“Very nice but....”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Silverton
Portland, Oregon
“Very nice but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Lovely comfortable beds, liked having a fireplace but had to keep window open during the night to keep the room cool enough. The free breakfast could be improved a bit.

Left my ipad charger in the room by accident. I called the moment I missed it and they had recovered it. I told guest services staff that I WOULD come get it - but it might be a few weeks due to the distance to drive. Today I called to double check before driving an hour to get it. Thank goodness! Of course it has gone missing. This means their staff cannot be trusted and that is unacceptable to me.
This was my 4th visit -- perhaps my last unless the management offers to reimburse me for the charger.

1 Thank KAKLEO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Helens, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

This is a great place to stay if wanting to hike Silver Falls or go to the Oktoberfest in Mt. Angel. We stayed here on our way to the coast and ended up not hiking because of the rain, but we still enjoyed viewing the gardens and we had the dinner get away, so for the price of the room, we also got dinner and breakfast, can't beat the deal! Really nice roomy rooms with fireplace, balcony, internet, micro, fridge, et. Outdoor pool/hot tub and massages we didn't get a chance to use. Wonderful and relaxing place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

Our entire experience was memorable. We were even impressed by the plantings in the parking lot. The room was very agreeable....not fancy, but just downright comfortable. The breakfast buffet was only OK but there were good views of the garden from the restaurant. Perks include free admission to the garden and reduced price when visiting the Gordon House, Frank Lloyd Wright's house on the property. Make sure to go to Silver Falls State Park when you stay here.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

Just for the record I'm not one for hyperbole, my family and I travel frequently and we are fairly picky and this resort is on my top five of all time list. I love staying places where you can park the car and not need it again until it's time to leave and this is definitely such a place! There are so many pluses to this resort that even if you took away one or two of the amenities I'd probably still give the place a five. We booked a packaged that included admission to the gardens (I think you always get admission to the garden though, even if you haven't booked a package) dinner for two and a bottle of wine and it was an incredible bargain.
The resort sits right next to an extensive botanical garden. I'm not a huge gardening guy but I love botanical gardens as a pleasant place to stroll and relax. This was one of the better ones I've seen. We were traveling with our two young daughters and at first they were skeptical but they ended up loving the gardens as well. Families takes note that the gardens have a large children's gardens that was really unique and cool. In it they had everything from a large toy train set up to a giant tunnel under a hill the kids could crawl through. We spent a couple of hours in the afternoon in the gardens and then another hour or so after dinner and we probably only saw half of what was on offer. A real perk of the resort is that your room key opens up a back door to the garden and you can walk around after closing hours. The restaurant is right next to this entrance so it's a great way to walk off dinner!
We really enjoyed dinner at the restaurant. Our package came with a bottle of house wine and I was picturing one choice but they actually had a good 4 wines to choose from, our server was fantastic and actually offered us samples of a couple different whites when we had trouble deciding what to order. The package was good for any entrees my wife and I wanted so we lived it up: I had the prime rib and she had the filet mignon. My wife is not big on red meat but she was talking about that steak for the rest of the evening and my prime rib was really good as well. Our kid's entrees weren't included in the package but at $5.00 each off the kid's menu I wasn't complaining (though the kid's food was pretty mediocre). We ordered a blueberry/strawberry crisp and a hot fudge sundae for dessert I though these were only so-so. Overall I was pretty impressed with dinner, and the setting overlooking the gardens is spectacular.
Our room itself was terrific. We had a decent sized room with two queen beds and it even had a fireplace. Our room had a good sized balcony (probably close to 100 sq. feet) with a table and chairs and views of the forest portion of the gardens along with distant mountains. Not all of the balcony's looked as large as ours and some are more open to passerby's but ours was perfect (room 215 in building H)
There were a few minor issues worth pointing out:
The pool area was really nice and they had some really comfortable loungers but the pool seemed unheated, it was hot when we were there so the water was just right but I imagine it would be unpleasant otherwise. The hot tub was not even close to being hot, and just barely warmer than the pool. They had no pool towels at the pool, I was able to get them from the front desk but it's a fairly long walk in your wet bathing suit.
I was surprised breakfast wasn't better consider our experience at dinner they had a pretty limited selection and my wife hated not being able to have a slice of toast or a bagel but I enjoyed their biscuits. The coffee was fantastic though.
I found the desk staff hit and miss. The woman who took my reservation over the phone was fantastic and very helpful and the woman who checked us in was nice too but I got pretty lacklustre service when checking out in the morning. I was dying to tell her how much I loved the hotel and was a little disappointed when she didn't ask me about my stay.
These are pretty minor grips though, overall we loved our stay.

