“Soooooo Good”

Hi Way House
Ranked #16 of 69 Restaurants in The Dalles
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Vancouver, Washington
“Soooooo Good”
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Stopped here on our way to Portland. So glad we did. Light fluffy onion rings, seafood bisque with a soft sweet bread, thick prime rib that melted in my mouth. We'll be back.

Florence, Oregon
“Very Tasty”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The food was very good....portions were plentiful. I had stuffed prawns, Mike had the fried prawns...or was we know them in Texas....shrimp. They were fresh and large, the bread was fresh and good, fresh asparagus as a side and potatoes. Everything was from scratch, I interrogated them intensely so I would not get a migraine...I did not get a headache........(except for the Scentsy burner at the front door when you walk in.)

We ate here on a recommendation from the hotel we were staying at.
They outside looks unassuming.......the inside looks like you are in a "old time, back in the day, old money/club" with club chairs and booths.

The waitress was very friendly and one of the owners as well. She gave us history of the place, answered all my questions about the Cajun food on the menu......those were not answered to my satisfaction since I lived in Louisiana forever and raised my kids there...I passed on Cajun fare....not really Cajun. However.......everything else should be a go!!!!

• Visited April 2014
The Dalles, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Steak burnt, no, charred solid black, and stuck to the metal serving plate that it was cooked on!”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Went there for Valentine's dinner the day after. Waitress was great, very attentive, very pleasant. Ordered blackened salmon and the 1/2 tenderloin. Salmon was good, but potato and carrots were lukewarm. The tenderloin was burnt literally to a crisp on the metal plate, and was STUCK on the plate. And it was the only item on the plate - 6 oz on a plate. The potato and carrots were scrunched together on a separate small plate. No presentation whatsoever. Husband had to help me pry the steak from the plate (we had smelled something burning from the kitchen just before they presented it). It was fried to a crisp. I got it separated from the plate and turned it over and it was charred black solid! This was a $24 steak!!! There was no way I could eat that. I sent it back and made sure they realized they had totally burned it to a crisp. Ordered a piece of salmon instead and it was okay. The steak shouldn't have even been served in that manner, let alone burned. Here's this little 6 oz steak, about 1/2" thick sitting all alone on the plate. No garnish. No nothing. And literally glued to the plate by burning it on the platter over the stove. We won't be back.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank SMO59
Walla Walla
“A 40 minute wait and still no food”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Our waitress was inattentive. When I ordered root beer she took my order and then said they only serve root beer as an alcoholic drink so they don't any root beer. I asked for ginger ale and she said sure then after along pause informed me they were out of ginger ale. I chose water. My husband ordered an chicken sandwich, I ordered a bowl of seafood bisque with a Cesar salad. When my soup was served it was a cup not a bowl. The waitress said they don't have bowls of soup only cups. Then came back 15 minutes later to tell me she just read my order and that I did order a bowl and she could bring me more. After a total of 45 minutes we still had no food. Our waitress seemed to avoid us. We felt ignored and unattended . I finally stopped her asking where our food was as we had been waiting for quite sometime. She told us they had a large party they were serving. After requesting how much longer she told us the chef said another 15 minutes. We cancelled our chicken sandwich and Cesar salad. The manager comped my husbands beverage and my cup of seafood bisque, which by the way, was disappointing. Won't go back there

• Visited October 2013
Jumping Branch, West Virginia
“Great Prime Rib”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Service was courteous and the prime rib had a great taste. The baked potato was done just right and the asparagus on the side also had a great taste.

• Visited August 2013