“Loved the Lanai at the Cove!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lanai at the Cove

Lanai at the Cove
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Seaside
USA
“Loved the Lanai at the Cove!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed here July 20-23, 2014 and had a fabulous time. The room is equipped with a small kitchenette and our had a balcony overlooking the beach. We were able to watch and listen to the ocean which was fabulous. The pool was wonderful, especially for our two children. It's heated and we spent quite a bit of time in it. I think it's a great location and will happily return.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach view!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gmanager206, General Manager at Lanai at the Cove, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Hello!
Thank you for your kind review of The Lanai. We're glad you enjoyed
your stay and the kids had fun in the pool. We'll look forward to your
return!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Claremore, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here 5 years in a row. Keep coming back because the view, the quiet location, immediate access to the waves rolling on to the wide beach. Can lay in bed and see and hear the wonderful ocean waves. Having access to a small kitchen is also a real plus. Love this place! Stayed in room 33 for 3nights, 3/17/14.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. We
are so honored to have you back for 5 years in a row. Thanks for being
part of The Lanai family and we'll look forward to serving you again.
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

The room was very nice, and the location was remote and quiet. Overall a wonderful place to stay. My wife and I stayed in room 27 for our 1 year anniversary. The room above us was noisy. Service was hard to reach at times. And ultimately for the price that I paid, there was nothing amazing about the room. But then again, some of the prices at the competing Seaside hotels was outrageous so perhaps I should be content with the dollar per value that the Lanai offers.

However,

Some things to know
- The sand beach is a 5 minute walk away. The immediate beach is very rocky. But the walk is well worth it, because there are some fun tide pools where the rock meets the sand. Keep in mind the tide times, because at high tide, there is very little sand to roam about, whereas at low tide, there is an array of sand. Nothing overly inconvenient, but something to be aware of.
- Closest restaurant is a 20 minute walk (or few minute drive), whereas the touristy/busy area of Seaside is a 5 minute drive away. If you like the remoteness away from town noises, then this is the place. But if you prefer the convenience of restaurants and shops, then you might consider somewhere else. Personally, I preferred the remoteness with the option to drive into the heart of town occasionally.
- Average service. Getting a hold of this hotel via phone was difficult. In a 2 night stay, the reception office was closed for '15 minute' breaks three different times. But they were friendly when they were around.
- Very noisy. Do NOT get a ground room. Sure, it was nice to just walk outside of our room onto the rocky beach. However, the noise above us in the evenings and early mornings when we were trying to sleep was incredibly loud. I'd highly recommend getting a room at the highest level. It nearly ruined the stay for us.

I had fun, but considering I live only an hour away from the beach, I think day trips will be more frequent then staying overnight in Seaside. I've also stayed in the Shilo Inn previously, which is far more expensive, and nothing special either. From my experience, these Seaside hotels do not meet the luxury standards that their prices indicate. I'll have to come up with a better local escape for my next anniversary. I love the beach, but its hotels, not as much.

However, if you do stay in Seaside, Ultimately, I'd still recommend the Lanai. If you can get around the noise issue, and enjoy the relaxing isolation, then this is probably a good fit for you.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top level to avoid noises above.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank J B
Hello JB,
Thanks for your critique on what we are doing well and what we can improve
on. Our intention is constant improvement so we appreciate your thoughts
and are happy that in the end you would recommend us. Thanks for staying
at the Lanai.
Tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I spent two nights here during a road trip round the area with my teenage daughter. We are from overseas and this was our first time in Oregon. A friend recommended Seaside as a fun destination and Lanai at the Cove was a superb base for our stay. We had a third floor beach-view room and we left our balcony door open, and went to sleep and woke up to the sounds of the waves. The small but well-equipped kitchen area and table were appreciated, saving us money for breakfasts and drinks, and the hosts were super-friendly. We enjoyed the heated pool, too.

We arrived during a heatwave in Portland, which brought cooler than usual temperatures and fog to the coastal areas, so it wasn't as warm as we expected and we had to cancel the outdoor adventure activity we had planned. However, the wonderful accommodation helped to make up for this disappointment.

The only negative thing I have to say is that the walls between the rooms are not that thick, and we could hear a lot of noise from the family next door early on our first morning. Luckily, our neighbours the next morning were more considerate. If you're a light sleeper, I'd bring earplugs.

Room Tip: Third floor, beach view is worth it for the superb ocean views and would be less noisy than lower fl...
Hello Louichan,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you had a nice stay in Seaside with
your daughter. Our biggest challenge has been trying to soundproof an old
beach hotel so we do have earplugs available for light sleepers and are
trying to solve the sound issue. We really appreciate your thoughts and
your business. Domo arigato!
Leonard, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

During a week-long trip to Oregon we wanted to experience the ocean for a few days. We needed 3 rooms and Lanai at the Cove was perfect for us! It is right on the ocean with a beautiful view. We had rooms 43, 45, and 47 but I think most are fairly similar with balconies and views. We were traveling with grandkids (ages 3,5,7) and adults and there was something for everyone. The beach at the Lanai is very rocky so you need to walk just a little way to get to a sandy beach but it is very close. While we were there, people were digging razor clams at low tide in the mornings and searching for crabs. We bought some inexpensive toy shovels in town and the grandkids were ecstatic when they found 2 razor clams and 2 crabs! While the hotel is not new, it has all of the amenities one would want. The hosts were very kind and helpful and provided us with coupons to use in town and advice on things to do. We especially appreciated having facilities to make our own breakfast or meals as needed. You can't beat Lanai on the Cove for value and providing a great family getaway on the ocean!

Room Tip: They have rooms for pets and no pets so make sure you let them know what you desire. Many of the ro...
Hello Mary,
We're glad you had a nice stay with your family at The Lanai and found us
to be a great value. That is so cool you scored some fresh seafood! We aim
to make family memories that last a lifetime. We very happy you found us
and hope to see you again.
Woodside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I just returned from a lovely time at this motel situated on the far south end of Seaside as it curves around toward the gorgeous Tillamook Head. From my charmingly decorated room on the ground floor I could see the waves rolling in at high and low tide. Even brown pelicans diving for fish right outside my patio door. Barb and Cory were most hospitable and accommodating. They have the rooms cleaned spotlessly. My room was "pet-friendly" and there we no pet smells or stains whatsoever. Lovely flowers bloom on the patio and from hanging baskets. The kitchenette was well-appointed with everything I needed. I swam in the small pool kept at 85 degrees, when the air was a cool 65. Very refreshing mini-vacation. I will return for sure. Absolutely for sure.

Room Tip: Ground floor and first level can be accessed without carrying luggage upstairs, though I have heard...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Hello Poppy,
Thanks for sharing your experience and we're glad you had a nice stay.
We're pleased you got to witness the pelicans. We'll look forward to see
you again. We really appreciate your business.
Oregon City, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I am always looking for a CLEAN place to take my dog with me. The Lanai is very clean and also affordable and a great view of the ocean. I am planning on coming back soon! I like having a refrigerator and a microwave and a full view!

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view of the ocean except some are pool side. Be sure and clarify.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gmanager206, General Manager at Lanai at the Cove, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Hi Kathie,
We are glad you were pleased with the cleanliness of your room and the
"full view". Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and we'll
look forward to your return!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
BEST WESTERN Ocean View Resort
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,491 reviews
Hi-Tide Oceanfront Inn
Hi-Tide Oceanfront Inn
#5 of 26 in Seaside

Been to Lanai at the Cove? Share your experiences!