“Perfect for quick overnight stay”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
El Cajon, California
“Perfect for quick overnight stay”
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We rolled into Seaside around 9 p.m. Drove past this Microtel into downtown to find a place to stay. Lots of choices, but decided since we just needed a place to sleep and shower we chose the Microtel. We had never stayed in this brand of motel before. We were pleasantly surprised! We were greeted by a family of racoons, some of which were in the outdoor trash can! The front desk staff person seemed a little bored and didn't go out of his way to be friendly or helpful. We had a room on the second floor near the elevator. The room was tiny, but we only needed a bed and shower. It was decorated in a pleasing way and was very comfortable, but small. The heater was a little hard to regulate to turn it down, it blew cold air. We ended up just shutting it off! The shower head was great with lots of options and a curved shower curtain rod. Some of the towels were a little on the thin side, but the others were in good shape. We didn't use the breakfast room but then had waffles and a few other selections.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelinCAfam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
SEQUIM
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We reserved the room for three nights on the Microtel website. Our first room, the bed wasn't made, there was trash in the trash cans, bottles on the floor, etc. They apologized and gave us another room. This room was OK, but with debris on the floor next to the walls. On the second day, we couldn't get into our room and had to have the card keys reprogrammed. It appears that this facility was recently renovated, but there were large water stains on the roof above the tub. Room layout is very poor for more than one person to relax. Had to ask for soaps and dringing cups on the second and third days of our stay. Continental breakfast was minimal and to quote my wife, "it was the worst coffee she ever had in her life". We paid $69.99 per night which is way too much. The Motel 6 is just next door and we wondered what it was like at a considerably less expensive price. This was only our second stay at a Microtel and we doubt we will stay in another one anytime soon.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
sutherlinmicrotel, Owner at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 6 October 2010
I am sorry about the mistakes you experienced in which you were first checked into a room that was not ready and that your card key had to be reprogrammed. Those mistakes should not happen and we will work harder to make sure they don't. It does sound like you may have been more comfortable in one of our suites that includes a sitting area and kitchenette. Those rooms do have a higher rate, however, than the single you stayed in. At Microtel we try to be excellent at offering what most of our guests care about - comfort and quality at a reasonable rate. There are other more expensive options in Seaside that offer full breakfast, larger rooms, etc., and lower cost options that do not offer the comfort and quality we provide. We always encourage shopping around to make sure you know what you are getting and feel it is a good value.

Travellers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I stayed here last week after driving for 6 hours down the WA coast. The room was overpriced for the amenities. The sheets had coffee spilled down the side, the bed was hard, the flourescent lighting was horrible and the tv was so high up on a shelf that I had to stack up 3 pillows to sit up enough to watch it without straining my neck. After driving for such a long time I just wanted to get a good nights sleep...not possible as I was checked into a room directly across from the ice machine so was woken up off and on by the loud clanking of the machine making new ice and by people coming to fill up their bucket.
I wouldn't stay here again...you can probably stay closer to Astoria for the same price and in a better place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
sutherlinmicrotel, Owner at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 24 September 2010
I am sorry you did not get the good night of sleep you hoped for. That is unusual for us as we usually get very high marks from our guests in both comfort and cleanliness. If a guest does let us know about an issue we address it immediately to the best of our ability. We would be happy to relocate a guest to another room if necessary so the guest can be more comfortable. I'm also sorry you did not like the placement of the TV. All of our rooms are designed to Microtel standards, which just won the J.D. Power & Associates award for overall guest satisfaction for an unprecedented 9th year in a row. Some people do prefer different amenities than Microtel offers so I do encourage looking at other options. I'm confident, though, we offer the greatest value in terms of comfort and quality at reasonable rates on the north Oregon coast.
Oakdale,CA
Reviewed 27 August 2010

This was our first stay with a Microtel hotel , and a few of the reviews about the rooms being tiny worried us a bit, but when we got there, we had a fast check in and by accident I booked a "access" room , which is a bit roomier to allow for wheelchair navigation, I offered to switch to a regular room to allow the room to be used by someone needing it but was told that these are the last rooms they rent so we could keep it, the room was clean, larger than expected, wyfi worked great although be aware as you log into it you will see you are exposed to many other computers, so use all security. did not find the room loud at all, breakfast was your normal full style fair so is a nice option, not just a bagel or roll, but a full deal, The facility is a bit far to end of town so plan on driving up to mall/boardwalk area, unless you like a nice walk..............over all we were fine and would stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
South Florida
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I usually book 4-5 star hotels but this trip I wanted comfortable economy and found it at this Microtel.

Traveling solo I didn't need lots of room for my 5 night stay. My single queen room was really small but absolutely adequate for just me. It was well laid out, wireless in-room internet, clean and had a decent bed. For those too cheap to own a laptop, there's internet access at a terminal in the lobby. A/C and heat (I needed both) worked great and the windows actually open for fresh air!
The continental breakfast is pretty basic and low end but the waffles were OK. As others have already noted, there aren't enough chairs and tables in the dining area.
Staff was helpful if a bit provincial overly and casual.

