“Lack of Professionalism”

Ranked #24 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
Hillsboro OR
“Lack of Professionalism”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Took my son to the beach for his 16th Birthday and was frustrated. The room was great, but lack of recognizing as we stood in line to check in for more than 1/2 an hour was irritating. When the girl finally got to us, she was quite curt. A special treat for my son was to be room service at breakfast. I asked for a menu at the front desk. I was directed to the restaurant, that was fine. I got the menu and told the staff what was it was for. I was not told until the next morning when we tried to order that they do not do room service in the morning when they have the buffet. Would have been nice to know. We went down to the buffet, which had no prices posted. After a buffet of mediocre choices and coffee, we received our bill of over $42! The only joy of the breakfast was the Chef making omelets which were very well done. The hotel was close to all the touristy things my son wanted to do, which was good. Normally, I would not have stayed that close to the crowds. When we checked out, again with an extensive wait of no acknowledgment for quite some time, I was asked how our stay was. I said there was a lack of communication, the man said "that seems to have happened a lot this weekend". To me, that would warrant maybe some sort of accommodation for the inconvenience. No, just the statement that it was a known problem. I was disappointed but my son had fun and that was all that mattered. I do not recommend the Saturday breakfast buffet. You get better food for a better price a block away at Pig n Pancake.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MsWendyAnna
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Mswendyanna,
Thank you for staying with us and posting your experience on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize first that you were not acknowledged by my front desk agents during the check-in & check-out process. Delivering great service is a goal we strive for with each guests and I apologize again for not reaching this goal with you. I will also have a discussion with our restaurant team about the importance of understanding our amenities that we offer our guests. I am happy to hear your son enjoyed his weekend, but wish you could have had a more enjoyable time also.
Jennifer English, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Snoqualmie, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

We wanted to stay on the beach & The Shillo Inn delivers. Pay a little more & get a beach-side room! They are Wonderful! What a view & people watching. The street side rooms I do not recommend. The Shilo does allow dogs, up to 2 for $25

• Stayed February 2014
Dear 2travel 8,
Thank you for staying with us and posting your experience on TripAdvisor. We love having the availability of bringing “all” of your family members with you on vacation and it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your view from your suite. We hope to see you again soon.
Jennifer English General Manager
Lakebay, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Surprised how nice the room was. A great price for ocean view double queen beds, granite counter top in kitchen and bathroom, fireplace and or room was ready early. Will be back. We brought out two small dogs and was worried the rooms may look like a doggie hotel. But everything was very clean and new.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jean S
neslolo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

The hotel has been there along time, but the location is very good, right there on the prom, ocean view the whole nine yards. If you want to be in the heart of it all, this is the place. However the age of the property is showing. We had a room with partial ocean view with a loft. The loft was a tiny space with 2 chairs, a end table and a lamp. When you sat in the chairs you could not see the ocean you could only see the roof of the hotel. I could hear kids and dogs making noise, so it wasn't really quiet. But I understand, and it did end before it got really late. I think there was a basketball tournament in town. They do give you a coupon for a complimentary drink in the bar that was nice. Room was very small, probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Neslolo,
Thank you for staying with us and posting your experience on TripAdvisor. We have been here for 30 years and many events have happened within our walls. Our lofts only offer partial views and would strongly suggest the next time you are in the area, to try one of our Ocean view rooms located on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floors. We hope to see you again and certainly appreciate your business.
Jennifer English, General Manager
Sonoma, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Dining room staff was inattentive and apparently newly hired for event weekend. No hostess or waitress for seating for buffet breakfast and food line so dark unable to tell muffin from a sausage patty. No one to take comp breakfast coupon. A young man unshaven and wearing a baseball cap knocked on door prior to 9AM and asked if we needed our garbage removed. He was holding a room key. Thought this suspicious and called front desk who told me they would check with housekeeping and call me back. Did not return call or explain. Found out later young man was there to clean room. Strange. On 5th floor and partial ocean view was overlooking roof top.
Was charged for two buffet breakfasts although we shared only one omelet, 2 coffees. In favor, room was quiet and very clean. But - will stay somewhere else next time. Personnel unfamiliar with location of convention center - 2 blocks away.

Room Tip: If arrival late at night please ask to have a look at room and have breakfast comps explained. Onli...
Dear Bebe31750,
Thank you for staying with us and posting your experience on TripAdvisor. I have notified our Restaurant General Manager about your experience in the Boardwalk and he will be conducting some retraining and reorganizing the buffet line. We are making sure to address the items you mentioned and will make necessary adjustments. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves during a future stay.
Thank you, Jennifer English, General Manager
Stevenson, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

The front desk was very helpful with our rooms, showed us different rooms and let us choose where we wanted to stay! Very friendly, i love our room and will definitely come back again! I recommend this place, very good price for downtown and right next to the beach (:

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Shanaynay086,
Thank you for staying with us and posting your experience on TripAdvisor. I have let our team know about your enjoyable experience with the room and our staff. We all look forward to your return to the Seaside area and visiting with us in the future.
Thank you, Jennifer English General Manager.
Seaside, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed at the Shilo Oceanfront for my birthday in early February. We were on the 5th floor and the view of the ocean was amazing. The room was spacious and very clean. When we first walked into the room, I found roses waiting for me on the counter, compliments of Karen, the Sales Manager. The dinner of Coco Prawns was incredible and cooked to perfection, along with a delectable Mango Chili sauce...not too hot and not too sweet.

Outside of our room was a wonderful view of Seaside. The furniture is clean and comfortable, and the room is set up very nice. Everything worked fine, although there is a lack of TV stations to watch.

Thank you to Karen in Sales, the front desk staff (who went above and beyond), and to Jennifer English, the Manager. This was a memorable stay and I would not hesitate to recommend this property to anyone.

Room Tip: Always ask for the 5th floor. The view is unbeatable!
1 Thank Gail R