“I will not stay again”

Extended Stay America - Portland - Tigard
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Tigard
“I will not stay again”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was only in the room a short time upon registering as I was to leave soon for work. I got in from work very late and took a shower to find the drain in the tub draining so slowly that it allowed "debris" to return from the drain into my shower water. Before completion of my shower, the water was higher than my ankles. I did not mention it at midnight, when I noticed it as there was nothing anyone could do at that time and I was going to bed. When I awakened the next morning, I went to make a pot of coffee only to realize the lid for the coffee pot did not fit and actually fell off while pouring the coffee. Though I did not get burned, it was certainly a possibility. Luckily, I had my own travel coffee mug which I had brought inside as there were no dishes of any sort in the room. There was no cookware, no plates, no coffee cups, no bowls, no drinking glasses. I had the use of a spoon, a fork, two butter knives and a plastic serving spoon. As I was on my way to work, I simply wrote the issues down and put my room number on the paper. I went to the front office upon departure and handed the paper to the clerk, telling her I would be out for the day if she could see to it that these items were fixed "some time today". She nodded while looking me in the eye, my understanding of an acknowledgment. When I returned to the room at 1145 PM, hoping to again take a shower, I found that NOTHING had been done. I went to the office before taking my shower to ask if there was any information as to why these things had not been taken care of. The clerk (of course, a different person) did not know but did offer to have someone fix it "tomorrow" - after I would be checking out. She did provide me with some basic kitchen items though what I really wanted to do was to take a CLEAN bath which was not possible. The staff was all very friendly, the bed was comfortable, the room was comfortable, other than the things I specifically chose your facility for. I travel for my job and look for places in which I can have a few comforts of home while doing so. I purposely chose an ESA facility, rather than another facility MUCH closer to my workplace for this very reason. As I will be in the area a lot in the next few months and will be in need of such accommodations, I will be searching for another establishment. Had I just wanted a bed and TV, I feel I could have pain less money and been equally as accommodated, if not even betty by at least a continental breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Holli N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel itself is acceptable. Not great. Not terrible. This is about the manager and front office staff. My daughter had to be in Portland for a couple of weeks, so I booked this hotel. Then, my wife had to go out and help her. My daughter was12 days into a 15 day stay and went to the front desk and asked if they had any two bed units and could she move into one as there would be two people. They quoted her a price of $60/night and said they would credit the remaining 3 days of her initial stay. Great right? No. So then when discover that they credited back $153 and then charged an extra $15/night for the time she had already been there and also then charged an extra $20/night for the $60 room since there was two people. While these tactics may not be illegal, they are certainly unethical and poor business practices. When my daughter and wife confronted the manager, she replied that was the way it was and there was nothing she could/would do. So they immediately moved to a different hotel. This will probably make it so I would never consider staying at any Extended Stay America.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Gregory J
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights. Our ground floor room was clean and surprisingly quiet. The staff was nice but certainly did not go out of their way at all to be more helpful. If you don't mind not having daily housekeeping and taking your soiled towels to the front desk to exchange for clean ones, it's a comfortable place to stay. Our room also had a recliner which was nice. The laundry room was great and well maintained. We would probably stay here again if we are in the area.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I needed a motel room in Tigard at short notice and a kitchenette simplified matters considerably. This property is a budget motel that nicely met my needs. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was small, but clean and had all that I needed. The grounds are attractive.

I did not try the breakfast, but one was said to be available.

It is close to the freeway, but I found it to be quiet. I would return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Portland, OR
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Budget hotel that is close to I-5. Full kitchen with most everything we needed. They happily allowed our dog! Very quiet even with the interstate near by. Grab and go breakfast an added bonus even the coffee was tolerable.
The staff made our visit better than average!

Stayed January 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Tigard, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you liked our pet-friendly policy, our hotel's quiet location, and our grab-and-go breakfast. As well, it is great to know that our staff provided you with such great service.

Lincoln City, Oregon
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We had a relative at OHSU recovering from cancer surgery and stayed here two times within the last couple of weeks. First time, got a great rate from Hotwire and that's how we discovered the place. Location was convenient. The room was clean, roomy, and had a homey feel. The man at the front desk recommended a great Chinese restaurant that delivered to the room. They made sure we got a ground floor room due to my bad knees

Second time, we decided to bring our dogs and made the reservation directly with the hotel. As a result, the room rate was higher than our first visit. In talking to the person on the phone, she said there would be a $25 dog fee which seemed okay for the two small beagles I clearly told her we'd be bringing. Upon arriving, we found the fee was $25 per dog so the person on the phone was neither truthful nor knowledgeable about that. They also assigned an upstairs room which didn't make sense considering people need to walk the dogs and the aforementioned bad knees from a recent repeat customer.

Jessica was able to move us to a downstairs room--thank you! It was a nice room that was accessible to the extent I needed. I appreciated the grab bars in the shower but didn't see how the shower/tub situation would work for somebody in a wheelchair, for instance. The shower head was awful and it took quite a while to regulate the water temperature. King bed was comfortable and we got a good night's sleep. This is a very peaceful and quiet location. Comments about parking are valid and you can end up some distance from your room. Jessica followed up with a phone call to make sure the room was okay.

There are many good things about this place but in all honesty, we've never paid anything close to $50 for the dogs anywhere else we've stayed. For what we paid in total this night, we could have gotten a place with a hot breakfast in the morning. Although everyone was very nice during both stays and Jessica definitely went out of her way to do what she could, we probably won't stay here again. When guests check in, there should never be "surprises" that cost them more money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Annie - I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review. Please accept my apologies that you were not informed of the correct pet fee when you called to reserve your room. This has been addressed with our front desk staff and your feedback will be very helpful moving forward. As well, I am sorry that you were not given a ground floor room upon checking in; however, I am glad that Jessica was able to find a room that would be more convenient for you. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

stayed here for 3 months on temp work assignment. The room and bedroom was large enough and fairly updated. very quiet. only inconvenience is that you cannot walk to any coffee shops or restaurants. Several times they forgot to clean my room on the scheduled cleaning day, but once i called and ask them to do it, it was done. i have no real complaints. It met its job of being a basic, clean hotel room for an "extended stay". kitchen items were lacking though (no can opener,) but otherwise fine. wifi was great.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tigard
Quality Inn Tigard - Portland Southwest
Phoenix Inn Suites
#5 of 7 in Lake Oswego
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Tigard
Holiday Inn Express Portland South - Lake Oswego

Been to Extended Stay America - Portland - Tigard? Share your experiences!