marks on the mirror above the bed...not sure where they came from or why they were not wiped off. The main hallway has dirt along the edge of the carpets along the wall...

Room Tip: Go to Cannon Beach..
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank syl y

Very sorry you weren't delighted with your stay. It sounds like we should have done our job better and we will work hard to do so.

Perhaps you were confused by our efforts to conserve water and energy? The tent card in your room is to be place on your bed if you want the sheets changed. That gives our guests the opportunity to help consume less water, energy, and cleaning detergents.

I must point out that if any of our guests have any problem during their stay we encourage them to let us know so we can correct it right away. I have no doubt that if a guest let us know they needed more soap or more wash cloths, we would immediately provide all that you want!

Reviewed 8 July 2012

This Future Guest House Inn/Hotel overcame some Main Lobby Customer Check in out construction related obstacles during our brief stay. The Continental Breakfast was above average and despite the construction and ownership issues the staff was also above average. Our Room was clean and efficient and slightly undersized as many newer Budget type hotel are. The Hotel appeared to be full and we probably paid a slight premium for the In Demand location of Seaside between Depoe Bay and Astoria. There did not appear to be many convenient Late Night Dining options in the Hotels immediate area.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room as our room was very small and we did not have much extra breathing room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks for recognizing our great staff and breakfast!

Just need to correct that there are no "ownership issues". Ownership, management and staff are all the same - we are just changing the name by becoming a GuestHouse International Inns & Suites franchisee. As a a GuestHouse we will have more flexibility to provide the services our guests value, and our guests will have a larger family of hotels to choose from (16 in Washington and Oregon alone). Accumulate just 10 nights at GuestHouse hotels and you get a $40 credit or $40 gift card.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

It was okay. Just okay. Nothing to rave about - the breakfast was mediocre (no hot food - but we were informed that starting next week...July 8, 2012, they will be serving hot food for breakfast). The description of the hotel states that it was renovated in 2010, and I can see bits and pieces of it, but updating a few more things can make a huge difference. The carpet needs updating and the TV's. Other than that, the hotel was clean, and simple. We had a suite, so we also had a mini fridge and microwave. The room was big enough to hang out in.
Staff was friendly, and they allow pets which was nice. $10/night per animal and the hotel didn't smell like smelly wet dogs, which shows that housekeeping is doing a good job :) Would I stay again? Maybe. But if the price difference between this hotel and one a little nicer is less than a $30 difference, I'd probably choose a different one.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thanks for staying and pointing out the cleanliness and all the things you appreciated about the hotel!

That is correct that we now include fresh hot waffles with our breakfast that already includes fresh whole fruit, Yoplait yogurt, a wide variety of hot and cold cereals, several different muffins, 2 different bagels, Florida's Natural juices and Maxwell House coffee.

Reviewed 30 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night-we could not wait to leave. While the hotel itself was clean, the staff was beyond rude. We travel quite a bit and we have never been treated so poorly by hotel staff.

Before I express my “concerns” for how we were treated, I do want to be fair. There were some nice things about the hotel. The room was clean and there was a nice breakfast the next morning.

I am not going to post everything on here that happened for the entire community to see. People have bad days, but what happened to us was FAR beyond this. All we will say is this: be careful when you make your reservation, especially if you make it online through any one of the travel sites. Check it, check it and check it again before you get to this hotel. Also, make sure you read EVERYTHING they have you sign. You are held responsible for room damage, which is normal. However, the clerk did not like that I took pictures of our room (before we took any of our things in) and had him document the damage (that was already there) on our “inventory sheet.” (We travel a lot and I have never seen one of these "inventory sheets" before.)

We have never had this much trouble. As the saying goes, caveat emptor.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lee R

Thanks for recognizing the nice things about our hotel and its cleanliness.

Great advice to be very careful booking through 3rd parties. They do not always maintain accurate information. On the other hand, booking directly gets you the same rate or better you get on any 3rd party, guarantees the accuracy of information, does NOT require you to pay in advance, and gives you much more flexibility for cancelling or changing a reservation. A good rule of thumb is shop on any web site you want, but always book directly.

I am not certain what "inventory sheet" you are talking about as that is not a normal procedure for our hotel. Perhaps it had something to do with you wanting to document any damage prior to occupying the room. Of course, like all hotels, our damage policy is simply that if you decide to smoke in your room, put your fist through the wall, or walk off with all the linens, you are liable for the repair or replacement cost.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Microtel Seaside used to be a nice place to stay. However, a recent visit was disappointing from start to finish.

On 06/20, my family and I arrive to a lobby under loud construction. According to a cardboard sign propped next to a makeshift check-in desk, the hotel is in the middle of being converted to a GuestHouse property. When we made our reservation, no mention of construction activity was ever mentioned. Guests should be given a heads-up. In my mind, we’re off to a bad start. On the plus side, the staff member who checked us in was very nice. He tried to place our two rooms close together. We ended up on different floors, but I give him points for trying and being professional. The rooms themselves were not as clean and comfortable as in the past. Yet, we only reserved a one night stay and decide to stick it out.

The morning of 06/21, the front desk/breakfast area was still consumed with construction activity. The female staff member on shift was barely at the makeshift desk, instead chatting with her coworkers. Finally, after getting staff attention, we’re told a computer system (or something of the sort) was being swapped out. It was in the middle of check-out hours and we could not get a receipt. What a strange time to does a project like this, it feels like poor planning on part of the hotel. Why pick a time for printers to be out of commission when people are leaving and asking for their bill? If this just had to be done in the middle of morning check-out, why not preprint receipts? Or how about giving guests a heads-up? After all, communication is a good thing, we could have planned around this. What really irks me is the way the disrespectful male staff member handled the situation, the one fiddling with the computer. He basically just told my father he would have to wait twenty minutes. Ummm…that’s your attempt at customer services? No effort to offer another solution, no apology? Long story short –poor customer service provided. I guess they figure they already have our money, they don’t care if guests need or want a receipt.

In conclusion, this hotel is not as good as it once was. Is it because Guesthouse is now taking over? We’ll never know, we don’t want to stay here again to find out.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ellecarr
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

I'm very sorry you had anything less than a delightful experience. We do work hard to delight every guest, and succeed most of the time.

I do want to make sure the facts are correct:
1) The "construction" you refer to was a front desk remodel. It follows on the heels of a breakfast area remodel. Both are now complete, and both were done to improve the experience of our guests.
2) Noisy work during any remodel is restricted to middel of the day hours when most guests are not in the hotel.
3) The front desk that was being worked on was cordoned off with a floor to ceiling plastic sheeting to limit dust, etc. The breakfast area and breakfast seating was not affected by the remodel activity.
4) The "makeshift" desk you refer to was a sturdy, bi-level mobile desk designed for that purpose.

I have to disagree with you on "not as good as it once was". Our staff is better than ever, facility has been upgraded with hundreds of thousands of dollars in investment in the last 3 years, we're busier than ever and have more positive feedback from guests than ever. I hope you'll give us another try so that we can change your opinion.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

as a single person on a budget, i got a good rate on the hotel on hotwire. everything in seaside, especially on weekends, is overpriced. but with the deal, i was satisfied with my 3 night stay there. i had a small but comfortable and clean room. it did not have a microwave or fridge- those cost extra. it had a large wardrobe closet- the tv was on top of it so it was rather awkward to view the tv. the bed was lumpy. the room had a window seat and nice bathroom. i used the fan to block noise from the highway, but it wasn't too loud at night. there was a microwave and computer for public use in the lobby, which was convenient. staff were always pleasant and the breakfast was very good- hot and cold cereal, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit, juices, coffee, etc.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo