“Great shuttle bus driver”
Review of Sunriver Resort

Sunriver Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sunriver
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Rory our shuttle bus driver was such a great guy! Very personable! Love the great guest service we get when we come here. Great employees! Thanks Rory! We'll be back again next summer. Definitely will raft the river again too it was so much fun!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Windlove
Write a ReviewReviews (2,495)

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Sunriver is a great place to visit it during the day if you bring a lunch, but avoid booking a room or eating in the resort restaurants.
Whoever manages the hotel & restaurant side of the business seems to believe that understaffing is a good way to save money. We arrived on a Sunday at 5:30 PM only to be told our condo was not ready but that they would have housekeeping prioritize us. TWO HOURS later we finally got called by the front desk to say it was ready. Did they offer us anything for our troubles? No, but we demanded something. Elsewhere for coffee or ice cream in resort shops, we found extremely long lines. The next night we ate in a resort restaurant which was only 2/3 full. The kitchen seemed to be understaffed and our waitress would hide in the back. From the time we sat down until we got our entrees was over an 1.5 hours. We complained to the manager who again didn't offer any compensation. The food was average at best even though we had asked the waitress for recommendations.
We thought our experiences golfing and paddle boarding were excellent and well run. The river at the resort is slow moving and easy to handle, too.
We also enjoyed the laid back experience at the Caldera Springs Lake House which was remarkable well run compared to the rest of the hotel staffing. While the restaurant is small, the staff is adequate to handle the number of diners and tables. The food is simple but excellent. If you must eat at Sunriver, go to the Lake House.

Room Tip: Stay in Bend, OR. Sunriver is just a short drive away.
1  Thank 1-TDaddy
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I, and our 2 little boys, just returned from a 2 night stay at this resort. We stayed in a king loft suite #243, which was an awesome space. However, when I made my reservation, I had requested there be 2 baby gates and a crib in the room before our arrival. None of that was in there.
We called to request them, and it took about 20 minutes before someone finally showed up with a baby gate. We mentioned we had asked for two, and he left to go get another one. A while after that, someone else showed up with the crib, which was actually just a pack and play. He didn't set it up for us, just handed it over with a sheet and left. We never did receive the 2nd baby gate. We headed out for dinner, and came back that night to get ready for bed. We called to request blankets to make the couch into a bed for our older son, and in the time it took for those to arrive, my husband tried setting up the pack and play. We have 2 kids, and we have put together plenty of pack and plays without ever an issue, however this one was broken. One of the sides would not click into place to stay up. When the guy showed up with the blankets, my husband told him he couldn't get the pack and play to set up. The guy laughed at him, and left. We called the front desk and asked them to send us a different one. 20 minutes or so later, it finally shows up and we are able to get our now cranky baby to bed.

My husband and I then opened a bottle of wine, and poured it into some of the provided glasses. We raised them to cheer, and realized that the glass I was holding was dirty, with lipstick along the rim of the glass. It was absolutely disgusting. I called and told the front desk, and they sent new glasses, but no apology. I actually work in a hotel as a night auditor, and had this happened at my hotel we would have bent over backwards to remedy the situation, at least would have sent complimentary wine to make up for the now wasted wine that had been poured into the gross glass..

The next day, we went to the pool and really had a fantastic time. About half way through the day, we went back to our room to let the kids rest, and take advantage of the in room kitchen by making lunch. While we were there, the baby gate snapped and broke. We called for another one and again had to wait a long stretch of time before another was brought to us.

The rest of our day was spent taking a beautiful nature walk out to the marina, where we petted horses along the way, and stopped at the Hola restaurant on the marina for some fantastic margaritas. One nice feature of the resort was that when we were done, we were able to call the desk and they sent a van out to pick us up, saving us the long walk back.

That night, I called the desk requesting a late check out for the next day. The girl said that it wouldn't be a problem, and said we could check out at 1. Unfortunately, housekeeping knocked on our door at 8 am the next morning, waking up our kids. We figured we might as well get up early and get ready to leave then.

We ate breakfast at the Meadows restaurant, and I was really impressed by all the food. I had the duck eggs benedict and it was phenomenal, my son's pancakes were delicious, and everyone was happy with their meal.

