“Small restaurant”

Ranked #4 of 28 Restaurants in Sunriver
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Rustic farm-to-table Pacific Northwest cuisine served in a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere by our warm and professional staff. Please see our website for the most current menu.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Small restaurant”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Our first experience at South Bend Bistro was so nice we went back with a guest a week later. That first time was excellent: we had the best tuna tartare EVER, served with a bit of crispy potato and sauce of lemon/sesame oil. Mushroom puree (the soup du jour) was also excellent. We both had grilled halibut, served with simple steamed vegetables, and lovely macadamia coconut tarte for dessert. Our server/hostess described it as reminiscent of Southern pecan pie. The wine list is very limited, but adequate.
Our second visit was, alas, disappointing. Service was very slow and they weren't offering the tuna tartare that evening, just a version of scallops. Pear salads were okay, not great; scallops as entrée and duck were adequate. Again, unadorned vegetables like those I'd serve at home.
The interior atmosphere is zip: dim lighting, crowded and claustrophobic. It's much nicer on the patio. The restaurant, because of its size and expense, does not draw the noisy masses of vacationers and children.

Ashland
“The economy is way too good for this place”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We made reservations 20 days ago, because you have too if you want to eat anywhere in Sunriver. We walk in to an almost empty restraint with MANY signs that say that they are booked and to call for reservations for another day... We are having to wait to be seated because we hear a "man" yelling for a waitress to come back to the kitchen and all the staff fallows. Then he proceeds to yell at her that she should NEVER seat people without reservations and if they are late to turn then away. THERE WAS ONLY A VERY FEW PEOPLE IN THE RESTRAINT and they were all out side. NO ONE was in the restraint and your turning people away???? Well...we walked out. If we wanted to hear yelling, we could go home an pick up the kids. I am NOT going to pay for it.-Angelina Gregory

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Angelina G
Bend, Oregon
“A Gourmet experience in a tourist village”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I planned to attend the Sunfest wine festival in Sunriver. I checked on Tripadvisor and other sites for a good restaurant in Sunriver for after the wine tasting. I was very pleasantly surprised when I read the reviews for South Bend Bistro. The reviews really pointed out that this is a small restaurant with limited seating that controls the quality of the experience by using reservations. So I called to see if there was an opening about five hours before they open. Luckily, I got the last spot at their opening time of 5 pm. The outside seating on the patio was delightful. We had read that their cocktails are very good and generous. My wife ordered a coconut Cosmopolitan and I had my usual scotch. Both were very good. Our server recommended the mushroom soup and the Ahi tuna tartar for starters. My wife selected the duck and I ordered the Halibut. All of the dishes were really good and the service was attentive. We will definitely be back and we will definitely make reservations.

Bellevue, WA
“Wonderful Option in Sunriver”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

For years we've talked about eating at South Bend Bistro during our stays in Sunriver, but this is the first time we prepared by making a reservation. Boy were we glad we did. It was an excellent overall meal. My wife and I had different salads and made the same comment almost instantaneously -- "Wow, these aren't over-dressed." Just the right amount of dressing to enhance the salad, but not overpower it. For my entrée, I had the beef tenderloin which was one of the most tender cuts I've had. No steak knife was needed. The regular butter knife worked well, and for several bites I only used my fork to cut it. The only slightly disappointing part of the evening was the an ice-cream cake type of offering. It wasn't bad, but after a couple of bites I realized I wanted to keep the tenderloin taste in my mouth so stopped eating it. Without me saying anything the waitress quietly removed it from the bill.

If the weather is decent, definitely make a reservation to sit outside on the deck. No view, but lots of peace and quiet. Be sure to make reservations early. They're closed Monday and Tuesday and only open for dinner. It's definitely worth going, when you're in Sunriver.

Seattle, Washington
“A good spot for a night out”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This restaurant is where you would go for a nice night out. We made reservations in advance which was a smart move because there was not a lot of seating. We ordered our drinks and I found mine to be incredibly strong (almost too strong) it was a passion fruit sparkling margarita - honestly I couldn't taste the passion fruit at all, just the tequila. We ordered a lovely red wine the Zen Zillah - which I later found out you can purchase at the grocery store for $8 but here was $38 (still good, but a rather high markup). We also tried the "blushing bride" it was delish!
The four of us ordered salads - pear salad and spinach salad they were fabulous. Two of the group ordered the crab cakes and loved them - you get two of them. One of us ordered the grilled rib eye and thought it was too fabulous. I ordered the scallops and thought they were prepared perfectly. For dessert we had the crème brulee, cheesecake, chocolate ice box cake. All fantastic dessert choices. The main areas that caused me to give this a 'very good' rather than 'excellent' review was that the server kept mentioning that she was new and knew very little about the menu, she did this every time she came to our table. The main reason is that we received our salads before our cocktails and our wine before we were done with the cocktails. It almost seemed like we were being rushed to drink and eat and leave. We were there as a nice night away from our small children while on vacation and this was pretty disappointing. With that said, my parents ate there the night before and did not experience the "rushing" feeling that we did and had excellent service. I would go back for sure to eat those fabulous scallops. I would also say that because this place is so quaint I would not bring small children - in my opinion it is more for adults or much older children who would enjoy a finer dining experience.

1 Thank TheTravelingStaggs