“An amazing must visit experience!”

Oregon Observatory at Sunriver
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Sunriver
More attraction details
Owner description: There’s no better place! The local elevation, pitch dark surrounding and crystal clear air make it perfect for star gazing. You won’t be lining up for one telescope. The Oregon Observatory is the largest astronomical viewing facility in the United States. Feast your eyes on far away galaxies. Recognize the rings of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter. Witness a meteor shower. Get a glimpse of globular clusters, nebula and deep space binary stars.
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were able to visit the observatory for the night viewing, it is well worth the $6! They have at least 10 telescopes you can look through to see Saturn and other various galaxy's and star clusters. The guy, Glen, who did the presentation was really nice, you could tell he knew his stuff and enjoyed working there. We are definitely planning on coming back next summer with our son, it was amazing all the things you can learn about the sky! Keep up the good work!

All reviews
"wings"
in 12 reviews
"night viewing"
in 8 reviews
"solar viewing"
in 8 reviews
"the international space station"
"knowledgeable staff"
"light jacket"
"great evening"
"clear sky"

Reviewed 7 August 2013

What a fantastic moonless night with the kids at the observatory. Made us think fun to explore the skies with such a knowledgable and fun staff. Highly recommended family fun.

1  Thank Dalawco
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The Oregon Observatory had many more telescopes than I imagined! I think we looked through at least nine. We were able to see Venus, Saturn, the beginnings of a distant galaxy, and and exploded star, to name a few. It was a little chilly (you are outside) so dress warm! We weren't able to go to the presentation, so I can't comment on that. Well priced for the views that you get.

1  Thank Jeffkelly31
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I've lived in Central Oregon almost 10 years and I'm mad I haven't been to the Oregon Observatory at Sunriver before now. The presentation on Mars by Glen was very informative and the volunteers were amazing with the telescopes. Glen had a great sense of humor especially when my nephew asked him a question that had nothing to do with astronomy. One tip, bring your own bug spray, the bands they offered didn't keep away the Central Oregon vampire mosquitoes.

1  Thank Cindy H
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We took our 11 and 14-year old sons and all of us got a rush each time we looked through the telescopes. It was our first observatory but it sounds like it was one of the best in the nation (not-for-profit anyway). 17 telescopes with the largest being 30". If you get there when the doors open, you get a couple sneak peaks while they set up the telescopes and go about finding the best viewing opportunties that night's sky affords. We couldn't get enough of Jupiter and the moon. There was a half hour presentation on Mars (wear bug repellent- we were eaten alive!) that was very interesting and Glen did a great job on narrating for all ages. Then we bounced around from telescope to telescope, learning about what we were viewing. Some telescopes would be changed during the night to allow us to see other places, so we saw a lot. Then a grandfatherly gentleman guided us through the sky above us with a powerful laser, patiently pointing out all the constellations and points of interest he could find (although I'll admit, I still have a hard time seeing anything as well as the Big Dipper!). Highly recommend this to anyone with any level of interest or knowledge in the night sky!