All in all, I do think it is a beautiful resort. The room was gorgeous. The engineer Brandon was very helpful with a TV issue we had, and Rae was a very friendly driver. We had a great time, but the hiccups we did have really reflected poorly on the staff. Housekeeping primarily is an issue.. There was the lipstick glass which was truly awful, plus makeup fingerprints on the mirror, and dust balls on the floor under the stairs. All really unacceptable things that the front desk did nothing to remedy for us. Not when we told them in the first place, or at check out when we brought it up again.

I would recommend this resort, just.. if you go, don't expect the best service.

Room Tip: Choose a suite! The kitchenette is really great to have if you'd like to spend more money on you...
1  Thank MrsMilgrove
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We arrived in time to find out the house my family had rented and received confirmation for was unavailable. However, a much more expensive home was available if we wanted to have that one! After refusing their illegal offer, they agreed to put us up in a condo instead of a house. Since there were three families sharing this condo, my special needs son and I had to sleep on the landing in a pull-out couch instead of having a room to ourselves, which made things awkward. The cleaning staff and the staff I interacted with outside the office were polite and apologetic, but the office staff were unprofessional, rude and had no idea what they were doing. In fact, the woman who made our travel arrangements was conveniently and unexpectedly "taking a few days off" when we asked to speak with her to clarify what had happened. Her replacement was worse. We traveled from several different states for a family reunion, and this definitely put a crimp in our plans. Not to mention in my neck from a pull-out futon couch! I will NOT be recommending this place to anyone, ever. We will give our hard earned money to a company that gives a damn.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
8  Thank UnhappyInOregon
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was our fifth trip to Sunriver Resort. Very relaxing as always. By staying at the resort, you get access to Crosswater golf course, one of my favorites. The spa staff always takes great care of you. Good variety of restaurants nearby. Lots of activities. Biking, paddle boarding, canoeing, skiing in the winter, 3 golf courses that are nearby. Great place to go for a quick getaway.

Room Tip: I've never had a bad room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent just two days here as part of an Oregon road trip. It was well worth the stay.

Pluses: plenty to do. Usually we get bored quickly, which is why we prefer short stays. We rented a tandem bike; trust me, it's worth it to rent a bike (or bring your own). Activities are quite spread out. We biked to the stables, where we took a two hour guided ride. Slow, certainly suited to novice riders (which we are). Beautiful horses, beautiful scenery; we saw coyotes and deer along the way. Afterward, we kayaked the Deschutes river; stop at the Marina, no reservations needed. They put you in and pick you up six miles downriver. Easy, laid back, great time.

The resort restaurants are very good. The pub has good local beers on tap, great food. The Meadows was also very good for breakfast and dinner. Mind you, dinner is expensive. About $30/up per entree. It was very good, not great, but excellent service and we enjoyed it. Dress for dinner is smart casual. Otherwise, anything goes.

I advise checking the website for other activities; there were plenty we didn't do.

Another plus is that there are laundry facilities available. No charge, unless you need to buy detergent.

Minuses: Almost none, really. But do not try to check in before 4pm! We got there early and had to wait.

Overall, a great brief stay. Great service, friendly staff, beautiful resort. Try to get a view of the golf course. It's fantastic,

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Our reservation for a 2000 sq ft 3 bdrm home with A/C, deck with patio furniture, and a hot tub made April 3, was changed 7/18 due to water problems in the home. 7/18 we were placed in a much larger home at the same price for our inconvenience and on 7/19 we received email with new confirmation info and the property info which included the pin and instructions how to get in. After arriving and completely unpacked, another couple showed up at the door with reservations for this same house. After we both called the reservations desk to straighten out the duplication, the two people I spoke with were extremely rude to me. I've never been treated this way in my life when I've rented any other home and will not be back to this resort. They definitely need some common courtesy classes! We ended up being put into a small 2 bdrm condo with none of the amenities we paid for previously.

7  Thank AugUnhappy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunriver
WorldMark Bend - Seventh Mountain Resort
#32 of 44 in Bend
The Oxford Hotel
The Oxford Hotel
#2 of 44 in Bend

Been to Sunriver Resort? Share your experiences!