“Pleasant Surprise”
Review of Custer House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seaside
Custer House
Reviewed 9 August 2010

My daughter booked the Custer House for two nights for a dance contest my grandaughter was competing in. I admit I was concerned when I saw the other reviews but my daughter said it was $100.00 cheaper per night than anywhere else and it was within walking distance of where we needed to be. You have the choice of staying in the house where you get breakfast served or staying in a cabin where there is a small kitchenette. We stayed in a cabin. It was very clean and the owners were very friendly and helpful, telling us about the best places to eat and how to get around. This is a great place to stay if you are staying in Seaside. It has off-street parking and is within walking distance of the ocean and shops, about a 1 minute drive from outlet stores . The room we stayed in featured a fairly comfortable bed with a fold-out couch (not so comfortable but then, what fold out couch is?), small eating area, small kitchenette, and bathroom with shower. Although the facility is old, and you can certainly tell that, it's fairly well maintained. It's a great value for the price and the location just can't be beat unless you want to pay an extra $100-$200 a night to stay in one of the high rise hotels that sit right on the beach. Frankly, I was happy to save my money for other things. I will stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 August 2010

I am here for about 2 weeks in starting the second week in August, 2010 working an event, my employer found the room and booked it for the entire time. My room was in the middle of three cottages walking distance to the grocery store, beaches and all the general promenade activities. The room was brand new remodeled with a micro kitchen, and a cute gas fireplace saving me about $10 a day on expensive wood (no smores with it though, but that’s ok, I save those for the beach anyhow). The kitchen had a sufficient supply of plates, pots and such for a full in-room meal if you had the desire. The stand up shower was hot with plenty of room to move and was stocked with (this is a first for me) localy made organic soaps and shower gel. There was just me for this stay, but there is easily room for a family of 4 or 5, with a queen size bed, full dining room seating 4, large couch that’s also a hid-a-bed, and not the one with the bar that ruins you back, basicly it’s a fully furnished studio apt, it feels to be about 4 or 500 square feet.

So the reviews about smell or whatever, those issues if any have been fully resolved, I’m 100% satisfied with the Custer House and staff, and impressed with the cleanliness and free organic soaps for use during my stay

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We didn't expect too much, considering the price and location.But this was a sad little place-we stayed in the house,in the blue Nautical room and Rose Room. The owners were lovely and accomodating but clueless as to what actually constitutes a "bed and breakfast". The Nautical room beds were so hard that I actually slept on the extra pillows on top of the mattress the first night-my daughter(25) had the second hideaway bed,which was actually worse than mine! The bed linens were as worn out as the beds. We had prepaid for two rooms,so toughed it out for the 2nd night with my other family members. No sense of any pride in this place-dead flowers out front, definitely needs some TLC.Strong,musty odor in rooms needed windows to be kept open, although everything seemed clean. Had to keep asking for toilet paper. No water,tea or any extras in room. A bare bones place, centrally located. They have lovely bath products for sale-they should sell this place and concentrate on that part of their business.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank singlestep74
Reviewed 22 July 2007

I do not agree with the negative comments.posted by others. We stayed in one of the Cottages and found it to be wonderful. The owners were so accommadating for us. Very personable and friendly. I contacted them personally for our reservation and they answered all of my questions and even allowed me to bring my 2 nieces without additional charge. The cottages make you feel you are right at the beach, actually you are within 2 blocks of the beach and the main downtown area. It was very quiet at night, even with the 2 other cottages. Please do not believe the other comments. Go stay for yourselves and you will see it is a great place.The price was great compared to the hotels/motels. I live in Chicago, and it was great to spend 3 days playing in the sand and eating pronto pups.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank scottcathy
Reviewed 2 July 2007

I booked the room over 2 months in advance. The website calls it a turn of the century Queen Anne home, Romantic room with large private bath and clawfoot tub. Wholesome breakfast served at 9am. We arrive to find that the B&B is closed and we have to stay in a "cabin" which is really a tiny one room kitchenette with a stand up shower (kid size cereal box on table)
Then to top it off they refuse to take my coupon saying that they don't take them in the summer when the printout in my hand (from there website) clearly states it is accepted anytime. Then she says it's only good if you tell her when you make the reservation. This is stated nowhere on the coupon and when her husband told her they had to accept it, she refuse Unbelieveable. She said she was going to charge my credit card full price and we left. We will work it out with VISA.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank sunfairy3
Reviewed 13 July 2005

We stayed in one of the cottages, it smelled very odd and we had to keep a window open to air it out. Seemed clean but the smell made you wonder. Very close to down town Seaside with off street parking. Also didn't know that you didn't get breakfast when you stay in a cottage and had to go into town to eat. Make sure to ask when booking a room.

5  Thank Sarah B