“Beautiful hotel, but needs improvement.”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Seaside-Convention Center
Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed 13 July 2009

SOME POSITIVES:
The exterior and interior of this hotel look new and attractive -- typical of most Holiday Inn Express facilities I've been to. Rooms are clean. We stayed in a suite (basically just two hotel rooms with an adjoining door) which included a small fridge and coffee maker -- nice touch.

The hotel is about 3-4 blocks from the ocean, so you won't see the surf and will have to walk a bit. The price was right, so it didn't matter to us.

SOME NEGATIVES:
Was disappointed with this one for several reasons. Normally, I'd let any of these things slide, but when added together, it was a let down.

There's only one luggage cart for the entire hotel, which meant that it wasn't available when needed. Because we were traveling with six people, we had a ton of stuff to lug. Half our group were kids who weren't able to help carry things.

The pool temperature was great. Hot tub temp was fine, but the jets in it didn't work. The bathroom at the pool was littered with soggy toilet paper for two days and still wasn't clean when we checked out. Gross.

The weight machine in the exercise room had a severed cable, so it didn't work. I look forward to working out while on vacation, so that was a bummer. There was a water cooler in the room, but the jug was empty. Mirrors were dirty.

The first floor hallway had a nasty smell as if it was musty/moldy.

This last comment is not particular to this hotel, but in general Holiday Inn Express hotels have nasty coffee. Plan to bring your own to brew in your room.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 June 2009

Chose this hotel due to great rates I found while comparing to other area hotels - I'd stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses in the past and found them very nice properties. This hotel in particular is right on the river, and our room overlooked this river and the accompanying boardwalk. It is approximately 1.5 blocks from Broadway St (the 'main drag' of shops/restaurants/etc) and about 6 (?) blocks from the ocean .. great location!! The breakfast was so-so .. characteristic Holiday Inn warm cinnamon rolls are good.. had cereal, yogurt.. bread/bagels/etc; but no fruit and not-so-good coffee :(

Nice hot tub.. HOT hot tub.. and pool area quite nice. Sauna present but wasn't on while we were visiting.

The staff was very helpful, allowing us an hour late checkout even on a busy Friday morning.. would definitely return if in the area. Also, cajun/creole restaurant across the parking lot has great food, live music, and offers a 10% discount if you show your hotel room card.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pharmernicole
Reviewed 22 May 2009

A new chain hotel's opened up your options on the Oregon Coast. We stayed at the beautiful new Holiday Inn Express about three blocks from the beach in Saside and were thrilled to discover it also has new sisters in Astoria and Newport. Nice lobby, terrific FREE hot breakfast, and the largest rooms we've encountered anywhere in the world lately. Bathrooms have the toilets placed right in front of the door, but that's about the only fault. All rooms have microwave and fridge to add to the convenience, and our balcony room overlooked the river. What a treat! (And the senior price was less than much older, staid lodgings around.) A definite thumbs-up to Holiday Inn Express for constantly improving its brand!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingGrandmaToo
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We have stayed here many times and we love it! Last time we got a King Suite and it was awesome! There was a huge jacuzzi tub in the bathroom with shutters that open to the living room. The kids loved it! They slept on the sofa bed and watched a movie while my husband and I got enjoyed some privacy in the king bedroom;) The continental breakfast is great, but I suggest going down early if you can. It is not on the beach, but it is right next to the main strip in Seaside, and is in walking distance of the arcade, candy shops, restaurants, and the beach. The only complaint I've ever had here was that the swimming pool is too cold; I'd rather spend my time in the hot tub, but I have to go in the pool when my kids are swimming and it's cold. Other than that, this place is great and we always have a good time when we go.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank yahooliganz
Reviewed 22 September 2008

We stayed here for two nights recently and had a very good experience. The room was clean and comfortable and the hotel is well located, close to a main tourist street, lots of restaurants and the beach. Breakfast was fine. We didn't use any of the other facilities. The Front Desk people were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 18 September 2008

I checked in this hotel and the desk clerk took 10 min to find my reservations after she relized that it was in the system i got my room keys went to my room and did not have a room with a balcony like i booked i called the desk to inform her about it and to complian about the smoke smell stayed in 421 in used to be a smoking room. The desk clerk told me she had no other rooms at the time i found out that was a lie when my friend called from her cell to get a room and sure enough there was a room avab with a balcony didnt want to create a fuss over the issue to i simply gave up later that night i asked for a late c/o she told me to ask in the morning i did and i didnt get it even tho i am a priority member and the perk to the membership is gtd 2pm late c/o when checking out chris the gm ignored me and had to wait 5 min for him to finish a conversation with a housekeeper and a lady came to the desk to ask for a late c/o he gave her one and when she said thank you he said and i qoute " dont worrk we take care of pretty things like you". Thats really professional, Last but not least before checking out i went to the car and when i got close to my room i see a housekeeper almost letting someone in my room and i didnt know that person at all he made a mistake in what room he was in. And if the housekeeper was was trained well she would of known to call the desk before you ever ever let someone in and check id. To me this hotel is lacking a sense managment. You can clearly see how you can be treated at the hix in seaside read the managment response on all the bad reviews has a excuse for everything. Chris try something for onc say sorry and take in the account guests pay money to stay the expect great service and when we are unhappy just say sorry. Maybe your scores will go up.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sactown23
Reviewed 15 August 2008

We stayed one night recently in two adjoining rooms; each had one kingsize bed with only one door to the hallway, making it less expensive than two separate rooms. Our rooms had balconies over the river (but it was too cold outside to sit on them). The rooms were clean, quiet and spacious, and the beds were comfortable. We did not spend much time in Seaside since I was mainly interested in touring Cannon Beach (a 15-minute drive away) and seeing Ecola State Park. I felt that we got more room for the money than staying in Cannon Beach.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family