“Nice staff, decent hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Seaside
glenwood iowa
“Nice staff, decent hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Let me start off by saying that the only real complaints I have were the housekeeping. I have 3 sons, I don't know that I'd ever trust them to do a cleaning job that would be held to any reasonable standards. There was hair on our bedding which kind of put me off. The pull out bed is really not fit for sleeping. My 13 year old elected to simply sleep on it as a couch. The staff were friendly and willing to assist at any time. The free breakfast was nice ( all carbs though) and the free always available coffee and juice was a very nice touch.

Room Tip: Not a bad deal. Now knowing what I do, I'd probably spend a bit more for an oceanfront hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Steve C, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
I appreciate the feedback. I will begin also with housekeeping. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the reference to not trusting your 3 sons cleaning abilities as to how that is relevant to our cleaning. I am not sure what exactly you are trying to say. What I will say is this, our sheets come straight from the laundry room to your bed so their cleanliness should not be brought into question, however, hair (no matter its origin) found in a bed I'm sure is quite off putting and quite unacceptable. I don't recall getting any complaints of this or hearing anything on site, but if it happened I do apologize greatly for the inconvenience.
We have a variety of rooms to choose from when making reservations. I presume a room with 2 beds would have worked out better in your situation.
I appreciate you pointing out our staff and their willingness to assist. They are happy to do so, as am I.
As for your tip, everyone is encouraged to shop around. We are not oceanfront and we do not charge oceanfront prices. Only you can determine your needs. There are plenty of hotels to choose from and a plethora of information out there to find what works best for you. Again, everyone is encouraged to research everything and I do believe in doing so all will find that we are at the top as far as value for price paid. Thank you for trying us out and for taking the time time to review. Happy travels and perhaps we will see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed for 1 night in a very tiny room! I think our bedroom at home, which is of modest size, is bigger than this whole room. The air conditioning system had a hair trigger, so it kept cutting in and out all night as the room temperature changed. Kind of annoying. There was no fridge or microwave. Our room was right beside the elevator and the ice & soda machines, so it was fairly noisy all night.

Nobody was at the front desk when we arrived, so, as directed, we used the pager to locate someone. After about a 5-minute wait, the hotel manager came out to assist us. When we met the front desk evening person later, she was helpful, and the morning person was friendly and fantastic, even providing recommendations for places to eat in Seaside and Astoria.

The included breakfast is ok, nothing spectacular. They do have waffles, which is perhaps the best selling feature for the breakfast. And there are coffee, tea, and juice 24/7.

Overall, would I stay here again? Probably not, unless I had a bigger room. The price was good, but you do get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room away from the elevator and ice/soda machines, in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Cindy D
Steve C, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to review. We don't generally get complaints regarding our A/C units, although, if there was a problem and we had been informed then I assure you we would have attempted to fix it for you.

From the description provided it sounds as if you reserved the least expensive, most economical room in the house. So in a sense I would have to agree that you get what you pay for. You seem to know that we have larger rooms with fridges, microwaves, and a great deal more space, but booked this one instead. We lay the choices out there so guests can book what best suits their needs.

I understand that waiting of any kind at an empty desk is intolerable, but I have to respectfully presume an exaggeration with the length of time you claim to have waited after ringing the bell. I do apologize that you were not immediately greeted as you should have been, but the bell is there for a reason and is responded to in kind.

Thank you for acknowledging staff who you found pleasant and helpful as well as pointing out our delicious waffles. Agreed, they are definitely the crowd favorite.

Knowing what you know with regard to the different kinds of rooms we offer I would have to say that if you tried to compare apples to apples with any other facility in the area you would find that no matter what room type you choose we are still the best value around. I hope you will take everything into consideration and look forward to serving you again should you give us the chance.

Travellers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We decided (last minute) to head to the Oregon coast and googled "pet friendly hotels". The Guesthouse was on the list! So we made reservation (online -- super easy) and the drive. Upon arrival, the staff was friendly and helpful. We have two (small-mid size) dogs and only had to pay one 10.00 fee for both. We were given access to the hotel's free, guest, WIFI that actually worked--unlike experiences, with other hotels, in the past. The room was clean, orderly and large enough for the four of us (two dogs and two humans). The room was quiet, AC worked great, had cable, a fridge and microwave. After hitting the room, we drove to the beach (but could have walked 10 minutes to get there). The hotel was also, conveniently, located next door to a bar : ) and restaurants. Breakfast was great too--we had several options and were very satisfied. After experiencing two other (lesser) pet friendly hotels in Seaside, Oregon, I won't have to make that decision again. We will definitely stay here again! Thank you Guesthouse!

