“Cold, Cold, Cold Pool”

Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
San Francisco, California
“Cold, Cold, Cold Pool”
Reviewed 31 July 2008

The price of hotel was fair and the hotel design is ok. The main reason I booked this hotel because it had a indoor pool. I was very excited about this trip. We went to the pool around 9pm first night and it was cold and my poor infant had running nose. We were shaking. The next morning, we went to the pool again at 8am, OMG, the water was very, very, very cold (worse than yesterday ) that I could not even get in the pool water and my baby would just cried. Last night, the pool water was cold but we managed to stay in the pool for a little and my baby was "sort of" ok with it. I could not believe how cold the pool water was in the morning, we could not enjoy the pool at all this time, so very cold! We just had to leave the pool without enjoy it for one more time. The weather was nice when we were there. I wonder if Holiday Day Inn has regulation for pool water temperature???

• Liked — close to the Seaside downtown
  • Disliked — cold water pool
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank tarataraboo85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
oregon
Reviewed 6 June 2008

We drove to Seaside and and checked out a few different hotels. This one was the best price and location for the money. I am very picky about where I stay after having a couple bad experiences with dirty hotels needing upgrades and putting deceptive pictures online. I have to say, the staff was helpful and nice. We had an easy check in and out. The rooms were very nice, clean and comfortable. The pool was fun and the place was very quiet. I will definitely come back here to stay again. Continental breakfast was nice with two small kids too!

• Liked — can't chose one. it was a perfect place for us.
  • Disliked — that we had to leave
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
Portland
Reviewed 6 February 2008

Had a great stay. Were there for "girls weekend" and attend "Seaside Sisters" event at Convention center. It was within waslking distance of everything we wanted to do.
The staff was great, My cell phone had lost it's charge and not only did they have a charger but when I checked out and return it they told me to keep it. I liked the business center, I work nights so sometimes my sleep schedule is kind of "goofy", I was having trouble sleeping so I got up and went to the "Biz Center" used computer to check e-mails and do a little work on the computer.
My friend was very impressed with property & the breakfast. I think I have gotten you new guest from the experiance she had.

• Liked — close to everthing!!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank phjeanie
Colorado
Reviewed 2 November 2007

This hotel has nice rooms and tasteful decor. It is a about 5 blocks to the beach, but the walk takes you through the shops downtown, so it is enjoyable.

The hotel is also next to a river, and our room had a balcony that looked over the river. Also the continental breakfast had a lot of variety and was quite filling.

Overall this place was nice and seemed to be quite a bit less expensive than the other hotels I looked at closer to the beach. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Price, rooms, breakfast
  • Disliked — Distance to beach
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank jk2007
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 24 October 2007

By booking late, we ended up with a good deal on an executive suite right next to the lobby. The young ladies at the registration desk were very efficient and friendly, the wireless internet worked well and there was an adequate number of outlets in the room. We took an evening stoll on the Malecon - a short distance from the hotel - which was busy but not too crowded. Then between the hotel and the beach, we found a great seafood restaurant called Norma's Ocean Diner. The service was good, the food excellent and our room key got us a bit of a discount.

In the not too distant future, we will definitely go back and spend more time in Seaside to explore the little boutiques, check out the aquarium and the beach, and try more of the seafood restaurants in town.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LWL
Seattle
Reviewed 18 October 2007

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Seaside on business for two nights in September. After reading the reviews for this property, I was a bit concerned, but my stay turned out very well. My colleagues and I all checked in after 6pm, and none of us experienced a wait for a room. Check-in was friendly and efficient. I will agree with several reviewers about the "House Rules" slip that all guests MUST read and initial at check-in. I have worked and stayed in many, many hotels in my career, and this is without question the first time I have eve seen such a thing. The clerk makes you initial the slip before they complete the check-in process and hand you a key card, so you really have no choice. Not that I really have a problem with anything that was on this slip, but pherhaps the hotel's management should re-work this piece to make it more of a "positive" rather than "negative" for their guests. Seems like a cold, "you will do this or else...!" type of thing that may give an arriving guest a less-than-friendly first impression. My opinion, that's all.
On to the room. I'm Priority Club Gold, so they were able to upgrade me to a nice King bedded room on the 4th floor. The room was clean and clean-smelling upon arrival. Also quite large, with a separate front room that had it's own TV and sofa. The view from my room was of the river behind the hotel. This is indeed an actual river - not a "stream" or "creek" as mentioned elsewhere. Maybe not the Mighty Mississippi. but an actual river nonetheless. I found the channel selection on the TV to be sufficient, and noted that the network channels were all "local" (from Portland). I saw Letterman at his normal time... Pherhaps the TV channel lineup has been changed. I enjoyed the complimentary breakfast each morning. There were several selections, including coffee, tea and hot cocoa to drink, as well as a good assortment of items to eat, comparable to similar offerings at similar properties. The breakfast room was kept stocked and clean, at least on the two mornings that I was there.
The hotel is in a good location - just a minute or two walk to a good selection of restaurants and shopping. Maybe 5 minutes at the most down to the beach. I really can't think of anything that wasn't up to standard for me, except that pesky "House Rules" slip - I can see how it might turn-off some folks, making a bad fist impression that is then hard overcome. I would definitely stay at this property again when visiting Seaside.

• Liked — Newer, clean, comfortable and a great location
  • Disliked — The
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank FamilyGuySeattle
Troutdale, Oregon
Reviewed 17 September 2007

We just returned from a night at the Holiday Inn Express in Seaside, Oregon. We found this hotel to be clean, comfortable and better than we expected from some of the reviews on this website.

Our room had a king bed, a small loveseat, table chairs and a view of the "mountains." The mountains were beyond the parking lot.

I did ask for a courtesy upgrade and was told by a very friendly front desk person that it was not possible while using points to stay and even so they were booked for the night. The parking lot was full, so I believe him.

The location of the property was great, just a block off Broadway.

This hotel was a bit noisy -- the usual doors opening and closing, talking in the hallways, and we did hear a man sneezing in the room next to us. We didn't think the walls were that thin!

All in all this was a good hotel and I would recommend it for a short stay in Seaside.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple