“Would stay here anytime.........”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #20 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
Oakdale,CA
“Would stay here anytime.........”
Reviewed 27 August 2010

This was our first stay with a Microtel hotel , and a few of the reviews about the rooms being tiny worried us a bit, but when we got there, we had a fast check in and by accident I booked a "access" room , which is a bit roomier to allow for wheelchair navigation, I offered to switch to a regular room to allow the room to be used by someone needing it but was told that these are the last rooms they rent so we could keep it, the room was clean, larger than expected, wyfi worked great although be aware as you log into it you will see you are exposed to many other computers, so use all security. did not find the room loud at all, breakfast was your normal full style fair so is a nice option, not just a bagel or roll, but a full deal, The facility is a bit far to end of town so plan on driving up to mall/boardwalk area, unless you like a nice walk..............over all we were fine and would stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
South Florida
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I usually book 4-5 star hotels but this trip I wanted comfortable economy and found it at this Microtel.

Traveling solo I didn't need lots of room for my 5 night stay. My single queen room was really small but absolutely adequate for just me. It was well laid out, wireless in-room internet, clean and had a decent bed. For those too cheap to own a laptop, there's internet access at a terminal in the lobby. A/C and heat (I needed both) worked great and the windows actually open for fresh air!
The continental breakfast is pretty basic and low end but the waffles were OK. As others have already noted, there aren't enough chairs and tables in the dining area.
Staff was helpful if a bit provincial overly and casual.

Location was great for me, located on the main road, allowing fast access to get where I had to go every day. However, it's not in the scenic part of town or near the beach and other attractions. It's not even withing walking distance of the cool stuff but it's just a 5 minute drive away.

So, why stay here if there are so many places closer to the beach and cute little downtown area? PRICE! In high season and on the busiest of times I paid $90/night when everyone else wanted an awful lot more. This was really cheap for decent lodging at peak season. If you can afford a nicer place on the beach do it but if you need to save your dollars and want a perfectly serviceable, reasonable modern facility, stay here.

I booked 3 nights but the stay was so pleasant I extended 2 additional nights. Don't think I'd bring a date here but its a fantastic choice for a budget traveler. One downside to that is that you get a lot of budget travelers here......... people who roll out of bed and trudge down to the continental breakfast in bare feet and without washing up. These are probably the same people nitpicking this hotel in some prior reviews. NOTE TO WHINERS: If you're a super-fussy traveler, wtf are you doing at a Microtel??? Save the complaints for the many hotels that are charging twice what the local Microtel charges

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Dive4Blood
Clinton, Utah
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I was a little nervous about our reservation here after reading some of the reviews. I was pleasantly surprised by our experience here. The staff was very friendly. The rooms were clean and up to date. You can get free passes to the community pool in the evenings from the hotel. It is a nice pool. The breakfast was your usual bagels, waffles, and juice. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mgturtle
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend, July 30-August 1 2010. Our room rate was $119.95 for a budget hotel. Save your money...you're better off staying at the Motel 6 next door. The room was incredibly average. Ours was a "suite," which basically meant an island with microwave, mini-fridge and sink in the middle of the room. The "sofa" in the sitting area was basically a loveseat that felt like cheap vinyl fabric. Everything else is what you'd expect from staying at a place like La Quinta or Budget Inn. The walls were thin and we had to complain about the incredibly loud people in the room next to us the second night, indicating if they couldn't get them to quiet down we'd need to switch rooms, as my husband was ill and trying to rest. I was told there were no other rooms. The noise finally quieted down when we said something directly to the guests themselves. The "continental breakfast" was nothing more than cereal with milk, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, teeny packages of apple slices, a waffle machine and beverages. We actually opted to purchase our breakfast the second day...we would've rather paid for it than consume what they were offering "for free."

The biggest problem I had with this hotel was their customer service. Upon check-in, we gave a credit card different than what was used to book the reservation online for the pre-authorization and room charge. We were told by the clerk that nothing had been charged to the card used for holding the reservation and that the new card would be used for everything. Upon returning home, it was found that they had placed a hold on the original card for the entire hotel charge, and had also charged my husband's card for the stay itself. I contacted the hotel to explain that we had specifically given an alternate card so this wouldn't occur, and finally had to demand the clerk contact the hotel manager. She did so and came back and told me there was nothing she could do. I insisted on contacting the hotel manager, but was told she couldn't give me the number. I told her I'd wait on hold with her while she contacted him and had him contact me - at this point there was no trust that they'd do what they said and I've heard that whole "we'll have someone call you back" spiel before. After 15 minutes, the manager did contact me. I went round and round with him that this was unacceptable, I'd specifically arranged for this not to happen, and that they needed to contact Merchant Services to have the hold removed. I was told "my employee who knows how to do that comes on shift at 11pm tonight." Seriously? You have one employee who knows how to dial out the phone? It's a matter of calling a 1-800 number, giving them your merchant ID, and asking them to release the hold. I asked for the name of the hotel employee to call back after 11pm to ensure this happened. The manager, Greg, refused, saying "you've already taken up enough of my employee's time." Wow Greg, did I INCONVENIENCE you and your staff? Gee...my fault. Apparently your hotel greatly inconveniencing me is irrelevant.

Of course, here it is the next morning and Surprise! the money is still being withheld from my account.