Stayed August 2014
I'm glad you found us and thrilled to hear you will be back. Thank you so much for pointing out everything you did. We are grateful you chose us and that you will be returning. We look forward to being of service to you in the future. Don't forget the pups!!
Tacoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I honestly have nothing negative to say. Overall, it was a great experience. They were very accommodating. They even brought in a DVD player for us when we requested it. Very friendly customer service people as well.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Steve C, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you very much for choosing us for accommodations and for taking the time to review. We appreciate hearing affirmation that efforts are on the right track and well received. We enjoy making people happy! Thank you again for the review and we hope to serve you again.
Tukwila, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

My family stayed here for one night. The customer service was quite helpful and was very friendly. We enjoyed the free breakfast that came with the reservation. The location was a 3-5min walk from the ocean; which my family really liked because we got to see the local neighborhood and store/eatery on the way to the beach. The only think i would suggest is to update the bed sofa, its dated and it hurts to sleep on. Overall, we loved it and would come back in the future.

Stayed July 2014
Steve C, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you very much for the review. Seaside is a fun place to be and we enjoy being part of it. I appreciate the feedback as it does assist us on areas of improvement. Thank you for pointing out our proximity to the ocean and how long it took you to walk there. Although you must walk quite fast, 10 minutes is not out of the question on average. I'm sure some people assume because we are on the highway that we are much further away than that. I am glad that you enjoyed the greater majority of our facility and your stay. We look forward to having you back!
Missoula, Montana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We spent two nights here while traveling the coast. Our room had one bed, a pullout couch, a mini fridge, and a microwave. Our room was very clean, and painted in newer style, warm colors. The carpet was clean throughout the room. The bed was comfortable. Our two kids slept on the pullout couch. I couldn't have slept on it, as it is just a pullout couch, but the kids thought it was neat. Television swiveled to face either bed. The window seat is a bit high, but the kids also enjoyed that.

The lobby is a busy area and can be loud, but even with a room right by the front desk, we couldn't hear any of it. In fact, it was so quiet that I couldn't be sure anyone else was staying in the hotel (even though clearly the place was nearly full). The front desk staff is very friendly, especially the lady who works in the evenings. She was helpful, engaging, and continuously asked how our trip was going.

Breakfast was great. The have a "make your own waffle" system, bagels, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, and yogurt. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and juice was available any time of day, which is why the lobby was such a busy area. The coffee wasn't great, Maxwell House, but free nonetheless. I'm not sure where the people complaining about the breakfast usually stay, but this place has a very nice spread.

Our room had no evidence of pets, and the dogs we did encounter were very well-behaved and friendly. Also, the location is close enough to the beach that it's an easy trip, but a ways away of the busyness you find on the promenade. Even though it's on the highway and we had a highway facing room, we could hear no traffic noise from our room.

Overall, we were incredibly impressed with our stay here. For the area, this hotel is a great value. Thanks for the great stay and hospitality!
-The Petersons :)

Also, Big Foot's right next door was great too. I noticed they had some rough reviews as well, but we were very glad we gave them a try. Delicious!

Room Tip: The pullout couch is not for extended stays, it's just a pullout couch.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I thank you very much for taking the time to review us in such detail! I believe you said it all and we appreciate you doing so! We hope to see you again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Good location but not well maintained. Carpeting in kitchenette badly stained - kids played name that stain! Mattresses need replacing. Room dust on clothing wardrobe and spider webs on light fixture. Free breakfast was worth what it cost. Dining are had overflowing trash, food all over counter, stained chairs, sticky tables.

Room Tip: I tried to get upstairs room and they told me I could not because I booked through s hotel site.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Steve C, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
I appreciate the feedback, but have to disagree with the idea that the facility is not well maintained. I heard no such complaints of any of the listed observations so I have to believe that either they are being exaggerated or simply were not large enough a hindrance to effect your stay. I will give you this, I noticed the breakfast area issues you brought up, and although it is beyond busy this time of year and is difficult to continuously stay on top of, we do have staff especially appointed for that. Please know they have since been relieved of their duties here at the hotel as what you described and I witnessed is unacceptable. I do appreciate your patience with that. I want to address one last thing and that is your "Room Tip". No one would be denied a request of floor based on how the room was booked. Locations are determined on what is available at the time of check in. When a room is reserved it is a room type not a room number or location, therefore, when a guest comes to check in they are allocated a room matching the room type reserved right then at the time of check in and no sooner. Again, and I want to stress this, the manner in which a room is booked has no bearing on the location of the room.