“post-biking lunch”

Max's Fanno Creek Brew Pub
Ranked #40 of 180 Restaurants in Tigard
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 18 May 2014

we come here to bike the fanno creek trail and enjoy max's pub afterwards. we began with a golden ale, and porter. next, i had the fish tacos with beans/rice. my partner had the portebello sandwich and tater tots. our friends enjoyed their meal too. the server made a substitution for our friends, and he was wonderful about it. the food was delicious too. nice to sit outside.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stopped in at the last minute on a week night, about 6 PM. It was pretty busy which is, in our experience, common for this pub. Working the large floor were one server, one bartender, and the owner. It took about 10 minutes before we were approached by anyone.

We ordered immediately, and I advised the server my only real request was hot fries with my burger; I hate cold fries. When our meals were delivered the fries were cold. Worse still, and something I still can't understand, is there were fried onion strips on my burger and they were stone cold and soggy. It was literally awful. I took this gunk off and ate a pretty good burger. I wanted a second beer and because the server never returned I went to the bar to collect this myself.

When settling the check the server asked if everything was good and I said "no, the fries were stone cold" and she laughed and made an arbitrary comment. Clearly she wasn't listening to me but rather patronizing. We tip 30% as a rule (servers live on tips) and left 10% tonight because the service warranted even less. This made us feel even more badly about the evening.

As we left we passed by the owner and offered our feedback, that the service was terrible, the experience was horrid, and the food was bad. His response was to tell us we were the third complaint of the evening and then he went on to blame the bartender.

The fish rots from the head down. Please do not blame your employee, who was obviously working his tail off, for under-staffing. He may tell you he's got it covered, but you do the scheduling. Staff your restaurant.

If you are going to Max's for a pint or two you might consider sitting at the bar or at one of the high-top tables just outside the bar. We happen to go for dinner, not just drinks and apps, and as we told the owner as we left, we won't be back. At least not for a very long time.

3  Thank Swim54low
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My son and I love the darker beers, even if they don't pair the best with food (other than desserts).

In our previous visit, Max's Fanno Creek Brew Pub was out of the Bull Mountain Stout beer. This time, they had it PLUS the Vanilla Cream Porter. Both were delectable beers, if not the best pairing with the food (my fault, not theirs).

My son and I shared "The Carmen" pizza, minus the green onions. It was VERY GOOD pizza, and their 14-inch size was satisfying for the 2 of us to share.

The staff was very attentive. I recommend Max's Fanno Creek Brew Pub, and I will return!

Reviewed 22 June 2013

we come here once a year after biking the fanno creek trail with some friends. we began with a pitcher of golden ale, and then had the fish tacos with mahi mahi, and the vegeterainean sandwich with a mixed salad. our friends had chicken salad sandwich and turkey potroast sandwich. all were delicious. the server was great and everyone is friendly.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Max's opened in 2006 or 2007, right before the economic downturn in the US and has become a thriving establishment in downtown Tigard, a testament to the reception of the establishment by the local community. We visited a lot up to a few years ago but now not as much.

Situated at the far south-west end on Main Street in downtown Tigard the location is excellent. There is ample street parking that stretches for blocks, and there is a large parking lot behind the building. The decor is nice; murals on the walls, funky light shades, and sometimes quirky framed cartoons on the walls complement the semi-rustic/semi-contemporary theme. Dining is kind of separated into two areas, and a third when the weather is nice and the large area out front is opened for outdoor dining; just upon entering the restaurant is a section with five or six tables, and the main dining area is a rectangle with booths lining the left and back walls, a handful of four person tables on the left that can be moved to configure large parties, a bar with seating on the right wall, and tall six person tables to the right. An additional large room off the back wall can accommodate parties as well. Perhaps caused by the box-like nature of the building, I find the noise level very loud, and when its crowded the noise can be uncomfortably loud.

A brew pub by nature, Max's serves a number of their own beers on tap. While some folks love them, I find them okay but not great. Bottom line is I find most of the beer made by Max's too malty for my taste, and clearly this is a personal preference. The beer prices are right in line with the norm. The offer large pours of acceptable house wine, and this is probably on of the best values in the house.

I believe the food prices are slightly high for the market; doesn't really matter what is on it, the Mad Max burger priced at nearly $16 plus an up-charge for fries rather than chips is too high. That said, I typically do build my own burger and find the combination of quality bun, quality ingredients and cooking methods to be one of the my favorite tasting burgers anywhere. If you are on time for "Hoppy Hour" you will find the typical host of fried offerings at quite reasonable prices, $2-$5 is the norm. Most of the menu items are good but some are failures; the Philly steak sandwich comes quickly to mind as one to avoid.

A handful of issues keep us from frequenting Max's. First, they are typically understaffed. Clearly this is one way to keep a handle on cost in a very low margin industry, I get that. But it is one issue that keeps us away. We visited last night, a Friday, at 6:00, the beginning of the peak run. We waited about 10 minutes before our table was approached by a server. Normally we would have ordered a round of beverages and likely an appetizer, but in this case we had read the menu and just ordered our meals. Failure to serve promptly saved us the cost of another round of drinks and an appetizer and I think of the opportunity cost to the establishment of running understaffed. Next, they cannot serve hot fries. This is a pet peeve for me, if I order fries I want them hot. This is likely caused by their failure to staff adequately. I typically remember to tell our server "I like my fries hot, if they're delivered cold I'll ask you to remove them and bring hot ones." Literally I say this. Last night I forgot and the three of us who had fries as a side received them cold. When the server asked how our food was I told her the fries were stone cold to which she replied she would bring hot ones, after which she tossed a tiny basket of hot fries in the middle of the table, with about 1/4 of them burned. I honestly believe her attitude reflected how hard she was working with the light staff; the servers in general have always been excellent. Finally, Max's touts itself as family friendly which could be good for families of all kinds. The large dining area has a child's play area which is a small area with a low fence and toys for very young children and the front dining area has a small area with a couple of console games and monitors. What is bad is there are frequently children running around the restaurant. Literally running. IMO, the establishment has a responsibility to prohibit a patron from disturbing other patrons and allowing children to run and play as if its a playground is every bit as disturbing as any other type of disruption.

I imagine we will return to Max's, but we will only go at what we would expect to be off hours, I will remember to ask the server to deliver my fries hot, and if there are children running loose we will leave leave and go somewhere else that doesn't allow this.

2  Thank Swim54low

Been to Max's Fanno Creek Brew Pub? Share your experiences!