“Pleasently Surprised”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in The Dalles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Pleasently Surprised”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed at the Shilo Inn as a result of using Hot Wire.
I check reviews and thought that my stay could be hit or miss.
My reservation was for 3 adults.

When I checked it I was told that a single king size bed had been requested; that was not going to work with three adults...

When I utilize Hot Wire I am often not given the same courtesies as other guests.

Shilo Inn was the exception, Kristina and Tiffany at the front desk could not have been more friendly and helpful. They moved us to a room wtih two queen beds and we were all set.

Additionally, even though we were Hot Wire guests we still got the breakfast coupons. We were impressed with the free breakfast, sausage and eggs in a sit down restaurant, wow.

For the price, Shilo Inn was great value and they made us feel welcome.

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the river and Dam were nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Thomas T
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Thomas T - Thank you for your wonderful comments and your kind words about our staff. It is always a pleasure to serve our valued guests. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Thank you, Heather Baker, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our stay was ok. The place was ok, but nothing great. The staff was friendly but seemed tired and overworked. Our room was clean and quiet. But the whole placed seems really dated. It wasn't dirty but looked old and worn. I was glad I booked a discount price online because the room was not worth what they wanted at their hotel site. Our stay included breakfast in the onsite restaurant. You had three different choices. The breakfast was good. The restaurant like the rest of the hotel was old and dated. Even though it was ok, I would not stay here again. I guess I expected something better from Shilo.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Joe P - Thank you for your comment about your recent stay with us. We value your comments and thank you for being a valued Shilo Guest. Heather Baker, General Manager
maple grove
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The Dalles is a beautiful place but the Shiloh Inn really needs some major remodeling. There were holes in the bedspread and sheets. Everything needed replacing or upgrading. We were on a cross country trip and this was the worst hotel .

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Ellen B - Thank you for your recent comment, and I sincerely apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. Thank you, Heather Baker, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these The Dalles hotels

Terrebonne, Oregon
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The grounds are well done around the pool. Kids and animal friendly. The building itself needs an upgrade. Stairs and outdoor carpets. About smoke, If the rooms are non smoking that makes people go out on the deck to smoke which effects other people on their decks. It should be emphasized that the rooms are non smoking including decks and have a way for a guest to discretely contact the desk about it. When I was there I was alone, enjoying the view from the deck and thinking about bringing my wife there sometime when the guest below lit up a pipe. I will be hesitant to bring my wife because of that.

The good news is the people are awesome and helpful. I only got one name, TIFFANY, but she has helped me get checked in and oriented twice in the last month and she should be commended and be selected "Employee of the Month" and given a raise! Thanks again Tiffany!

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Mick A. - Thank you for your review and your kind words about our staff. I will be sure to pass along your comments. We are a non-smoking hotel and if a guest does smoke on their balcony and we are made aware of it we ask them to step away. We look forward to welcoming you again, and thank you for being a valued Shilo Guest. Thank you, Heather Baker, General Manger
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I usually stay at the Dalles Inn and Comfort Inn when working in the Dalles. Would recommend those. Actually if I was paying for the room I would stay in the Motel 6 or local motel. I've stayed in many $60/night places that are better than this excuse for a "hotel".

Pros:
-Decent Lounge, cool view of the dam.
-Pretty good wireless overall, surprising.
-Carpet relatively new in rooms (yes, it's a pro i can think of)

Cons
-Very outdated rooms
-20+ year old tv with a whopping 20 channels.
-Spa and fitness room "still out of order". There's reviews in here 7+ months ago that state that.
-Did I mentioned outdated and old? Beds show that as well, some things falling apart, appliances are old but work.
-Paper Thin walls, doors that slam constantly. Part of a hotel is providing a place to sleep and they can't even do that.

I stay in a lot of hotels. I can tell when the owner/manager actually cares about customer service and when all they care about just making money. This place is the latter. There is very cheap things they could do to improve, but they don't. I would be furious if I actually paid the normal rate for this room.

We were forced to stay here because the other hotels were full (this is the only hotel that wasn't, what a coincidence?). I wish my job would have just paid me to camp in a tent.

Don't get me wrong, this would be a mediocre at best hotel at $60-80 a night. Some people are getting charged $120+? Absolute ripoff.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jdankens
Dear Jdankens - Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. We are working towards completion of the spa and fitness center so that our guests may utilize them again. We do hope that you would give us a future chance to earn your confidence. Thank you, Heather Baker. General Manager
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived late and had to take a double queen mini suite instead of the basic double queen room, costing about double. The room itself was decent and clean, slightly better equipped than basics and included a balcony, but not really worth it. The door had been kicked in earlier and would not lock without forcing it. This got us a slight discount, making the resulting price somewhat bearable. Breakfast was not the usual buffet, but a small meal chosen from three distinct options. All were unsatisfyingly small, although the taste was not bad. Location was fine, right next to the interstate and not too loud. Go to another inn if you get to choose.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Eetu P,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely hope that you will give us a future opportunity to be of service to you. Sincerely, H. Baker-General Manager
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived around midnight. The first disappointment was the keys. We wanted 4 but since they did not have electronic locks they could only give us 3 metal keys. Then, the first room smelled like b.o. so we switched rooms. When we awoke and started to explore we realized the whole place smelled of 30 year old smoke. They may be non smoking now but until you update it will always smell of smoke.
Breakfast is limited to 3 choices at the restaurant. Maintenance is shoddy. We moved to another hotel for our second night.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize that your stay with us was not satisfactory. We value your comments and will use them to make improvements. I sincerely hope that you will give us a future opportunity to earn your confidence.
Thank you, H. Baker General Manager
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Celilo Inn
Celilo Inn
#2 of 9 in The Dalles

Been to Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles? Share your experiences!