Location was great for me, located on the main road, allowing fast access to get where I had to go every day. However, it's not in the scenic part of town or near the beach and other attractions. It's not even withing walking distance of the cool stuff but it's just a 5 minute drive away.

So, why stay here if there are so many places closer to the beach and cute little downtown area? PRICE! In high season and on the busiest of times I paid $90/night when everyone else wanted an awful lot more. This was really cheap for decent lodging at peak season. If you can afford a nicer place on the beach do it but if you need to save your dollars and want a perfectly serviceable, reasonable modern facility, stay here.

I booked 3 nights but the stay was so pleasant I extended 2 additional nights. Don't think I'd bring a date here but its a fantastic choice for a budget traveler. One downside to that is that you get a lot of budget travelers here......... people who roll out of bed and trudge down to the continental breakfast in bare feet and without washing up. These are probably the same people nitpicking this hotel in some prior reviews. NOTE TO WHINERS: If you're a super-fussy traveler, wtf are you doing at a Microtel??? Save the complaints for the many hotels that are charging twice what the local Microtel charges

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Dive4Blood
Clinton, Utah
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I was a little nervous about our reservation here after reading some of the reviews. I was pleasantly surprised by our experience here. The staff was very friendly. The rooms were clean and up to date. You can get free passes to the community pool in the evenings from the hotel. It is a nice pool. The breakfast was your usual bagels, waffles, and juice. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mgturtle
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend, July 30-August 1 2010. Our room rate was $119.95 for a budget hotel. Save your money...you're better off staying at the Motel 6 next door. The room was incredibly average. Ours was a "suite," which basically meant an island with microwave, mini-fridge and sink in the middle of the room. The "sofa" in the sitting area was basically a loveseat that felt like cheap vinyl fabric. Everything else is what you'd expect from staying at a place like La Quinta or Budget Inn. The walls were thin and we had to complain about the incredibly loud people in the room next to us the second night, indicating if they couldn't get them to quiet down we'd need to switch rooms, as my husband was ill and trying to rest. I was told there were no other rooms. The noise finally quieted down when we said something directly to the guests themselves. The "continental breakfast" was nothing more than cereal with milk, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, teeny packages of apple slices, a waffle machine and beverages. We actually opted to purchase our breakfast the second day...we would've rather paid for it than consume what they were offering "for free."

The biggest problem I had with this hotel was their customer service. Upon check-in, we gave a credit card different than what was used to book the reservation online for the pre-authorization and room charge. We were told by the clerk that nothing had been charged to the card used for holding the reservation and that the new card would be used for everything. Upon returning home, it was found that they had placed a hold on the original card for the entire hotel charge, and had also charged my husband's card for the stay itself. I contacted the hotel to explain that we had specifically given an alternate card so this wouldn't occur, and finally had to demand the clerk contact the hotel manager. She did so and came back and told me there was nothing she could do. I insisted on contacting the hotel manager, but was told she couldn't give me the number. I told her I'd wait on hold with her while she contacted him and had him contact me - at this point there was no trust that they'd do what they said and I've heard that whole "we'll have someone call you back" spiel before. After 15 minutes, the manager did contact me. I went round and round with him that this was unacceptable, I'd specifically arranged for this not to happen, and that they needed to contact Merchant Services to have the hold removed. I was told "my employee who knows how to do that comes on shift at 11pm tonight." Seriously? You have one employee who knows how to dial out the phone? It's a matter of calling a 1-800 number, giving them your merchant ID, and asking them to release the hold. I asked for the name of the hotel employee to call back after 11pm to ensure this happened. The manager, Greg, refused, saying "you've already taken up enough of my employee's time." Wow Greg, did I INCONVENIENCE you and your staff? Gee...my fault. Apparently your hotel greatly inconveniencing me is irrelevant.

Of course, here it is the next morning and Surprise! the money is still being withheld from my account.

This is the poorest customer service I've ever experienced. In the end I was basically told "we'll take care of it" and of course that didn't happen. Greg asked me what he could do, and I explained about contacting Merchant Services and suggested he comp part of our stay for all the trouble, and he refused to do both. I'll never stay at this hotel again, and will tell anyone I know in the Portland area to do the same.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cld76
sutherlinmicrotel, Owner at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 9 August 2010
I personally interacted with this guest and can assure you we gave her a great deal of attention and did everything we reasonably could to help her. I am sorry to say that in spite of our efforts to help her she still felt it was not enough. After checking in to our hotel and then changing the card she wanted to use to pay for the room, it took 24 hours for her bank to release the hold on the funds from the original card she checked in with. We were happy to go to the extra efforts of manually checking that our overnight processes properly charged the card she desired and even expediting the release by faxing a written statement to her bank that we saw no reason for them to hold her funds.