Room Tip: Room 215 has a great balcony.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank BlackberryBoy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

We visited with a Travelzoo deal that was good for one night, dinner & breakfast in the restaurant, and a spa credit. A lot of great things about this place. Guests have after-hours access to the Oregon Garden (from sunrise to sunset) and it was a short and easy walk. Very pet-friendly - we were very pleased that we could bring our dog. The rooms were very pleasant and clean. We liked the vaulted ceilings, fireplace and little private patio. Beds were very comfy. The landscaping at the front of the rooms was gorgeous. It would be great if they extended the landscaping around the patios. The restaurant was OK for dinner - some good vegan entrees were offered (and I'm not even vegan). But the breakfast buffet was a big disappointment. Not nearly enough selection and not very fresh-tasting. The pool was very very cold and we were disappointed that we were not able to use it after check-out. My boyfriend got a massage at the spa and said that it was an excellent massage, but shorted on time by about 10 minutes. The spa staff, however, was very nice and helpful. The rest of the staff seemed a bit harried and overextended. There was not a lot of flexibility for requests like late check-out, perhaps due to the voucher we used. For us, though, the extra garden access was the super perk. It's amazing to be able to see the garden in the quieter hours.

Room Tip: rm 124 was at the end of a block and very nice.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Jvo621
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

This hotel was a real find. My mother-in-law lives in Salem, OR, so we visit once a year from the east coast. Usually we stay at the same business-type hotel in north Salem, right off the highway, which has never been bad. But it was sold out this year, as was almost everything else in Salem, so my search brought me to the Oregon Gardens Resort. I’ll say this about it: this is where we will stay every year! Very convenient to get to Salem – about a 15-20 minutes ride. The property is beautiful and the room has so much charm and personality, as well as being clean and comfortable! No more boring business hotels for us. Plus, the price was the same and we feel we got much more for here.
The rooms are housed in a cluster of small one-story buildings and are decorated in cheerful colors. The furniture is deliberately mis-matched, adding to the cottage feel. Extremely comfortable bed, bright and clean bath, refrigerator, and the fireplace was great! Private patio with table and chairs in each room. No wifi, but my Aircard worked great.
Free breakfast is included, which we tried once. Rather average offerings, but since we are vegan, we found little choice, and utilized the refrigerator and made our own breakfast which we enjoyed on the patio.

1 Thank Jvo621
Keizer, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

We booked this trip a few months ago and got a package deal: 1 night's stay, dinner for 2, breakfast for 2, bottle of wine, admission to the Oregon Garden, and $100 credit at the spa. We used this package to celebrate our 2-year anniversary.

The Oregon Garden was nice. It is a work in progress. It's not the Butchart Gardens or any place like that, but it is a nice place to walk around and see Oregon's greenery. It's only a few years old, and there is a lot more to do. Don't be expecting something that will knock your socks off. The tram ride through the park was a highlight for us. Honestly, I would have enjoyed the gardens a lot more if not for allergies. But that is not the fault of the gardens. I do recommend visiting the gardens for sure.

