“Charming place to stay !!”

Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in The Dalles
Portland, Oregon
“Charming place to stay !!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

clean rooms, nice view, pleasant staff the dining room needs improvement but there are many restaurants close by.The free breakfast is not very appealing and the coffee cup, silverware and the oval bowl the biscuits came in were dirty The pool is nice and clean and water is warm. Beautiful view of the river

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Dragonlady529,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to inform the restaurant owners about your restaurant comments. Thank you for being a valued Shilo guest.

Heather Baker-General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Washington
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I wish that I could give "negative" marks. We were on a motorcycle ride and recently stayed at the Shiloh Inn.

We should have slept under the motorcycle. At least then the bugs would have been expected.

When this motel was first constructed it was probably a very nice place to stay. But a lot has happened since the Vietnam War ended. But not much has happened to the property. The decor was old. Not retro. Not "shabby chic." Just old and dated, with a sort of smell. The room wasn't much better.

We were upgraded - for some reason - to a "suite." Remember the old television sets you gave to Goodwill when you upgraded to a flat screen? Evidently this motel went out and bought them. We had two of these boxes in our room. Both of them having a bad picture, poor reception and tinny sound.

And that was the part I liked! The bed was uncomfortable. The linen was old and worn. The tub water had a hard time going anywhere. The toilet ... well ... let's just say that the "third time was a charm."

In the morning I went to the old and dated (maybe that is the theme) restaurant. After waiting for 45 minutes I was finally served my old and dated and dried scrambled eggs, paper thin ham and cheap toast. I would have complained but I did not want to wait another 45 minutes to leave.

Obviously, we won't be back. Hopefully, others will find a reason to stay away as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear PQBrown,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We value our guest comments and will use them to help improve our guest experience.

Heather Baker
General Manger

Travellers are raving about these The Dalles hotels

Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Room was nice and quiet. Staff was friendly and helpful. Views from the restaurant and back deck of lounge were great. Loved the bridge old indian structures and dam. Free breakfast was nice. Would stay here again if we are passing through.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Barney B, Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for being a valued Shilo Guest and we look forward to welcoming you in the future. Thank you, Heather Baker, General Manager
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Nice location next to the Columbia River. That's it for the positive.

Old 1980s facility in need of a major remodeling. Had to switch rooms because of rattling air conditioning unit which woke me up with intermittent BOOMS throughout the night.

It was clean but didn't look and smell clean because everything was so outdated. The toilet and tub were stained because of age.

The first night, the hallway smelled like skunk. The second night, I smelled cigarette smoke (it's a non-smoking hotel) coming from a nearby room. The smell was overwhelming because the hallways have no ventilation. I had a smoke-induced migraine.

I went and switched rooms at 11:30 pm. The staff was very nice and upgraded me to a room in another building. It was slightly better (same style, but two beds) and I was able to sleep without the sound of a rattling air conditioner.

Never Again.

• Stayed July 2014
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Danna G,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We do hope that you will consider returning so that we may be given the chance to earn your patronage once again. Thank you, Heather Baker, General Manager
Brookings, Oregon
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I checked in late on 6-30 and was greeted by two wonderful staff members @ the front desk, Josh & Cassie. They were both polite, courteous and professional. We stayed in the wing facing the Columbia River and had a wonderful view of the dam and spill ways. The room was nice, clean, comfortable, quiet and the staff were excellent. Thank you Cassie & Josh.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river if possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Brad O,
Thank you for your kind words about our staff and facility. We thank you for being a valued Shilo guest and look forward to welcoming you again. Thank you, Heather Baker, General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed at the Shilo Inn as a result of using Hot Wire.
I check reviews and thought that my stay could be hit or miss.
My reservation was for 3 adults.

When I checked it I was told that a single king size bed had been requested; that was not going to work with three adults...

When I utilize Hot Wire I am often not given the same courtesies as other guests.

Shilo Inn was the exception, Kristina and Tiffany at the front desk could not have been more friendly and helpful. They moved us to a room wtih two queen beds and we were all set.

Additionally, even though we were Hot Wire guests we still got the breakfast coupons. We were impressed with the free breakfast, sausage and eggs in a sit down restaurant, wow.

For the price, Shilo Inn was great value and they made us feel welcome.

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the river and Dam were nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Thomas T
Dear Thomas T - Thank you for your wonderful comments and your kind words about our staff. It is always a pleasure to serve our valued guests. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Thank you, Heather Baker, General Manager
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our stay was ok. The place was ok, but nothing great. The staff was friendly but seemed tired and overworked. Our room was clean and quiet. But the whole placed seems really dated. It wasn't dirty but looked old and worn. I was glad I booked a discount price online because the room was not worth what they wanted at their hotel site. Our stay included breakfast in the onsite restaurant. You had three different choices. The breakfast was good. The restaurant like the rest of the hotel was old and dated. Even though it was ok, I would not stay here again. I guess I expected something better from Shilo.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Joe P - Thank you for your comment about your recent stay with us. We value your comments and thank you for being a valued Shilo Guest. Heather Baker, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near The Dalles
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#7 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles? Share your experiences!