Best Western Plus Ocean View Resort
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
1,848 results
All reviewsocean viewwall bedbest westernshotel restaurantoregon coastfront desk stafffirst floorking bedgreat roomget awayfree breakfasttop floorhot tubcannon beachoff seasonstaff was very friendlygas fireplace
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Our stay at this motel was the result of last minute changes to our plans. The property is clean and well maintained. It is right on the beach, very enjoyable views. It is located very central to activities downtown, within enjoyable walking distance of restaurants and shops. I can not say enough to praise this place. From the desk staff to the maids, all were willing and able to do whatever we needed to have a great stay. The balcony provided views of the beach without having to be concerned about others looking into the room. The rooms were quiet, if you closed the window you couldn't even hear the ocean. Definitely the best for the money on the Oregon Coast.

Room Tip: the upper levels rooms give a better view of the beach and sunsets.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Terrance B, Owner at Best Western Plus Ocean View Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Thank you for the terrific review and I am so glad that we had a small part in making your family vacation with the Grandkids a memorable event. We appreciate your loyalty and cherish the relationships we have developed with all of our guests.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We echo a previous reviewer's 2 star review on the sleeping quality at this establishment. If you are travelling with kids, this is a kids-friendly place. But if you are a retired couple who seek quiet getaway or a young couple who value privacy and want to have a romantic weekend retreat or holiday, this is one place you should avoid. My father, who is nearly 70 years old, and I have travelled to 40 plus countries in our lives and the attitude of staff here rank pretty much at the bottom of our list, particular that of one Rebecca Smith.

Initially we were given room 205, facing the laundry room, from which we could hear the dryers spinning even with our door closed. It's also the 2nd nearest room to the elevator hall way. Since we always request quiet rooms (and floors) for our stays in every property in our reservation details of booking page online, I immediately went downstairs to request a room change. Like the previous reviewer, as I finished explaining my concerns, I felt they were "waved off". She began by saying: "I never heard anyone complaining about laundry noise from your room. And there was no request for quiet room in your reservation. You are abrupt with me, so I am abrupt with you!" She then said the laundry room would close at 10pm, which implies we should wait until that time so that we could go to bed?! What she failed to mention is that the laundry room also opens at 6am. So our sleep is supposed to be dictated by the laundry opening hours, according to her logic. Particularly after spending over 12 hours on the road that very same day? (By the way, even if the laundry room is closed at 10pm, the machines are still working AFTER those hours as some guests started operating dryers late. Closed doors simply prevent guests from entering it; it doesn't stop the machines from operating that had been set in motion before closing time)

She indicated there was another room assigned to another guest that hasn't checked in and that we could have by saying:" I could have said no to your change of room", which my father and I took as "I'm doing you a big favour here even though I didn't have to." I felt hostility rather than hospitality at that point. Then I said: "If her room was pre-assigned before her arrival, then why ours wasn't? We made the reservation 3 days ago with specific request for quiet room/floor." Her retort was very infuriating :"You didn't call me 3 days ago!" To that I replied:"So anyone who wants a quiet room has to call YOU personally?" What I didn't say at the time was: "Who are you exactly on the management chain that every guest has to call YOU personally before their arrival so that s/he can have as simple a request fulfilled as getting a quiet room?" and "How were we supposed to get to know YOU specifically and personally before our arrival?"

I said we would take a look at the room and see if it's better located. We certainly did not want to end up staying in a noisier room. She expressed that we should either take it right there and then or leave it, i.e., staying in our original room. Again, we took what she said as a thinly veiled blackmail:"You either take it now or leave it. Don't waste my time. I have done enough for you." We felt rather offended by her remarks.

The upshot was we switched to the only room she gave us, Rm 210, which is only a few steps away from 205 and quieter (though not by much) but is situated right next to the stairway, which also generated lots of noise from guests' footsteps climbing up and down. We do not know if there was any other room that hasn't been checked in at the time that we could have changed to. We certainly did NOT think so. Before I could finish saying:"Why did my explaining to you the noise we could hear in our room seem as "abrupt" to you?", she picked up her walkie talkie, turned her head and spoke to someone on the other end, ignoring my presence altogether. The emphatic "Have a good day" by her ended anything I had yet to say (during the entire conversation we were given little pause to react to her remarks) was nothing more than "On your bike!" or "Can't wait to see your back" that was written all over her face.

Being a Diamond Elite did not earn us any brownies, not hospitality or even common courtesy from this hotelier. As my father said before he went to bed: This is typical American enterprise attitude, loutish.