The room was fine. Bed was comfortable. The place was clean enough. Fireplace in the room. We did not use it. Nice TV, good size shower. I saw an advertisement about all the rooms having "kitchens" and that is not true. They have a mini-fridge, microwave, and a coffee maker. Our room only had two paper cups to use. No mugs or other cups. We were fine with all that as we were only there for one night.

The grounds were kept up well. Lots of attractive plants and flowers. The Wedding Garden just inside the resort is a nice close-in place to walk and enjoy. The pool and hot tub appeared to be fine, but we did not use them. We saw others using them though.

The service was just average at the resort. Three people were working behind the desk but only one was helping customers, so the line to check-in was long. Not sure what the other workers' problem was. I called the front desk around 11pm to ask a question and nobody answered so I had to walk down there, and then they were not very helpful. Certainly not what I'd expect from a "resort."

The dinner at the restaurant was only average. The food was pretty good, but the prices are way too high for what you get. Fortunately we had the package so our entrees were included. However, my steak was priced as $23 and did not include soup or salad. I asked if there was a side salad to add as an appetizer and was told they only have full entree salads, but I could order one of those. The service was very slow. After we had our main course I asked the waitress if there was anything special they did for people's anniversary. Her answer was, "You can order dessert, but you have to pay for it." Very generous. Note: They have a $2 dessert option (little bowl of ice cream), and you'd think they would have that as something they could comp people, but no, you'd be wrong. Anyway, we did order dessert, a delicious brownie sundae, but then the waitress just came and dropped it off without saying anything. And this was after I had snuck away from the table, tracked down the waitress personally, and told her of our special occasion. Honestly, I've had much better service from any number of chain-restaurants in town. Not what I'd expect from a "resort" again.

The spa. This was my first spa experience. I found it...interesting. My wife and I got a couples massage. It was relaxing and comfortable. It did not blow me away as I always hoped it would. Maybe my hopes were too high. I'm sure the masseuse did a fine job, but whatever. It was a good experience. They do little things to make you relaxed and comfortable from the minute you get in to when you leave. It is what it is supposed to be, I am sure.

As for breakfast...haha! Breakfast buffet...right! I laughed when I read reviews other people wrote about the breakfast. Here is what it is, exactly: Bowl of mini-muffins, of undistinguishable type. They did not look good, but I tried one. I still don't know what kind of muffin it was supposed to be. Bowl of cut-up orange wedges. Looked in vain for a wedge without seeds, but to no avail. Bowl of granola/raisins to make cereal. Then they had hot food: Belgian Waffles (with either jam or molasses, no syrup!), Scrambled Eggs, and Sausage. The eggs and sausage were what you'd expect. They had little packets of instant oatmeal you could add hot water to and eat. They had coffee, tea, orange juice and milk. They did not even have ketchup for the eggs or sausage, much to my wife's chagrin. No potatoes, no toasts, no fruit other than oranges, no juices, other than orange juice. I mean, fine, it's an average hot breakfast you could get at any hotel, but for a "resort"? Come on. Not even maple syrup? What the heck?!?

Lastly, I had to laugh when I read about the hotel's "business center" with "a number of computers." The truth is there is a closet down the hall from the front desk where you round a couple corners to enter, and there are no windows. You are literally in a closet. Inside that closet is one computer, which you stand to use because it is on a counter. There is not enough room for a desk and chair because, again, you are in a closet. And that computer is connected to a printer. I'm guessing the printer doesn't work, but you never know.

Anyway, there you have it. Would I recommend this "resort"? Not to someone who expects a resort. But for what it is, it is fine. It's an okay value if you buy a discounted package, like we did. And we had a great time, but that is because we are blessed to have each other, and we are happy no matter what is going on.

5 Thank Millskills
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silverton
Silverton Inn and Suites
Best Western Woodburn
Best Western Woodburn
#1 of 4 in Woodburn
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel North Salem

Been to Oregon Garden Resort? Share your experiences!