“Buy some REAL pillows”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sutherlin
Oregon
“Buy some REAL pillows”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was happy with the room for the price. Clean room and friendly staff. Then when it was time for bed I really noticed the small rock hard pillows and uncomfortable bed. After waking up at 4:00 AM. I got up and showered and left. T he breakfast was good. Shame....I would have scored it higher but getting sleep is kind of important.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LarryM1751
GuestHouse_Sutherlin, Front Office Manager at Motel 6 Sutherlin, OR, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thanks for recognizing our great staff, cleanliness and breakfast. Very sorry you had trouble with the pillows. If we had just known you were uncomfortable in any way while you were here we would have been happy to help! It sounds like you did not realize that the pillow is neatly stuffed into the pillow case for presentation purposes and that you only need to loosen the pillow case. It's similar to the sheets being tightly fitted to the mattress - it would be uncomfortable if you didn't loosen the sheets.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Newport, Oregon
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I got a super great deal on Hotwire.com ( it's the only 2 star in Suthelin). This hotel is vey attractive and nicely kept on the exterior. The room, a single Queen, was small but adequate. It was clean and surprisingly quiet.
Breakfast choices were good: waffles, pre-made omlets, biscuits & gravey, toast, muffins, hot & cold cereal. On Saturday morning there was a very hard working, cheerful breakfast attendant....

I'd definately stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
GuestHouse_Sutherlin, General Manager at Motel 6 Sutherlin, OR, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thanks for the great review. Glad you were able to find a deal on Hotwire. Keep in mind that this time of year we are usually quite full and the "deals" are often not available. We intentionally keep our regular rates very low compared to other options in the area, though, so you are always assured of a good value. Also booking directly gives you the opportunity to be eligible for other discounts that may be available.
Clackamas, Oregon
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were just going to Crater Lake and wanted to stay somewhere overnight so we could enjoy a full day. Great price and room was nice, stayed in single queen room.
Staff was friendly enough but when we got to our room could not believe the pillows..if you can even call them that. Felt and looked like someone just stuck clothes into a pillowcase and it was a very small ball! Most uncomfortable "pillow" ever. They had a top on mattress that was suppose to be a pillow top I guess but it was lumpy and very uncomfortable as well. So after having that to sleep on it was a sore day the next day for us.
The room otherwise was clean and had everything we needed.
However we were with another couple who said their room not only had same pillow and topper problems but it smelled and they couldn't get the smell out but they were so tired they finally went to sleep.
I never had stayed at this hotel chain and took the reviews off trip advisor to see if it was going to be worth it or not so hopefully this will keep someone else from having a bad nights sleep.
Just if you do stay here, bring your own pillows!!!!
We did not eat at the morning breakfast buffet but it did have everything that it claimed to have we just wanted to get out of there and go.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for the compliments on our staff, cleanliness and breakfast. Very sorry you had trouble with the pillows and the mattress topper. If we had just known you were uncomfortable in any way while you were here we would have been happy to help! We actually frequently have guests wanting to purchase our pillows since they love them so much. It sounds like you did not realize that the pillow is neatly stuffed into the pillow case for presentation purposes and that you only need to loosen the pillow case. It's similar to the sheets being tightly fitted to the mattress - it would be uncomfortable if you didn't loosen the sheets. The pillow-top mattress covers are also frequently complimented by guests. Occasionally we have a guest who prefers a harder bed (so we would simply remove the cover) or the pillow top has "bunched" (so we would flatten it or replace it).
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at the GuestHouse Inn in Sutherlin, as it is a great stopping point for our trips to Seattle. The front desk employees are always personable and helpful, the location right off of I-5 and next to the Apple Peddler restaurant makes it an easy stop over, and the price fits the budget nicely. Will make this our "go to" lodging for future trips.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GuestHouse_Sutherlin, Manager at Motel 6 Sutherlin, OR, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thanks for choosing us again and taking the time to share your review. Our terrific staff always likes hearing those compliments. The Apple Peddler is a favorite for many guests and locals alike - being 24/7 with a great menu.
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The staff were great and tried to be helpful, but the pillows from a quarry and the mattresses very lumpy. The noisy kids upstairs that were jumping from bed to bed and falling on the floor much of the night were not the fault of the hotel. Great price.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GuestHouse_Sutherlin, Front Office Manager at Motel 6 Sutherlin, OR, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Thanks for the recognizing our great staff and affordable rates. I apologize that you were not comfortable in the bed in your room. Our beds all have pillow top cushioning and upgraded linens, and we can always add or remove cushioning to meet our guests' comfort level. Please just let us know what we can do for you the next time you are here!
Goleta, California
Reviewed 18 July 2014

When I first made my reservation the person I spoke to was friendly but made me question her competence. She first told me she thought the wedding I was planning to attend had already happened, nor did she ask for a phone number or email to confirm the reservation. I called back later to double-check the reservation with someone else and discovered that the first woman had only booked me for one of the two nights I requested.

When we arrived, I thought the room smelled slightly of smoke, despite being listed as a non-smoking room. I confirmed this with my girlfriend (she agreed) to make sure I wasn't imagining it. The room did not appear to have been cleaned thoroughly before our arrival, as I found large bits of dirt and/or plant material (easily visible to the naked eye) along the floorboards when I turned on the air conditioning.

On the positive side, everyone I dealt with was friendly, and I had no trouble adjusting my reservation several times (including the day I was scheduled to arrive) when my travel situation changed unexpectedly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GuestHouse_Sutherlin, General Manager at Motel 6 Sutherlin, OR, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Thanks for praising our friendly staff and our ability to handle your changes to your travel plans.

Sorry you had any trouble with your reservation. That should never be an issue. If any one of our staff is unable to answer a guest's questions they should certainly make arrangements to find the answers and respond. As you mentioned, you were wise to book directly with us so that your changes could be handled by us. Booking through a 3rd party makes it so we are unable to make those changes for you.

Our hotel is 100% non-smoking.

We work very hard to make sure every room is immaculately clean before guests arrive. It sounds like we missed the mark with your room and for that I am sorry. I encourage every guest to let us know immediately if there is any issue. That way we can solve it for you right then and there!
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Rooms are better lighted than most, making it much easier to operate luggage locks. Two computers are available for guest use. Wall night light in room increases safety. Filtered water available at ice machine (town water tastes of chlorine). Small coin laundry on third floor. Breakfast better than that served at many lower cost hotels. Since we are on a fairly long road trip, we buy a box of our preferred cereal and blueberries to avoid higher calorie items. We use hotel provided coffee, juice, yogurt etc. We have stayed here every two years for at least 10 years with at least three changes in ownership. Fortunately, this property is well-maintained and we will continue to use it as long as we are able to take this trip and as long as current standards are maintained.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2Starbirders
Thanks for the great and detailed review. We are glad you have continued to stay here for many years and we look forward to seeing you again in years to come!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutherlin
Best Western Plus Hartford Lodge
Holiday Inn Express Roseburg
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#7 of 15 in Roseburg

Been to Motel 6 Sutherlin, OR? Share your experiences!