“Miserable experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seaside
Seaside International Hostel
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed in the men's bunkroom in summer - no lockers for valuables, musty w poor ventilation, low ceiling, crammed with bunks. Unlike the adjacent motel-style 'wing' with the private rooms, the bunkroom is in what appears to be a converted residence with low ceilings, narrow hallways, thin doors and no sound insulation. The one-person bathroom is adjacent to the bunkroom, and every cough and gurgle is clearly audible thru the wall.

The second worst bed I've ever tried to sleep on - mattress sort of OK around the edges but badly broken down in the center, the pillow a sack of lumps, scratchy blanket so small there was no extra to tuck under, so ended up on the floor. Bunkroom lights were out by 11pm, but everyone pitched around literally for hours, wooden bunk frames creaking loudly, trying to find non-lumpy positions on the mattresses. One person went to sleep around 2am, the room finally began to cool off around 2.30am, and I dropped off a little after that. Windows had no drapes, was awakened by sunlight at 6.30am, sore and un-rested.

Staff was very helpful and efficient, wifi reliable. The hostel is on a very quiet street, faces a nice canal on the back side, has a commercial-style kitchen, washer/dryer, a couple larger common rooms, but was a bit run down generally.

As a resort town, Seaside is small, mediocre and overpriced, as was the hostel compared to others I've tried around the US - charging the same for a bunk as the HI in Chicago IL.

Room Tip: A different street address, perhaps...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 April 2013

A group of us stayed there and had one issue after another. They got our reservation wrong, and one of my friends had to sleep on a pull out cot. It was incredibly uncomfortable. The lady at the front was so rude to all of us.
The room smelled like urine and we could quite figure out where the smell was coming from. The whole experience was just gross and disappointing. I have stayed in numerous International Hostels before this one was way below standard.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JulietteS127
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My boyfriend and I did the coast on budget and really enjoyed the experience we had at Seaside International Hostel! We had a private room and used the community kitchen to make our meals! Perfect for if your on budget and if your interested in meeting some interesting travelers!

Room Tip: Private rooms are clean and nice, you have your own bathroom!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We went during February which is obviously the off season, but the people were friendly and the place was clean, welcoming, and friendly! We were given great advice on all the good places to visit while we were in town.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Stayed in February and found the hostel warm and welcoming. Staff stayed past their shift on our arrival to show us around and make sure we were settled after a late night drive from Portland. There were pancakes for us in the morning (I think this is usual thing) and some incredible homemade cheesecake the next day (I think this is a special treat staff bake up from time to time). We stayed in the dorm - beds and bathroom were clean. The location itself is really nice - right on the water (an inlet) and a few minutes walk to the beach or shops. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2013

The first day I got here, I fell in love with this place. The lobby is very comfortable, and the expresso is delicious! The social room has a variety of musical instruments, books, magazines and board games. The kitchen is fully loaded and bio-friendly. Guests of the hostel get complimentary C.I.Y.(cook it yourself) eggs and pancakes every morning. Outside there is a campfire pit, barbeque grill and picnic area, an herb and vegatable garden, kayaks and the Necanicum River. The Pacific ocean is less than a half-mile away. Seaside International Hostel is different than any place I've been in my life. Magical and peaceful. A Vacationer's hide-away... A Traveler's haven. The proprieter, Trung, is an amazing and beautiful woman!
How to say Seaside International Hostel in One word: Paradise.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robolobabob
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I stayed in a private room at the hostel, so I can't tell you about the dorms. My room, however, worked for me and my girl. A bed, an ensuite bathroom and a parking space right out front. Trung was amazing. I couldn't arrive by 9pm so my room was left unlocked with a handwritten note waiting for me when I got there. I settled up the bill in the morning and was given the tour. Free coffee, make your own pancakes and eggs. The backyard is awesome and while not on the beach, it's close enough. The neighborhood is safe and everyone I talked to was awesome. This is somewhere I'll definitely come back to.

Room Tip: If you're downstairs you'll hear the stomping from upstairs, but it's not like it's...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple