“Never again!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sunriver
Portland, Oregon
“Never again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

Don't waste your time or money! My husband and I came hoping for a relaxing weekend away from the city. The website and reviews we had read all spoke of how Sunriver was beautiful, serene and a nature lover's dream so we wanted to spend our anniversary here. We were truly disappointed. The resort was over run with families and children, so it felt like being at Disneyland. You couldn't even be at the pool to relax because of how noisy it was. It felt crowded and over run, not the peaceful relaxing place we envisioned.

The first night in our room we were woken up by a family checking in at 11:30pm. The walls are so thin that we could hear them slamming doors, jumping and running up and down the stairs and yelling. I called to notify the front desk and they said they'd send someone out. After 30 minutes without a change, I called again. The front desk clerk said "well, they just checked in, so give them some time to settle down". Excuse me?! I didn't pay all this money so that I could share a room with a family of 5. I paid for a private room with the expectation of sleeping through the night. Their total lack of sensitivity and indifference to my complaint was inexcusable. I was basically told to just deal with it. I asked to move to a different room the next morning and I was moved across the village to the area closer to the pool. The noise level was pretty much the same. The construction of these buildings is poor and I felt cheated for paying as much as I did because the value is so low. I wish I had stayed somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bakermj
Sunriver_Resort, Manager at Sunriver Resort, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
I am so sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your most recent visit. We strive to create the perfect environment for all of our guests and it’s extremely disappointing to learn that was not the case during your stay. Please know that we take your feedback seriously and it will certainly be shared with the team. I hope you will consider visiting us again. We have a variety of accommodations, including our deluxe River Lodge rooms and private homes and condominiums at Caldera and Crosswater, that I am confident would be a great fit for your relaxing weekend away! Please contact me directly, it would be my pleasure to assist you in selecting your accommodations.

Krista Miller
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

What a lovely weekend spent in the picturesque Sunriver Resort. Stunning mountain views for 360 degrees don't disappoint. We have been coming to Sunriver Resort every couple of years for the past 10 years and have always had a pleasant and relaxing experience. The staff, the lodge, and the delightful Sunriver Village are what you would expect of a top rated resort. The lodge remains elegantly rustic. The lodge guest rooms have undergone some updates, but could use a bit of spiffing up though they were certainly clean and comfortable. The Village itself is undergoing renovations at the present time and will be quite stunning when finished. We had a delicious meal at The Meadows at the lodge and the service was outstanding. If you are looking for a quiet spot to unwind I would certainly recommend Sunriver Resort. There is something for everyone here from golfing to spas and depending on the time of year skiing, swimming, fishing, hiking, white water rafting and the list goes on!

Room Tip: Upper level rooms are spacious with vaulted ceilings, fireplaces, and decks.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

We've been coming to Sunriver, as a family for 6 years, and my husband himself for over 20 years. Every part of Sunriver is a welcoming, memorable experience...from the miles of bike riding trails, to horseback riding, enjoying the views of the river and mountains, eating in the Meadows restaurant or watching a game in the Owl's Nest, dipping in the hot tubs and heated pools, snacking on goodies at Goody's, or just lounging in the beautiful lodge rooms or houses. We've done it all there (except golf, which is funny - but we aren't golfers) and do it all again and again every time we go and never want to leave. It is one of our most favorite places!! You will not regret a visit to Sunriver!!

Room Tip: River Lodges are the nicest!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank katie k
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

We've heard from many people about this place and visited there very briefly on a long drive return trip from Walla Walla, Washington to San Diego, CA. It was everything I hoped it would be. Quiet, natural, rustic lodge, gorgeous golf course. We had a river lodge room with a balcony overlooking the estuary and golf course. We went to the Owl's Nest Bar and ordered food to go and sat on our balcony watching the sunset and drinking a bottle of L'Ecole No. 41 Luminesce. It was heavenly. The bed was big and comfortable. The bathroom with separate tub and shower was luxurious. The next morning we had a terrific breakfast in the dining room and shopped in the very well appointed gift shop. We definitely want to return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janet1215
The Villages, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

Great resort with great summer weather - 70's daytime, high 40's/low 50's at night - no A/C needed!
We rented a nice house with a hot tub for relaxing after an active day.
Everybody got to do whatever they liked including golf, biking, hiking, rafting, kyacking, horseback riding, spa, pool or nothing.
We loved the free resort transportation system that could handle 1 person or all 6 of us.
The shopping area was simple, but everything we needed.
Highlights were Crosswater golf, the sunset dinner atop Mt. Bachelor and our whitewater rafting trip up in Bend.
Restaurants are good but not great.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

We had been to Sun River each summer for more than 20 years when my husband passed away four years ago. it was necessary for me to return and walk the same trails and visit the same special restaurants and places we had shared for so many years. The weather was perfect and the staff made my journey special.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed at Wildflower 32 and had an excellent stay. It is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit that can sleep up to 6 people. It has both bedrooms and bathrooms on the bottom floor and the dining room, kitchen and living room all on the second story. The second story is very open and can entertain a lot of guests. The master bedroom is nice with its own deck overlooking the golf course. The second bedroom had a double bed and a bunk bed. There is also a sofa bed. The unit had everything you needed for your stay.

We love coming to Sunriver whether it be in the summer with the great weather and all the bike trails or coming in the winter to go to Mt. Bachelor. We will be back and highly recommend staying at Sunriver Resort.

Room Tip: Ask the reservation service about what rooms they have available for your needs and cost. They have...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunriver
Tetherow Lodges
The Oxford Hotel
The Oxford Hotel
#2 of 44 in Bend
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,082 reviews

Been to Sunriver Resort? Share your experiences!