This is the poorest customer service I've ever experienced. In the end I was basically told "we'll take care of it" and of course that didn't happen. Greg asked me what he could do, and I explained about contacting Merchant Services and suggested he comp part of our stay for all the trouble, and he refused to do both. I'll never stay at this hotel again, and will tell anyone I know in the Portland area to do the same.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cld76
sutherlinmicrotel, Owner at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 9 August 2010
I personally interacted with this guest and can assure you we gave her a great deal of attention and did everything we reasonably could to help her. I am sorry to say that in spite of our efforts to help her she still felt it was not enough. After checking in to our hotel and then changing the card she wanted to use to pay for the room, it took 24 hours for her bank to release the hold on the funds from the original card she checked in with. We were happy to go to the extra efforts of manually checking that our overnight processes properly charged the card she desired and even expediting the release by faxing a written statement to her bank that we saw no reason for them to hold her funds.

Travellers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Very very small rooms. Did not get very good service from the front desk at check in. Was not told of policies at time of booking that I should have been told, even though I asked, and was surprised a check in with different information. Location is away from all the attractions. Hotel is newer and cleaner then others I have seen though, but way too expensive for what is offered. Next time will pay a little more so I dont feel like Im in a closet. No fridge or microwave, but did have air conditioning. Was a little loud in the mornings with every door slamming shut that it was hard to sleep.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
sutherlinmicrotel, Owner at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 22 July 2010
We appreciate the comments regarding the newer feeling and cleanliness. I don't have enough information from the review to address the comments about different information at time of booking. It is definitely our intent that all information made available through all channels be accurate and consistent. Rooms will be smaller than at more expensive hotels, there is no doubt about that. The efficient design is one of the things that allows us to keep our rates reasonable.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 January 2010

This is a basic, no frills hotel on par with a clean Motel 6. I'm not sure what the others are complaining about - the rooms are very small, yet clean and simple. The complimentarty breakfast is adequate. The free wifi worked just fine. And for the money (around $50 night) it's pretty hard to find too much to whine about.

But I will.

The lighting in this hotel is awful. Harsh flourescents abound, from the moment you enter the lobby to the severe brightness of your overly white bathroom. It's hard to get a comfortable amount of lighting in your room at night, the design is simply atrocious. Just one bedside lamp would have sufficed but none obviously exist. We ended up keeping the lights off as much as possible and used the ambiant light from the tube tv that was perched high atop a freestanding closet.

The hotel also has no newspapers for free or for sale in the morning. That, coupled with the poor lighting prevent me from going hog wild over this place. Still, for such a cheap price I can overlook such shortcomings and give it a thumbs up.

Plus

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank tobeginwith
sutherlinmicrotel, Owner at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 4 June 2010
Thanks for your compliments on what you appreciated about your stay, as well as what you felt needed improvement. You definitely picked up on what has made Microtel so successful - keeping it simple and efficient, doing what we do with quality, and keeping rates very reasonable.

The lighting design won't change, but I can assure you that we will make sure the lights that are part of the design will operate properly. If supplemental lighting is needed and we have an extra lamp in supply, we will gladly provide it at no charge. You are right that we failed to offer newspapers to guests, and we are correcting that. We will offer papers going forward.
Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2009

We got a good deal off Hotwire for $40/night and ended up at this hotel. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express right downtown, so this hotel was a big step down from that. It was on the edge of town, which was not convenient at all as we had to drive to get anywhere. The room itself was dark and very small - we ended up with one of the rooms with no kitchenette. My bedroom at home is bigger than the room we got. It was fairly clean, though the room had a funny smell to it, perhaps some sort of cleaner they used? The bed was not super comfortable, but we managed to get some sleep. The doors and walls are paper thin however, and out of our 3 night stay, 2 nights we were woken up at 12:30am and 1am by slamming doors, and people talking in the hallway.

Housekeeping was minimal. Our bed was made...and that's about it. Our towels were never changed, nor were they even straightened up or refolded. I went out and bought my own shampoo because the bottle they had in the bathroom was dirty. We also didn't receive any new soap our second night. Little annoyances that separates cheaper hotels from nicer ones. We probably wouldn't stay here again, but it would be a good place for people on a tight budget who don't mind a no frills motel. They do include breakfast, which makes it an even better value. The free internet was super slow though, it was quicker to use their computer.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hilobb
sutherlinmicrotel, Owner at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 4 June 2010
Thank you for mentioning that our hotel is a reasonable value. Clearly, though, there are things you experienced that we can and will improve upon.
1) I am sorry the bed was not comfortable enough. We actually work very hard to make sure are beds are far more comfortable than other budget hotels. It may be that the bed you slept in needed a new mattress topper, which adds a plush layer of cushion. We have purchased new toppers since your stay and have replace older ones.
2) I am also sorry the housekeeping did not meet your expectations. We service every occupied or dirty room every day. Sometimes, however, there is a misunderstanding about our green policy and privacy policy. For example, if towels are on the floor we will replace them, if they are on the rack that is your indication to us that you intend to re-use them. Also, to respect your personal belongings if they are on the bed we will not move them to make your bed. We now are leaving cards in the rooms to communicate to guests that we serviced the room and to let guests know how to get additional service. We also, though, have been inconsistent in the past with the quality of our housekeeping and we have new people and procedures in place to improve on that. Our guest score cards since your stay indicate guests now give us an "A" grade for our housekeeping.