Summary:
1. Noise (as other reviewers pointed out): Expect to hear lots door banging and slamming at this property; kids running around in hallway. You can hear people walking by even with door closed. The building is very old and has very poor sound-proof design. We awoke to the sound of people stepping into the hallway and door banging at 6am on a weekday. You can also hear water running through the pipes in the wall and toilet flushing noises from other rooms.

2. No air con in ANY of rooms! This issue has left many other reviewers to leave 1-2 star reviews here. Some 4-star reviews actually read like a 2 star reviews. There is a heating system but what puzzled us while they were installing the heating system earlier this year during revamp, why did they not add the cooling system at the same time? Can't imagine anyone falling asleep in the month of July (and early August) here without air-con.

3.Very small bathroom, as other reviewers pointed out. We surmise that the recent re-modeling of this property must have taken a chunk out of the original bathroom space into the kitchenette space of ocean view rooms.

4. The heat emitting from 4 light bulbs hanging from the mirror top in the bathroom is incredible. You could feel your face heating up as you brush your teeth in front of the mirror. Since the bathroom is very small already, the temperature soars very quickly and considerably within a very very short time. Best leave the door open if you want to take a shower or bath. Why not energy saving light bulbs? Less heat, less energy cost, same illumination tensity.

5. All full ocean view rooms are only 1 feet way from the pedestrian walk. So expect a lot of noise such as kids playing balls and chatter from the beach folks late into night during summer time. You can hear people walking by, simply. And staying at 1st or 2nd floor facing pedestrian walk at front and hearing guest going up and down upstairs just 6 feet outside your room door certainly won't ease you into a quiet night after a long day of road trip across the country. Expect lots kids running around in the hallway as well as in the pool and jacuzzi area, even into late hours (till pool closure time).

6. The room itself has very little walking space in it.

7. Internet connexion is off and on at times.

8. Sub-par standard of general Best Western establishments. No surprise there since it's only become a franchise earlier this year. On the front door, it reads: Independently owned and operated.

9. Breakfast NOT free. Restaurant is owned by 3rd party, independent of hotel.

10. Pool/Spa opening hours are 9am-10pm, shorter than other establishments (6/7am-11pm).

There are plenty of other independent hoteliers and REAL resorts (not this one) in the same area, to our surprise. With $200 per night, you can definitely do better by staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Beware no A/C in summer! If you don't mind no ocean view and value quality of sleep, pick side rooms. Check in early so you will have a chance for change of room, otherwise you are at the mercy of receptionist.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank globe1000trotter

I am very sorry that a staff person was not more cordial to you and I especially apologize for any lack of comfort. 25% of our rooms do have Air-Conditioning (which is generally not needed on the coast). Normally the hotel is much quieter than you experienced however it was a busy event week and weekend for us in Seaside. I know you spoke to our General Manager before you left and we intend to follow-up on this situation further. Thank you again for taking the time to tell us how you feel. We know we can do better.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Yes, it's literally right ON the beach! So if beach noise bothers you, stay further inland! Large, clean, relatively modern room (its a Best Western, not a Ritz Carlton) with full kitchenette, INCREDIBLY comfortable King Sized bed and LARGE, private balcony. Free, FAST internet and great breakfast buffet. We slept with the balcony door open and were lulled to sleep with the loud crashing waves. Yes, there's noise from kids playing on the beach during the day but we were on the 5th floor and it was fine. Affordable, clean, comfort with an unsurpassed view. By far the best hotel right ON the beach!

Room Tip: Upper floors are better. 1st floor opens right up to the boardwalk.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for the great review and positive comments. We are thrilled that we were able to delight you and your family on this trip.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I'm glad we only booked one night in this hotel as it was just a stop over point in our vacation. I had booked a non ocean view for that reason. I was anticipating that we would just be overlooking the parking lot but instead, our room was the size of a walk-in closet and the "window" looked out onto the corridor. This hotel is not for those who are seeking any kind of peace & quiet as it is definately catering to young families travelling with children.

1  Thank Carol F

I am sorry about the room type you selected. It is advertised as a small, economy, non-view room. We know that most guests prefer the larger ocean front rooms and we always offer them to guests (if available) at check-in as an upgrade to the economy room. Again, my apologies for your displeasure with this room type.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Our stay here in Seaside was very nice. We have stayed at the Best Western a few times a summer for the past 9 years. It is wonderful to see how the staff is still very friendly and the rooms get upgraded in a timely manner. Our stay this summer was wonderful and the view is one of the best!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the great review and we are thankful to have earned your trust and your business.