“Affordable Inferiority”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Tigard
Seattle
“Affordable Inferiority”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

I seriously cannot believe Shilo is charging $90 to stay here. We got this place for $33 per night off Travelocity. We were going to Portland for a wedding and needed something cheap; it is the Great Recession after all and money is tight. I wouldn’t have paid a dime over $33 for this dump.

Checked in and requested king size bed. The room we got had not been cleaned: dirty towels everywhere, bed not made, toilet seat up and bowl filled with urine. We requested a new room, but were downgraded to a queen room.

Throughout our stay we had key card issues, with one of our cards not working. After several tries, we finally got 2 that worked.

Our room smelled like a bomb of some air freshener exploded inside. It was almost hard to breathe inside the room it was so overpowering. The entire time (three days and two nights) we had the window open and A/C going to attempt to air the room out. The furniture looks like it is from the early 80s. The curtains had cigarette burn stains. The entire hotel looks worn, old, poorly maintained, and like it is falling apart.

The alarm clock is bolted to the night stand. Yeah, classy, not.

There is black mold and water damage on the walls in the fitness room. They have strategically placed plastic fichus tress to cover up the black mold. The “fitness room” consists of one ancient treadmill and two weight machines. The Jacuzzi was broken.

When we stayed here it was raining, water was leaking into some guest rooms on the 4th floor and was leaking down into the first floor lobby, making it so that the front door to the hotel at times could not open or close. The front porch area was coated in a puddle of water. The woman at the front desk was asking people what room number they had, and then telling them that they could have water leaking in based on their number.

The pillows suck, and it took us a whole day to get some more pillows in our room. The sheets felt old. The TV is old and has a Nintendo 64 controller, which should give people a clue as to the age and complete lack of updating this hotel has.

The breakfast is basic: cereal, yogurt, make your own waffles, toast, orange and apple juice, and dirt water coffee. The second morning, they were having issues with the orange juice and apple juice machines.

The second morning, they had a complete computer melt down, making it difficult for people to check out. Because we had already paid Travelocity, it did not impact us. But other guests were having issues and being delayed at check out.

It is conveniently located near a shopping mall if you want to engage in tax free shopping.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank platoaristotle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
NM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

My sisters and I stayed at the Shilo Inn recently during a family emergency and we couldn't say enough about the caring staff. We were there during a family illness and death. The staff reduced our rate to the weekly rate without our asking and found a discount for family who only stayed a few days. When we returned a week later they remembered us and again found the best rate for our stay. As we left in the morning and returned, they compassionately asked about our family and expressed sympathy for our loss.

That being said, the hotel was in the beginning of a much-needed remodel. It was clean but dated. The breakfast was good, included fresh apples and sometimes bananas, but could have been better with changes in the choices of cereals and breads.

I would definitely stay there again and would recommend the Shilo Inn because of the compassion of the staff and the excellent service.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank NMtraveler73
Port Orchard, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2010

Don't stay here.
Cons: Elevator is small and makes loud clunking noises that make you worry to use it. The hallways smell like strong, old perfume - perhaps covering another odor? My room smells like body odor. The TV is very old and makes a loud humming noise which makes it difficult to hear the program you are watching. The bed is as hard as a rock and the sheets are worn and barely tucked in. The $10 clock radio is bolted to the night table so you can't pick it up to set it. The chair at the very small table is wobbly. There is no counter space but plenty of cobwebs on the ceiling and stains on the carpet. The curtains have staples in them. They only provide one small towel. One of the lamp shades is broken and keeps falling off the lamp. I can hear the people in the next room. Breakfast consists of prepackaged small blueberry muffins and coffee. Service at the front desk is slow and the kids running the front desk are unskilled. The computer they provide for the "business center" is in the very small lobby and so old it takes 3.5" disks. Too bad I pre-paid for the room with Expedia or I would check out and find a decent place. Pros: My stay is almost over!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Tigard hotels

oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

Please...........I'm assuming that Educated business Travelers arent as stupid as Shilo inn must think we are. There advertisement is a bunch of Crap.I've had the unpleasure of staying in several of there what they call Affordable Excellence hotels and found one to be a little worse then the last. All the way to the last one in Tigard Oregon I finally had words with my Boss aboout his choice of hotels. Thank God. Im not paying for these 1960's era hotels that were remodeled so many times the building forgot how old it was. My company reluctantly pays for my travel stays so I feel pretty well versed when I say Run to Phoenix inn or Embassy suites which are right up the street a little more expensive but well worth the stay. The Carpets are dirty, The beds are Horrible. the breakfast isnt Bad as long as you dont watch the maids clean the area with the same towel that they use on everything else. location wise if you want drugs theres section 8 housing around the corner. Its not the safest of areas in fact the clerk and i were talking and she told me that have been robbed a few times this yeart. GREAT I think I'll stay at the Embassy suirtes. Thanks for your time.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Lodi, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2008

We were on a road trip through Oregon and stayed in three Shilo Inns. The entire chain is tired and in need of renovation but the other two shiols were acceptable. Our room was shabby and the carpet was filthy. Also, the location is poor for restaurants.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — cleanliness, location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1122011o
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2008

I booked this hotel based on the fact that I have stayed at Shilo Inns around the northwest and have always been satisfied. This property isnt their best. The place is clean, dont get me wrong, the carpets are new and the bathroom was newer.
The hallways are somewhat dark and unfriendly but they have new carpet and wallpaper. The elevator is old and very loud and clanky. The room itself was semi large, not really a suite but not small.
The TV was a 19" 1983 model and there was a fridge and micro in the room. The bed was kind of crappy and the comforter was kind of gross, pilling and dark.
What struck me as very odd was that the door locks actually have KEYS.. regular keys... I hadnt seen that in a hotel in 10 years so I was kind of laughing.
There was nothing terrible about this hotel, it was just subpar from what I would have expected from Shilo and not really a place that I would prefer to stay.
They did have fresh apples in the lobby and newspapers which I really appreciated as I usually avoid the breakfasts in hotels which are usually carb and sugar based and just head to starbucks.

If I had to stay here again I would, it just wouldnt be my first choice... or my second..... or third..

• Liked — Location and Staff
  • Disliked — just kind of dingy....
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
backofbookbob
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2008

I work for one of the AAA affiliates. My job has taken me to the Tigard area twice a week since September. They have gone out of their way to make me feel "at home" as I spend time away from my family. From the marketing manager to the front desk clerks---I have always had a great experience each and every week--which makes my time away a little more bearable. Others from our company are also beginning to use the Tigard location as well on their trips to Portland. Keep up the good work and I'll be seeing you again next week.!!!!!

• Liked — service/location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tigard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square
Comfort Suites Southwest
#55 of 139 in Portland
Extended Stay America - Portland - Tigard
Best Western Plus Northwind Inn & Suites

Been to Washington Square Hotel - Tigard? Share your experiences!