“The ideal bed and breakfast” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of McKenzie Orchards Bed and Breakfast Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Springfield
McKenzie Orchards Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Springfield B&B and Inns
Miami
“The ideal bed and breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

The overview: This lovely bed and breakfast is a real treasure. I have a terrible habit of reading the most negative review first. I am so glad I went with my gut and the weight of positive reviews and disregarded it. MacKenzie Orchards is truly a wonderful place to stay and the owners could not be more pleasant.

The basics: MacKenzie Orchards is immaculately clean, spacious, and provides many amenities. Breakfast is included and is delicious. Beds were the most comfortable of our trip. My wife looked at the tag of the pillows because she is obsessed with them. The surrounding farm lands are idyllic.

In depth: Staying at MacKenzie Orchards is like staying with a highly attentive aunt and uncle. We felt at home as soon as we arrived. Our flight came in late, but Tom was up burning the midnight oil so that we would not be disconcerted upon arrival. Instead of fussing with paperwork, he directed us to our room and told us to worry about it in the morning. This was one of many small kind gestures that we would come to experience over the course of our stay.

Our room was spacious and our bathroom was a real treat--his and her wash basins, a hot tub, powerful shower, and plenty of space to lay out our belongings.

Tom and Karen are both friendly people, but they were perfectly unobtrusive as well. Once I had asked for advice on local breweries, Tom mentioned in passing that he brewed his own beer and would be glad to share one. After I returned from the brewery and while my wife performed the nearly impossible task of trying to make herself more beautiful, we sat down for one of his concoctions. Tom modestly explained that the IPA was a bit "green" in the bottle. But I couldn't tell. The beer and the conversation were both refreshing.

Conclusion: After staying here, we went to Portland and visited with an old professor friend of mine, his wife, and their kids. They made the mistake of observing that they wanted to go to Eugene. We must have spent about ten minutes extolling the virtues of MacKenzie Orchards. I would recommend MacKenzie Orchards to all my friends and I recommend it to you, kind reader.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor and particularly enjoyed the skylight, but our friends stayed below and h...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I couldn't have chosen a more idyllic place to stay for our weekend in Springfield. We, along with several friends, stayed at MKOBB when we flew into town for our friends' wedding.

I have to confess, it was my first time staying at a Bed and Breakfast and I wasn't sure what to expect. Honestly, it was even better than a luxury hotel. My husband and I chose the Sahalie Falls room-- It was beautifully decorated, spacious, and immaculate, with a beautiful view. In addition to the shower, it has a big tub, a king size bed, and all the amenities of a 5-star hotel-- oh! except a TV. But you will not miss it!! There is so much to see and do at this beautiful home, which, by the way, was built by Tom (the owner) himself and a crew of two people!!

Speaking of Tom-- he and his wife Karen are the perfect hosts: so friendly, so accommodating, and.... great cooks!! We arrived very late on our flight and Tom waited up until nearly midnight just to welcome us. The next morning (and every morning), Tom and Karen cooked us THE most amazing breakfasts, which even consisted of some of the fruits they grow themselves which include okra, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, asparagus, apples, strawberries, basil, hops (with which they make their own beer...), and I'm sure other things I can't remember!

When my group of friends wanted to hang out, there was a lounge (with a TV) and stocked with a comfy couch, big table, and a fridge that all the guests are welcomed to use.

A great spot for a couple or for a group of friends-- I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Sahalie Falls is on the second floor and feels very private.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KarinaSophia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Was here for a wedding last weekend and despite the fact they "welcome dogs," they must mean stuffed ones. We have VERY well-behaved dogs and the woman spent a good chunk of time on the phone w me going back and forth about it, so, I decided to just leave the dogs in the back of the truck to prevent complication.
When going to check out, we didn't get a "good morning," it was all about the check and conversation was short.
With many other options to consider in this area, I don't recommend this place at all.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
cookingteacher1, Owner at McKenzie Orchards Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
We obviously could not meet the needs this guest had; she should have stayed somewhere else. She was attending a nearby wedding; the room was booked for her by the bride and groom without her involvement, and they did not mention she had two dogs with her. We believe her dissatisfaction was largely fueled by her finding out upon checkout that she had to pay for the room, as she had expected it was already paid for. Although we welcome dogs, it is subject to our discretion, and her need for a single bedroom with three adults and two dogs was not going to work well here. When she arrived, she in fact told us "I decided not to bring the dogs because it was too much of a hassle", and we thought the issue was settled. In addition, she cannot fairly evaluate our hospitality as she stayed only one night, was here only briefly, came back very late and declined our breakfast, as she was going to a brunch somewhere else. We had even agreed the night before to prepare her a personal breakfast to meet her dietary requirements, even though we had five other rooms to serve. We showed her the same courtesy and services as we give all our guests -- see review posted by Sandra S. who stayed the same night.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

The moment we arrived at McKenzie Orchards, we were welcomed by our gracious and super helpful hosts, Tom and Karen. They showed us around the place including the guest kitchen and spacious porches. This inn is located on 5 acres near Eugene and the hosts are expert at recommending area attractions and providing directions. The honeymoon suite we had was large, comfortable, quiet, had a great bathroom with jacuzzi e and also large shower. It also had great views of the property including the McKenzie river behind the inn. It was close to many Oregon vineyards, so a tour of some of those provided an interesting adventure. Breakfast cooked by Tom was fantastic and included local fresh fruit.

Room Tip: There are only five rooms and they all had views and looked comfortable. We liked the higher floor...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

I could not be more happy with our recent stay at McKenzie Orchards Bed and Breakfast. We were in town for a local wedding and it recommended by a friend. I am not a huge fan of bed and breakfasts from my experiences in past but this was completely different. It was more like a 5 room hotel then a B and B. The breakfast provided to us both days was better than the one we paid for in our hotel in Portland. The rooms were gigantic and very clean. The bathroom was huge with giant two-person shower. We stayed in the Paradise room but saw a friend's room which was also fantastic. The grounds are beautiful and the staff literally could not have been any kinder or more accommodating. They were incredibly friendly but never overbearing. I honestly have nothing negative I could say about them. Next time we visit we will definitely stay there again without hesitation. Price was incredibly reasonable as well for what you get. Do not look elsewhere in Springfield/Eugene.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

This inn was ideal in all respects for a 2 day reunion of 10 close friends. Rooms were spacious with great beds and bathrooms; the innkeepers were gracious and accommodating; food wonderful and the setting peaceful and restful. Look forward to another visit in the future.

• Stayed May 2013
Kalama, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

The location of this B&B is absolutely beautiful, and the rooms are upscale, comfortable and reasonably priced. The pictures do not do it justice! It’s true, there are no TVs in the rooms, but frankly we didn’t miss it as it is the perfect country spot to curl up with a good book, or just take in the beauty of the grounds. There’s a TV in the lounge downstairs if you find you have to indulge. The owners, Tom and Karen, are delightful and the pride they take in the care of their B&B shows. If you have a dog or two in tow like we did, this B&B could not be more perfect with a couple of rooms that have easy access to the outdoors, and a huge field/meadow where the dogs can romp, play and run. We plan to visit Eugene more often now that we’ve found MacKenzie.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Hilton Garden Inn Eugene / Springfield
#10 of 14 in Springfield
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#2 of 14 in Springfield

Been to McKenzie Orchards Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!